I am the new guy. Question on new purchase.

/ I am the new guy. Question on new purchase. #21  
Welcome, IMHO, if available bump that plow blade up to a 60". Once the plow blade is angled, a 54" makes an awfully small path.

/ I am the new guy. Question on new purchase. #22  
I have just about ten acres and have been using a 1026-sized machine for 8 years now, along with a much larger one also. For mowing, general upkeep and gardening, the little one fits the bill nicely but the big one is used for any kind of heavy work. If you want just one, I agree something a bit larger than a 1026 would be preferable.

I notice there's a Kubota dealer also very close to you, in Carleton. Don't know anything about the dealers in your area; whatever brand you favor, find a good dealer. You may or may not find your $21k will buy you more tractor if it's orange instead of green. For that matter, there are other excellent products from other brands you could consider. Good luck and have fun shopping.

/ I am the new guy. Question on new purchase. #23  
Hello forum. I am new to this board and to tractors altogether. I am a city guy, who has lived on a 10 acre farm for now for 13 years. Anyway, I have been doing a lot of my yard work with used lawn tractors of various brands since day one. Of course I am now tired of the things needing constant work and am buying new. I need something more than a glorified lawn mower. I have a few horses now, a large garden and a large driveway to plow (I live in Michigan). So I priced out a new JD 1026R with the H120 FEL, 647 rotary tiller, 54" snow plow, and 60" mowing deck, Ballast box. Total package priced out at $21,000. Is this a reasonable price? I know I may be able to save some here or there, but this place is literally 4 miles from my house. Very convenient. They also have excellent customer service as I have done business with them on other things than tractors. Anyway, any comments are welcome. Also, since I am new to tractors altogether, I likely will have many questions in years to come. Happy to be aboard the board. :)

Can you break out the pricing of each item so we can get a comparison with other machines and equipment. I have a feeling that you can better that deal with a different color for both the equipment and the tractor. Tractor is too small anyway but lets see how we can help you to spend your money to better suit your needs.

/ I am the new guy. Question on new purchase. #24  
Yes, We do enjoy spending other peoples money.:laughing:

/ I am the new guy. Question on new purchase. #26  
WELCOME TO TBN R1 tires are good in the mud or snow wheres as R4 are easy on the lawn i say get the R1 i made the mistake of R 4 on my last tractor they stuked in the woods the R1 do alot better R1 are pretty good on ice to happy tractor shopping

/ I am the new guy. Question on new purchase. #27  
:welcome: to TBN. You will find lots of help and answer, even if not what is needed. Just enjoy your self on the forums here.
just my :2cents: worth...

Tom:thumbsup:

/ I am the new guy. Question on new purchase. #28  
I'm going to suggest looking at something bigger, a lot bigger. JD 3000 series, Kubota Grand L 3240,3540. Do yourself a favor and pick a distance that you wouldn't mind driving to look at a tractor. Whatever that distance might be, go and look at every brand that there is in that radius. You might be pleasantly surprised at what you see, then again you might not, but you at least would have looked at them and would know what your alternatives are. Just because it has a name on it that you recognize doesn't mean that it is the best tractor for you and your circumstances.

Just my :2cents: good luck. ;)

/ I am the new guy. Question on new purchase. #29  
Hello, and welcome to the forum. I too started out thinking like you, and after doing some serious comparison shopping I ended up with a LS R3039H, a 39 hp tractor. You really should think "long tern", and make sure you pick a tractor that will do not only what you want to do now, but in the future, as well. The JD that you are looking at is a nice little machine, for what it is, but consider your limitations as far as the weight of the tractor, the lifting capacity, and it's ability to handle more implements. I ended up buying the most horsepower I could get in a frame size that would suit my property. My LS gives me 2250 lbs of loader lift capacity, weighs in around 4000 lbs, and I have the ability to use some pretty substantial attachments.
I pull a 6 ft box blade like it isn't even back there, have a root grapple, and a stump bucket.

Do yourself a favor, and don't jump into anything without looking at different makes and models of tractors. Drive them around and make sure you like the way it "feels" to you. I found the LS tractors to be the best value for the dollar to be had. Plus they carry a 5 yr. warranty.

Feel free to contact me, if I can be of any help.
Randy

/ I am the new guy. Question on new purchase. #30  
I agree with many if the other folks that something bigger might be the way to go. There is a Kioti dealer in Monroe, and I was very impressed with the DK series I looked at. Just north of Ann Arbor is an LS and Kioti dealer, and you can see that for a pretty reasonable number you can get a lot more tractor.

LS 3033 Tractor Loader compact

PS you can check out my R4047H if you want to get an idea of fit/finish, and save some driving.

Last edited: