I Beam flex???

/ I Beam flex??? #12  
Dan,

First I think you'd want it rated for at least 1 ton. Seems like a lot of time & money to invest to move 300#. Probably better off with some kind of motorized portable crane for the smaller load.

Need more info on these 2X6" trusses. Wood or metal? Typically overhead cranes are supported on vertical steel I beams that are also cross braced. May be worth contacting a crane installer & have the sales rep out for a visit. He can show you some installations & you can pick his brain & maybe buy a component or two from him.

There is value in buying the crane as an installed package, one entity is responsible for the safety & performance of the system. Even being an egineer myself, I lean towards a single source integrated solution just for the liability.

Another option is to have a professional mechanical or civil engineer design & specify the system & then you can build it yourself (probably need some hlep as that steel is HEAVY!)

Good luck. Sounds like a fun project.

/ I Beam flex??? #13  
RobS - I was lucky to actually have a table that included moments of inertia - I don't usually get lucky.
Here is a quick and dirty formula for I-beams in case others want to play with the numbers. It's slightly off since it doesn't account for radii, etc. I checked it against the listed values - pretty close, just a little less - which will help provide a little safety factor.

Definitions:
FW = flange width
FT = flange thickness
H = height of I beam
WT = web thickness

I = (FW * H^3) / 12 - [(FW - WT) * {H-(2*FT)}^3] / 12

Note that this is NOT VALID for an I beam laid on its side.

/ I Beam flex??? #14  
My concern with your design would be the support of this entire system on 2 x 6 trusses on 7.5' centers. I can't picture a truss supporting that load even close to the ends, as you mention. Also, how much flex will the 4" I-beam have between the 7.5' centers where it is supported by the truss? If I understand the description, the 4" I-beam will be supporting one end of the 30' bridge as well as the rolling trolley with its weight plus anything it is lifting. Am I missing something?

/ I Beam flex???
I will post some pix's of bowls later. Right now I have either sold them or have them on consignment. I will be starting to turn American Chestnut bowls very soon. Yes the American Chestnut that is rare and endangered. I had an ailing one in my side yard and it had to come down to clear my building... Made me sick cutting it down, so the least I can do is show my reverence and make beautiful bowls out of it.

DrDan

/ I Beam flex???
Ok, the trusses are actually 2" X 8" and fit into a mortise on the top of (3) 2" X 6" that are laminated together using screws and glue. Super stout building. Each truss sits on a column which are imbedded in a 24" diameter X 4' deep concrete pad.

I see no use for the lift going right to the walls so I will mount the longitudinal beams in about 24" from the columns. Originally I had thought about 4" X 4" steel columns to support the longitudinal beams, but they will "always" be in the way! In addition I have the heat in the floor and have to be careful with drilling into the floor to mount anything. The best plan is to hang them off the trusses if I can do so safely.

So we are actually talking a bridge of 24' and I guess I can tolerate a little more flex than 3/8" An inch or 1.5" would not put too much of a valley in the center and cause the trolley to roll towards the middle.

I am definitely on a budget here and can't even consider having a crane company come in and do the job. Originally I considered making the bridge motorized and bought a gear motor on eBay, but with good trolleys (I am thinking about the Jet 1.5 Ton for each end of bridge) with ball bearing steel wheels I think I can get away w/o powering the beast.

How much flex would there be on the heavy web 6" I-Beam at 24' long with 1000# on it?

Yes I love cranes also. I buy alot of steel (I also do ornamental iron work) and just love to watch the crane at the steel suppliers. It's a 26 Ton with double powered lifts on the bridge. Bridge must be 100' long. I watch them lift an 18 ton beam off a truck the other day (from a distance) and it handled it like a baby!

Love it! Used to work at Fairbanks Morse when they were still building railroad switch engines. Saw two manned overhead cranes pick up the whole engine several times. Like I say, I think cranes are one of my loves!

Actually I would love to put two lifts on the bridge. It is so cool the things you can do when you can lift both ends of long objects.

So I'm having a ball thinking over the options and appreciate all your help guys. Yes money is an object so I have to come up with a workable plan. Can't really put much more than $4000 to $5000 into the total package. That cuts out the commercial boys!

DrDan

/ I Beam flex??? #18  
Hi Dr Dan

Some years back i made a beam to spand 20' that i lifted bulka bags of fertilizer about 1ton. this beam i made out of 2" reject exhaust pipe laminated 6 pieces together and 2 top and bottom like this (end veiw) never even flexed a mm
.OOO
.. O
.. O
.. O
.. O
.OOO

/ I Beam flex??? #19  
DrDan, I hate to throw cold water on a hot fire, but unless I'm reading things wrong, you are headed for some trouble with a bridge crane. First, alignment of the rails and bridge is critical, or the bridge will crab and lock up. The jet trollys would give you trouble, unless you double up on them and but a 4 foot beam between them.
The big question in my mind is do you need as much crane as you are engineering? Wouldn't you be able to use a double A frame with a beam across the top and a good set of casters on it to accomplish your goal? I've built a couple of that style and find them far more useful than a bridge since they can be moved in and out of place relatively quick. We have no trouble moving them with 1800# hanging on the 8" casters on a concrete floor.

/ I Beam flex???
My shop is too crowded with machines for that Franz

DrDan