I bit the bullet

/ I bit the bullet
well there are a couple of things I figured out REAL quick. First of all... to alot of people, the color of the tractor is much more important than the function of the tractor and weather there is a Chevrolet or a Ford parked in the driveway. Forunately for me, I was color blind coming into this and was able to purchase the little tractor based on specs, visual inspection, and a little play time on each one. Truth be told, aesthetically the Kubota is the best looking one out of the bunch. Not that I care for "hugger" orange either.

The items that brought me around to paying the difference for the Massey (which was more expensive by about 1000.00) was A. The larger displacement motor and lower RPM range. That seems to tell me that the motor does not have to "work" as hard especially at lower RPM. During my test play sessions it seemed to prove itself because at lowered RPM levels it almost seemed like the Kubota worked harder to operate the attachements. The Massey did not seem to care. Keep in mind these were unloaded attachements too. That also goes along with most motors that higher RPM motors always make their power on the top end. That is great as long as that is where you intend to operate the unit. The Deere was a great little tractor but it was actually killed from the list fairly quickley. The main reason being that from my opinion.... the bh was an afterthought, as well as a new addition to the series and I do not like being a "beta" testor. The other killing factor for the deere was on the specs. On paper, especially comparing price; it just did not compare to justify the larger price tag. To me the Kubota and the Massey were specfic engineered pieces that have been on the market for a while and I could much more easily justify the larger price tag on the Massey.
As far as the work in concerned.... I have plenty of it lined out all ready. If the weather stays good, the first thing that will happen this weekend is that I will be putting our back yard on grade again. We had the whole perimeter of the house dug up last summer to put in new drainage for the basement. I also need to get the garden turned and ready to plant. I am also working on a carport area off of the drive that I have to bring up several feet, dig footers, pour retaining walls, and get on grade. Not to mention that I need to dig a trench from the garage to the out barn for power and water. ect ... ect... ect....

/ I bit the bullet #12  
I have to agree with all the points that 61flattop brought up. I was originally going orange or green until I saw red. Right now I think I want red for all the same reasons that 61flattop said. However I thought the green tractor was cuter than the orange tractor.

On a side note (not trying to hijack thread) has anyone got a toothbar for there GC2310 or GC2300. Any advice, prices?

/ I bit the bullet
Heck... Hijack it.... this can be the official 2310 thread :D Actually I think that if alot of people would look a little further that there would be more Massey's in garages. Me being new to this whole deal it actually took me about 2 weeks to even discover that Massey made a tractor in this class.:D

/ I bit the bullet #14  
Your post on cost struck me as suprised,as Massey being the highest,I found MF the cheapest,Kubota 500 more and JD 750 more.

/ I bit the bullet
Elmo said:
Your post on cost struck me as suprised,as Massey being the highest,I found MF the cheapest,Kubota 500 more and JD 750 more.

The Massey was cheaper than the JD but it was about a 1000 more then the Kubota. I was quoted 17 flat for a new BX 24, and I paid 18,024. And I guess that is not entirely accurate. Because I did also get filled AG tires and a 48" Box blade with the Massey.... neither of those or selling a tractor I think even crossed the Kubota dealers mind. And that is sad because I have bought several Cub Cadet pieces from them in the past.

/ I bit the bullet #17  
61flattop said:
... I did also get filled AG tires and a 48" Box blade with the Massey....

Now, the price diff is pocket change :) My dealer carried MF too but, didn't really want to sell any and had them priced higher. Glad to see another GC TLB poster because there just haven't been enough to compare info for new buyers. If I were in the market, I think I'd probably get one now because the BX24 has 3 strikes for me: slam-stop HST, 1/4" valve, plastic where plastic don't belong.
Anxious to to hear how you like working it.
Cheers!

/ I bit the bullet #18  
61flattop said:
Actually I think that if alot of people would look a little further that there would be more Massey's in garages.

I think that is very true. The first time I saw a Kubota BX I wanted one. I wasn't going to look at anything else. But, I could not afford it at the time. This gave me opportunities to look at others MFG. I found TBN, read alot of good things about the GC2310, got a good price and am currently a happy owner.

/ I bit the bullet #19  
I hadn't even heard of MF until I stopped by the old neighbors (30+ acre beef cattle farmer) and he said how much he loved the massey that he had. So then I started doing more research. I just wonder how popular a tractor is depends on the region that you are in. It's possible that MF has a much bigger following other places than where I live, all that I see when I drive around are Kubotas and JD's in the newer compact range.

/ I bit the bullet #20  
Congrats. I'm sure you will enjoy that GC2300. Now the waiting for it to arrive.:)

Jim