Hydrualic return filter blown seal

/ Hydrualic return filter blown seal #1  

fawcekj

Tractor
Kubota GL3130-HST
I have a small backhoe that has a PTO pump and reservior with a Ikron model HF620-20 return line filter assembly. The other day after running the hoe for awhile, it blew the base of the filter can off the top of the filter. Anyway my question is as follows:
(See attached picture)
1. The Ikron filter assembly has what looks like a set screw on the side top of the unit. Does anyone know if this is some form of byass adjustment to control the amount of fluid (pressure) that gets filtered and or bypassed straight to the tank?

2. On the top of the Ikron filter assembly there are what looks like arrows. Are these pointers to show the proper direction of flow. The reason I ask is if they are, then I think it was installed backwards because they are poining the wrong way. out of the tank instead of into the tank.

Any help in understanding the operation of this assembly would be appericated. I checked Ikron web site and they don't have any real info on their devices.
Thanks in advance,
Keith

Attachments

• 814352-IKron-620.JPG
    814352-IKron-620.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 273
   / Hydrualic return filter blown seal #2  
The allen screw is just a pipe plug you can use that port for checking pressure. Also the arrows indicate the dicrection of oil flow it looks from the picture that filter is being used as a suction filter

/ Hydrualic return filter blown seal
Dirthog,
Thanks for the reply. The Left hose in the picture, is a 1/2" return line from the control valve to the filter. There is another 3/4" line coming off the tank not shown in the picture, that goes to the in-port on the PTO pump? Then there is a different 1/2" hose coming from the out port on the PTO pump that goes to the control valve in port. That being said, do you know if running the oil through the IKRON assembly backwards would be trying to force too much of the oil through the filter?
( When the filter can separated at it's top, it sprayed oil 7 feet into the air, it gave me a nice warm shower on a cool georgia day.) /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
Thanks,

/ Hydrualic return filter blown seal #4  
Running it backwards would seem to defeat any type of spring loaded bypass valve. On a cold day the filter media might not be able to pass the flow which could lead to full pressurization of the filter can. Let's see- 2500 psi in a sheet metal case, the base area of a 3 inch filter is 6 or 7 square inches. So do you think the sheetmetal case could hold up to a (6*2500)= 15000 lb weight pulling on it? Like 3 full sized trucks super glued to the base.

The backwards filter base was a screw up. Be certain that fluid does indeed flow as you stated and then flip it.

/ Hydrualic return filter blown seal
Thanks, for the help guys. I went ahead and removed the IKRON filter assembly and there was a spring loaded bypass valve in it. I remounted it in the correct direction of flow based on the arrows on it. I used it a little bit and it seems to be working fine, and it seems like it is making a little less noise from the hydraulics.
Again thanks for the advice,