Hyundai Gas Golf cart...problems starting - help

/ Hyundai Gas Golf cart...problems starting - help #11  
Any more thoughts. ?
Just back to your original idea,,,,the starter or starter solenoid.

If its chevy style, could pull it and clean internal contacts. Might get you by for a while.

/ Hyundai Gas Golf cart...problems starting - help #12  
Thanks for all the replies...We owned this golf cart and then gave it to my son so I am realying the information he is giving me..He tells me that when they tapped on the solenoid it would then start but now tapping on the solenoid no longer works and it just makes the whirring noise as JLSargent described. The whirring noise always happened and when you pressed the gas pedal in forward or reverse the engine would start and now whether in forward or reverse it is just the whirring noise and no engine turn over in forward or reverse..the battery is fully charged and terminals are clean...Any more thoughts. ?

Ahhhh,,, At work I refer to this as "Paul Harvey Maintenance" Because after you have worked on it a bit, you get "The Rest of the Story" :laughing:

Woop out your handy testlight, need to sort out the voltage test light you need. Have to sit and look at the wiring a bit, I am betting you just need a 12V but some golfcarts do funny things and come from different schools of thought than I have, so assuming you have one 12V battery I will assume that you have a 4 post solenoid that this is hooked too. If he has been tapping on it, then your son should know it's exact location :laughing:

Anyway, sometimes these are called 2 and 2 solenoids because you will normally have 2 large and 2 small wires attached.

Sometimes they will just be three wires. 2 big and one small. Makes it easier to check. :D

Hook test light to ground, then touch each side of the big wires, should read hot to one, cold to the other.

Now check both little wires, should both read cold. By Hot I mean the light lights, and cold, no light.

MAKE SURE that you have a light when you touch the one side of the big wire (lets you know you have a good ground and your test light is working)

Now, keeping fingers, toes and essential body parts clear, with your test light on the small wire (either) have someone try and start it. If no light, try the other side.

This will tell you if the switch, safeties, etc. are working and telling the solenoid to GO, if you have a light on. I am betting you will have a light.

Now go to the big wire that was not hot, have them try and start it again, I will bet you will have no light.

If all the above is the case, then you have a bad solenoid. If you have a light on the big wire that was initially cold when you turn the key, then you may have a starter problem. ( I did say May)

Good luck, remember to scratch around some with the test light and wiggle the gator clamp to insure a good connection.

Thinking about it again. I am wondering if your "whirring Noise" is the starter spinning and your bendix is not throwing forward. Guessing again, but I wonder if the solenoid is as said before, on the starter, Chevy style and tapping it is loosening the bendix enough to throw forward.

Put your (or have your son) put his hand on the starter body (careful not to loose any valuable pieces) and turn the key and see if it is spinning (you will feel the motion / vibration) If it is, I bet you have a stuck bendix, pull starter and clean and lubricate with the weasel pee of your choice, I recommend a true oil, not WD-40 for a lube (works great to clean though) and then bench test (the bendix gear should throw forward when power is applied)

Have fun

Last edited: