Hypothetical Doomsday Scenario

/ Hypothetical Doomsday Scenario #41  
I wouldn't press it... but I would sure like things to be simpler.

There are many possible and a few more likely scenarios for TEOTWAWKI and this is one that is a bit higher on the list. Personally, I think a worldwide pandemic is just as likely.
We've already dodged the bullet once or twice in the last few decades. The first known Ebola case was put on an international flight from Africa to France. Luckily no one was infected on the flight.
Less than 12 miles from Washington D.C. monkeys at a holding facility were found to be infected with a mutated form of Ebola and were handled extremely carelessly before they knew what they were dying from. Luckily the virus had not mutated to the point of being able to infect humans.
Go back 100 years and the 1918 Influenza pandemic. Fully 1/4 of the worlds population was infected and at minimum 3% of the population died but it was probably more than that.
We've been lucky for a long time.

/ Hypothetical Doomsday Scenario #42  
I respect your opinion, but strongly disagree. Hypothetical scenarios are a way of imagining a myriad of different possibilities. The question of "What if?" is the most powerful question ever conceived in the history of mankind. Those who don't ask questions are doomed to live out their lives in ignorance.

OK.. now explore this: a fleet of Klingon battle cruisers are in orbit around our planet, and a delegation of Klingon warriors transport down and declare this planet is now a part of the Klingon empire, and we are all just slaves to the Klingon's or we can all be dead in 3 minutes. See how this can just go on and on.. It is just as likely as the "push button" don't you think?

James K0UA

/ Hypothetical Doomsday Scenario #43  
Just FYI...the "button" does exist on a somewhat geographically limited basis, and has existed since the late 1940s...a nuclear weapon, a rather large one , was developed by the now defunct USSR...the weapon was intended to be launched into space over a given landmass and detonated...the resulting electromagnetic pulse (EMP) would have wreaked havoc on all electronics and electric items, to include the national powergrid on the given land mass...to think the US did not develop the same weapon would be naive...as a side note there would have been no other hazard from the weapon (ie...thermal, shock, or radiation)...and no, I wouldn't push the "button"...

Rich

Edit: Oh yeah, this was not a hypothetical weapon, it was developed, and put into service, just not used............yet.........

/ Hypothetical Doomsday Scenario
OK.. now explore this: a fleet of Klingon battle cruisers are in orbit around our planet, and a delegation of Klingon warriors transport down and declare this planet is now a part of the Klingon empire, and we are all just slaves to the Klingon's or we can all be dead in 3 minutes. See how this can just go on and on.. It is just as likely as the "push button" don't you think?

Yes, it can go on and on, but that's the point, one learns as they go. By the way, it may not be Klingons, but the universe is a big place and it's entirely possible that aliens could someday visit planet Earth, unlikely perhaps, but possible. Since we're using examples, lets look at an unlikely scenario that actually happened... Almost noone thought that 9/11 could happen, but it did.

/ Hypothetical Doomsday Scenario #45  
Yes, it can go on and on, but that's the point, one learns as they go. By the way, it may not be Klingons, but the universe is a big place and it's entirely possible that aliens could someday visit planet Earth, unlikely perhaps, but possible. Since we're using examples, lets look at an unlikely scenario that actually happened... Almost noone thought that 9/11 could happen, but it did.

Well... you got me there...I still remember that beautiful September morning and driving to work listening to the radio...

James K0UA

/ Hypothetical Doomsday Scenario #47  
Since the OP initially stated that this was directed or implied a Hypothetical Scenario, there have many and several opinionated statements made in regards to the Costs and Effects and Results of such an occurrence taking place. Has anyone every read about the "Dark Ages"? The Dark Ages could be summarized and compared to the difference in size between a Pebble and a Boulder compared to this possible event that may or may not become a reality. Past events, both natural and man made, would be pale in contrast to the events that would occur. Starvation and deaths on an unprecedented scale would be the result. People would see their Loved ones perish as a result of their inability to provide for them or protect them. How many of you could stand by helpless and realizing that no antibiotics, medicine, ambulatory or medical care will be available for your Family members, Friends, and Neighbors? If anyone thinks that they would be relatively able to survive because they live in the Country, have their own water well, gardens, ammo and weapons; they are truly living in a "Walter Mitty" World or "Fantasy land". The millions that live in the largest cities would result in a Mass Exodus to the less populated and rural areas. The weak, that did survive, would be controlled by Factions that were controlled by Warlords. There would be total chaos, complete disregard for anything resembling Civility. Women and Girls would be raped. People would be tortured publicly to send a statement to those that opposed the Totalitarian Powers in control. In essence, there wouldn't really be any Winners - only Losers in the end. Even the controlling and powerful factions would inevitably be the beginning to an END. There were those that made statements in regards to surviving during the Depression or living in the 1880's. But the situations that exist today are not even close to those that existed in those ERA'S. Diversity could have been considered in those times, but would be of little consequence in regards to the domino effect that would occur in modern times. It wasn't my intention to ostracize anyone's post or convictions, but truly if I appeared to talk in a condescending manner in regards to the issue, it is because of the dire situation that would affect every living person on this Planet if such a situation occurred. Can anyone, in a clear conscience, even consider that the total abolishment of Modern Technology would be a "Good Thing" and benefit Mankind? I sincerely hope that we will never be faced with such events, but the possibility remains high. The mindset of the entire Human Race needs to make a change in direction, or we are all DOOMED. Thanks for listening.

/ Hypothetical Doomsday Scenario #48  
Creekbend....I have to agree with all you posted....very scary times...anyone who can just imagine Iran with a nuke and a balistic missle has to see the end of times...and that does not even have anything to do with our infrastructure being wiped out...Just losing all electricity would kill most people...there would be no water..they would have about 3 days to live...the stores would be empty in 72 hrs. at the most...Yes it would be the end times...!

/ Hypothetical Doomsday Scenario
Has anyone every read about the "Dark Ages"?

The Dark Ages led to the Renaissance, which in turn, gave rise to historical figures such as Leonardo da Vinci and Michelangelo.

Can anyone, in a clear conscience, even consider that the total abolishment of Modern Technology would be a "Good Thing" and benefit Mankind?

Yes, I can.

Have you looked around lately? People seem to be turning into zombies, becoming ever more hopelessly addicted to their precious gadgets, all the while forgetting how to actually live their lives. Opinions obviously vary, but I believe that we would be much better off without being so dependent on technology for our very survival.

/ Hypothetical Doomsday Scenario #50  

James K0UA

Well, No! (Said in Dan's best Valley Girl voice)

If the Klingons were here so would be Kirk or Picard with Worf! We know who would WIN! :D:D:D

On Sept. 11, I was at work when someone said that a plane had hit one of the towers. The coworker had been on the CNN site and saw the news. We all started looking at webpages and wondering what was happening when the second hit and found out about the third plane in MD. I went out to the truck and brought in a radio so we could get more information....

When Challenger blew up I saw the smoke driving to work. When I got to work we gathered around one of the few TVs to get the news before an announcement was made on the PA...

Later,
Dan