Hypothetical Towing Question

/ Hypothetical Towing Question #1  

CompactTractorFan

Tractor
Kubota BX25
OK, lets just say you don't want to spend money on a truck for your new 10,000 pound GVWR dump or equipment trailer that weighs 2,000 pounds empty. You have an existing large SUV with a tow rating of 9,000 pounds. What would be the right (and legal) way to do it?

1. You use "as is" and don't load over 7,000 pounds in the trailer.

OR

2. You "derate" the trailer to 9,000 pounds. (if this can be done)

This all came about when I started reading all peoples post in this forum, and then I started searching on the internet about towing laws.:confused:

/ Hypothetical Towing Question #2  
Use as is, but I wouldn't get near the "7000" lbs of available payload. That's just me, ymmv though. And make dang sure the brakes on the trailer are working!!

All that aside, I have a difficult time understanding why you would get such a heavy duty dump trailer, but not budget/factor in a heavy duty truck to tow it with??

/ Hypothetical Towing Question
Remember that this is just a hypothetical towing question. I was just saying it since you would have to probably go to a smaller (in size & weight) 7,000 pound GVWR. While a 10,000 pound GVWR trailer is just rated for 1,000 more pounds.

/ Hypothetical Towing Question #4  
"1. You use "as is" and don't load over 7,000 pounds in the trailer.

OR

2. You "derate" the trailer to 9,000 pounds. (if this can be done)"

Maybe I'm missing the question, but to me, these both sound like the same thing. If you limit your payload to 7,000 lbs, you are, in effect, "derating" the trailer to a 9,000 lb trailer.

As long as you're not over the tow rating of the vehicle, the rating of the hitch or the rating of the trailer, I think you're good to go.

That is why I asked, because some things I read on here made me think that not loading it to capacity would be illegal if the vehicle's tow rating was lower than the GVWR of the trailer.

/ Hypothetical Towing Question #6  
That is why I asked, because some things I read on here made me think that not loading it to capacity would be illegal if the vehicle's tow rating was lower than the GVWR of the trailer.
Depends on the state. I would use it as is and load smartly. My uncle has towed his 14,000# dump trailer with his Expedition and now his 08 F-150 with no issues. He just limits his loads.

Chris

/ Hypothetical Towing Question #7  
I believe in my state, you can be pulling an empty 10,000 lb rated tractor with your 7,000 lb rated truck and get a ticket. You can have the "faceplate" replaced with one from the manufacturer for a lower rating. Some places you can get away with just registering it for a lower weight. Some places you can get away with doing nothing.

The random enforcement of these regulations is extremely frustrating.

Ken

/ Hypothetical Towing Question #8  
We've discussed this previously. I did research in Virginia and established that there is no issue with purchasing and using a trailer with weight capabilities beyond those of your tow vehicle.

For me, I have an Expedition (which is probably what you have) and was faced with the decision of buying a 7k# trailer and leaving 2k# of capacity on the table or buying a 10k# trailer for $300 more and the only downside is the additional weight of the trailer itself. Of course, the additional weight of the trailer is more than offset by the additional load I can carry.

The important thing is that you operate to your GCVWR...the maximum permissible weight of your entire rig. I have to stay under 14,800# scaleable weight for the entire rig. When I go to pick up 3 tons of stone, I take everything out of my truck...tools, strollers, and other heavy items to do my best and stay under the GCVWR. And with 3 tons of stone, I'm within 200# either way, depending. If I'm over, it's usually because I'm carrying something else.

Personally, I think it is safer to carry the same load on an up-rated trailer as you are using a lower percentage of the trailer's capacity.

I actually asked the person at my DMV when I was registering the trailer if I could modify the "registered" capacity of the trailer. Her response was that I could not since they are compelled to type in the capacity provided on the Certificate of Origin (or the Title if you're buying used). The only way would be to have a factory-issued Certificate of Origin with the lower trailer rating for THAT trailer (VIN number and all).

So, as Chris said, load your limit. Not much can be said if you scale below your GCVWR.

Thanks for the replies! I was just using the SUV as an example. So does this apply to any vehicle/trailer?

What if you have a car with a tow rating of 1,000 pounds and you get a trailer with a GVWR of 1,500 pounds that weighs 500 pounds and you haul 500 pounds or less. Would it be the same?