Hypothetical Doomsday Scenario

/ Hypothetical Doomsday Scenario #283  
LoL. No, no it wouldn't.

A SCUD-B will barely get to 100 miles altitude if fired straight up. There is no way, using a SCUD-B, to get to 300 miles altitude. Understand that getting from 100 miles to 300 miles altitude requires a lot more than 3 times the fuel -- it's more like 30 times the fuel. There are only 4 or 5 launch platforms capable of >250 miles altitude, and none of them are inexpensive do-it-yourself types even for rouge governments with modest R&D budgets.

In general, a ballistic missile's maximum possible altitude if fired straight up is approximately one half it's specified design range. This is physics, basic energy equations.

There are SCUD-derivatives (e.g., the "Al Hussein") which have greater range than the SCUD-B, but they also have far less payload (again, as an example, the "Al Hussein" can carry just over 1K lbs of warhead).

Wrooster

I said a scud launcher I didn't say launching a scud missile. The launcher and the missile are two different things. I'm sorry if I wasn't more clear.

/ Hypothetical Doomsday Scenario #284  
I said a scud launcher I didn't say launching a scud missile. The launcher and the missile are two different things. I'm sorry if I wasn't more clear.
Ok fair enough. I'll clarify as well: nothing launched from a SCUD launcher is achieving 300 miles altitude.

Wrooster

/ Hypothetical Doomsday Scenario #285  
Ok fair enough. I'll clarify as well: nothing launched from a SCUD launcher is achieving 300 miles altitude.

Wrooster

The experts on EMPs (the advisers to the military) have said that a scud launcher could be retrofit to do the job. But their point was mainly that its the nuke that is hard to come up with. The deployment mechanism can be crude.

/ Hypothetical Doomsday Scenario #286  
The experts on EMPs (the advisers to the military)
Who?

have said that a scud launcher could be retrofit to do the job.
I don't know any other way to say this but as follows: a SCUD launch vehicle is designed to carry and launch a relatively lightweight 37 foot long ballistic missile. I am telling you that there is no possible way to get a 37 foot long ballistic missile w/nuclear payload to a LEO (low earth orbit) altitude of 300 miles -- again, it's just physics. The ISS (International Space Station) is in LEO 250 miles up -- and you need another 50 miles on top of that to get to your target altitude of 300 miles. Research what is needed to bring 1KG of payload to the ISS, that will give you a good idea of what's involved here.

Here is a list of what are known as "Small Lift/Launch Systems", which is basically a compendium of rocket platforms designed to bring between 1lb and 10Klbs to LEO altitude.
Comparison of orbital launch systems - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You'll note that the SMALLEST of the lot is about 100' in length, and the WEIGHT of the fuel alone makes such a launch/lift platform IMPOSSIBLE to have on a SCUD mobile erector/launcher platform. Of course over the years there have been some "one-off" designs that have had a smaller form-factor -- the only problem is that after ignition very often these types of missiles don't make it any farther than the launch facility parking lot -- and the resulting fireworks are pretty impressive when you have 30 tons of hydrazine and liquid oxygen combined with a source of heat...

But their point was mainly that its the nuke that is hard to come up with. The deployment mechanism can be crude.
"Crude" and ">100 miles altitude" are not compatible aspects -- unless you want tiny pieces of your only nuclear device scattered all over the launch site.

Wrooster

/ Hypothetical Doomsday Scenario #289  

I watched a lot of the video... It was enlightening, but disturbing at the same time to know we are doing so little about EMP. I mentioned a Carrington event to an electric company executive a few years ago, and he had never heard of such a thing.

James K0UA

/ Hypothetical Doomsday Scenario #290  
Thanks for posting. When I attempted to view the video, the caption stated that the video was presently unavailable. Hopefully, later.

It did that to me the first time too (I watched it about a year ago but checked it yesterday when I went to look for the link) but worked when I reloaded the page.