I Am Afraid To Ask...But..

/ I Am Afraid To Ask...But.. #1  

hunterridgefarm

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130DT, Kubota L185DT, JD LX277
Here is the situation: (long post but I'll get to the question)

I am a non-commissioned salesman for a Aerospace machining company. Since I have broken all sales records for the last two years I was informed I would receive a bonus check around the 1st of March which should be after taxes $3000-$6000. Since this is money we were not planning on my wife is letting me spend 1/4 to 1/2 on implements I have been wanting. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Now she knows I will not spend for something unless I need it...and if I don't need it for 6 months,I'll wait till then to buy, but I my fool her this time. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I have had several post the last few weeks asking about some implements and a couple of current post now on Backpack Blower and post hole digger.

I just bought a Digital Camera (thanks for the help on that) so now I will be able to post pictures of my new implements and house building project. I am meeting with a friend who does grading work in the next week or two and get pricing for the driveway and grading for the house. If his pricing is too high we may buy a used dozer for this and future work on property...however the probability of his pricing being to high is low.

What I WILL buy is:
Post Hole Digger
Forks for FEL
Backpack Blower
Nail Gun
2-bottom plow (looking for used one)

What else do you think I need? /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I want: tiller, grapple, landscape rake, new set of disc. Or I could take the cash and sell a couple of tractors and buy 60HP like I want but not have all the implements I need.

I will have to do some landscaping around the house, clear roots, etc. I have a tooth bar and 2 boxblabes, etc, so would the landscape rake help...will have a long driveway.

Have more to say but better stop here, don't want too long of a post. And will be checking back a couple of times this weekend...looking at implements Saturday /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

So help me spend a "little of my unexpected money" /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ I Am Afraid To Ask...But.. #2  
Sounds like a plan! On the plow, suggest a Dearborn or an Oliver 3pt or and IH/White. As far as I'm concerned they last a century or so and pull better than the majority out there. Now, since you seem to be serious about your stuff/tractors, and if you don't have a welder, maybe you should take a look for a decent AC/DC welder now and hold off on one of the implements till later as most of us wonder what we did before without one. Just my $.02. BobG in VA

/ I Am Afraid To Ask...But.. #3  
Can't advise on the attachments (not that I'm adverse to helping you spend your $$ /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif ) but it really depends on the specifics of what you're going to be doing.

I do second BobG's suggestion about a welder. I bought a Miller 251 MIG last summer and I'm sure getting my $$worth out of it. I recently completed a steel dolly for my BH (I can now move the BH around my barn w/out help from anyone) and am just starting work on a log splitter. Welder is SUPER useful and its also a real kick to be learning welding.

Spend your $$ happily.

/ I Am Afraid To Ask...But.. #4  
Would really need to know more about what you want to do on the 172 acres. Having that said I would sell all the tractors except for the JD lawn mower, buy a real utility tractor (such as the M series Kubota or the JD 5000 series) and then it's back to the question of what you want to do on the property too determine what you want to accomplish, Then we could talk about attachments /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

David

/ I Am Afraid To Ask...But..
First, the welder is an excellent suggestion. I have an arc welder and would like a mig and tig. I will need to build a new workshop first, and I do have access to about 12 welders at work.

Of the 172 acres we have a 29 acre farm in another county we lease to a farmer, I will be fencing the home place, barn, and several outbuildings in for future gererations of our family to see where Great Granddad grew up.

1-2 year plan:
The other 140 is 80-85% wooded. I will be doing some clearing and making mountain bike and walking trails. I will be farming about 4 acres. This is the plan for the next year or two. Plus building workshop and barn.

5 years from now plan:
My BIL has 30-45 ac in pasture that he does not work. So the plan is to take that over in 2-3 years for livestock and/or hay.

5-10 year plan:

Establish a couple of Greenhouses and a roadside market for organic produce, and blueberry farm, as well as increasing shub business we currently do (small scale at this time).
Wife retires with 30 years in the school system. I retire when roadside market can support itself and us with our retirement plans at work, my estimated age then 57.

This plan is a work in progress. We have a blueberry farm 1/2 mile from us and good friends with owner, he is offering all the seedlings we need free. He is 70 something and his kids are not real involved with the farm. Other friends have a apple orchard and small seasonal store with lots of in state and out of state visitors again less than 1/2 mile from us. We will advertise together.

The plan is to sell a couple of tractors this year and buy a utility 50-70 HP. However realistically I can put this off till next year. Really depends on the new house and barn/workshop and the time involved here.

/ I Am Afraid To Ask...But.. #6  
how much will you use the PHD? Is it something you could just rent for a bit, then return?

From what you say, a rake sounds like a good addition (and not too much $$$).

/ I Am Afraid To Ask...But.. #7  
HRF,

The 4n1 bucket I bought is the single best tractor purchase I have ever bought. You can use it to grab, grade, lift, level and many other tasks. I think a landscape rake is handy, but if I were to spend on one tractor item, it would be the 4n1. It looks like Saturday's shopping might be delayed secondary to the incoming weather, according to the "clown."

John M

PHD is a must, plan on small native grape vineyard that we also sell.

Landscape rake is high on the list, I have never had a need for one but I think I will now.

John,
The 4n1 has always been at the top of my list. However the weight of the bucket, I think, will lower my lift cap. to much on the 3130. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif But not the utility /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif and I will have me one of those!!

The "weather" I'll just wait and see on that; it would be nice to push a little snow!! Then I'll be ready for some 75 degree sunshine!!

/ I Am Afraid To Ask...But.. #10  
From your bio, it almost seems you've got more tractors than implements. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I think a with the % wooded acres a root rake grapple might suit your immediate needs most.