Hypertherm Powermax 600 plasma cutter

/ Hypertherm Powermax 600 plasma cutter #21  
Mark, FYI

If you are cutting 3/8" plate at a 42 degree bevel with a Hypertherm Powermax1250 at 80 Amps....the optimum (not the fastest) cut speed is close to 30 inches per minute, cut quality will be dross free, and we would expect approximately 1800 to 2500 inches of cut (not less than 8'!) before the electrode and nozzle should be changed. Pierce time for this system under these cutting conditions would be .75 seconds, not 4 seconds as you suggest. I'd be happy to set up this type of cut and videotape it for reference.....if the Everlast guys would be willing to do the same!

Perhaps you could send me a note to let me know where this demo took place...I'd like to determine what was the issue. I look forward to hearing from you, Jim Colt jim.colt@hypertherm.com

Just went to a demonstration today of their 80 amp unit on a plasma table. I wasn't particularly impressed. Hypertherm touts its long life consumables, and the consumable didn't even make it through its first 8 ft linear cut on a new table. The techs were mumbling a lot about issues they were having with some things. I am going back tomorrow to see part two of the demonstration so I hope things improve. I know what I have heard about their units have been wonderful, and glowing, but it was struggling to cut 3/8" plate on a 42 degree bevel, around 2 feet per minute cutting speed, and they had to increase pierce delay time to around 4 seconds. Not to discourage anybody from purchasing, one, I was considerably taken back by its performance, since, many people have given such high marks....I was expecting much more performance, after having used our units for so long. I think if they figure out the roasted consumable issue, things might work better. I am sure there is some reason this happening. But as soon as the techs saw the problems, they started making all sorts of excuses about the quality of the air supply and other issues that caused it, but several other Millers are in use around the shop and the tanks is drained daily and high quality dryers are used on the line... It may also have been from the settings within the CNC table. But it was shooting a steady shower of sparks while the pilot arc was engaged.

/ Hypertherm Powermax 600 plasma cutter #22  
And, back to the original post! The Powermax600 is a great find if you run across a used one. There are more than 55,000 of them in the field, and will be supported by Hypertherm for many years in terms of replacement parts, consumables, torches, as well as free factory tech service support via phone or internet. The 600 has been replaced by the newer Powermax45 in the product lineup.

Typical resale pricing on used 600's varies.....if the unit has had a torch upgrade...it will have a newer style torch (better cut quality, longer consumable life)...the new style torch is labled "RT60"...so look for that.

Price range for an operating Powermax600 with the old style torch should be in the $600 to $800 range, with the RT60, probably in the $700 to $950 range. You can buy a brand new Powermax45 (more power, more compact, longer consumable life) in the $1600 to $2200 range....depending on how much the distributor is willing to discount!

Both units had a suggested list of around $2100 when new.

Jim Colt

/ Hypertherm Powermax 600 plasma cutter #24  
I think Elvis has left the room.

I have done some homework on plasma cutters and will own one in the future. Hypertherm is by far the best quality unit I have researched so far. They are expensive and with the limited usage I have a used one would be more than adequate. So far those that have them will not release them from their grips. Guess i will have to be nice to the banker...

/ Hypertherm Powermax 600 plasma cutter #26  
I'm still lurking! It is kind of funny....I frequent this site because I have a horse farm, with Kubota's (L4310, RTV900), I also happen to be an employee /owner of Hypertherm, manufacturer of plasma cutting equipment....and I happen to have a metal fab shop with hand held and cnc plasma cutting equipment in my home shop (you can guess what brand plasma!).
I guess when someone knocks the equipment built by the company you have worked for for over 32 years....you tend to get rather defensive! Mark from Everlast promotes his line of import (read low cost) entry level plasma systems.....which there is certainly a place for in the market.

I am always up for cut to cut comparison testing between extremely low cost import units and the higher cost domestic units....their must be a difference...or Hypertherm likely would not be in business! However, for the occasional user that does not have the budget for buying an industrial tool....the choice is a used piece of equipment.....which is what this thread was about, or buying a low cost import, and many go for the low cost units.

Personally, I'd rather buy a used, high quality piece of equipment that still has available parts and factory and regional support.....hence my recomendations on reasonable prices for a used Hypertherm Powermax600.

I lurk on this site and dozens of other metal fab and welding sites....if anyone has plasma related questions....I'm happy to jump in.

Best regards, Jim Colt

/ Hypertherm Powermax 600 plasma cutter #27  
I'm still lurking! It is kind of funny....I frequent this site because I have a horse farm, with Kubota's (L4310, RTV900), I also happen to be an employee /owner of Hypertherm, manufacturer of plasma cutting equipment....and I happen to have a metal fab shop with hand held and cnc plasma cutting equipment in my home shop (you can guess what brand plasma!).
I guess when someone knocks the equipment built by the company you have worked for for over 32 years....you tend to get rather defensive! Mark from Everlast promotes his line of import (read low cost) entry level plasma systems.....which there is certainly a place for in the market.

I am always up for cut to cut comparison testing between extremely low cost import units and the higher cost domestic units....their must be a difference...or Hypertherm likely would not be in business! However, for the occasional user that does not have the budget for buying an industrial tool....the choice is a used piece of equipment.....which is what this thread was about, or buying a low cost import, and many go for the low cost units.

Personally, I'd rather buy a used, high quality piece of equipment that still has available parts and factory and regional support.....hence my recomendations on reasonable prices for a used Hypertherm Powermax600.

I lurk on this site and dozens of other metal fab and welding sites....if anyone has plasma related questions....I'm happy to jump in.

Best regards, Jim Colt

Jim, Thanks for the Powermax info. I ended up here tonight after seeing a Powermax 600 on the local craigslist and doing some googling. After reading your comments, I think I'll save for awhile and get a new Powermax45. I'm alway leery of used equipment and as a long time GM employee, I really see the need for this country to keep high quality / high tech firms alive. Does Hypertherm ever have a sale?
Ron

Last edited:
   / Hypertherm Powermax 600 plasma cutter #28  
Jim might know the answer to this, I have an extremely low houred Powermax 600 I bought new. Still on the original spare kit that came with it. It was bought to put on a cnc table that never happened.

I have the original PAC torch on it and frequently have to insert and remove the consumables to get the safety to reset after it has been sitting a couple of months. Because of this I tend to grab my torches when I'm in a hurry since I don't have time to fuss with the plasma torch head. Is there a common thing to go wrong in the old PAC torch?

/ Hypertherm Powermax 600 plasma cutter #29  
Does it have a couple of pins in the torch handle head under the insulator that make contact when the consumables are installed? They keep the torch from firing when the consumables are loosened. One of them may not be making contact, or the insulator may not be screwed on all of the way. Just a thought.

/ Hypertherm Powermax 600 plasma cutter #30  
Actually with the Powermax600 torch there is a microswitch built into the torch....this switch is the "parts in place" switch that ensures the consumables are in the torch. Make sure you are using the correct consumable parts (compare the part numbers to the ones recommended in the operators manual) as the wrong mix of parts, or sometimes aftermarket, non Hypertherm parts stack up tolerances can cause this problem. If it appears everything is being done correctly....then download the service manual from Hypertherm | Plasma Cutters | Plasma Cutting Equipment | Metal Cutting Equipment (click on the "downloads library" tab, choose Powermax600 and service manual) and there is a good breakdown of the torch assembly. It is relatively easy to replace the swicth....or perhaps it is dirty or out of adjustment.

You can also call the staff at Hypertherm tech service....they are very helpful and free as well!

Jim Colt Hypertherm