I broke my backhoe again.

/ I broke my backhoe again. #1  

ON84

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti DK45S Massey GC1705 JD-L120 JD-LA165
DK45/50 backhoe subframe. I guess the hydraulics are stronger than the steel.
The local machine shop came to the rescue again. They welded the crack area and added reinforcement plates to both sides in less than an hour.

Attachments

• SFCrack.jpg
    SFCrack.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 624
  • SFLabel.jpg
    SFLabel.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 518
  • SFWeld.jpg
    SFWeld.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 650
   / I broke my backhoe again. #2  
DK45/50 backhoe subframe. I guess the hydraulics are stronger than the steel.
The local machine shop came to the rescue again. They welded the crack area and added reinforcement plates to both sides in less than an hour.

Where is that on the subframe, I have a DK40SE and hoe, I might take a look and inspect my subframe.

/ I broke my backhoe again. #3  
Are you making sure the bolts holding the backhoe to the sub-frame are tight?

Those bolts need to be very tight! If they aren't they will allow some free play and that will let the hoe get a start before it hits the frame giving it much more stress than its designed to take.

Just like the loader bolts they can work themselves loose and need to be checked frequently

/ I broke my backhoe again. #4  
My bolts worked their way loose when my BH was very new. When I tightened them I actually sheared them off so I replaced them with new super strong grade bolts and they've stayed good and tight. ON84, how may hours do you estimate you have on the BH?

/ I broke my backhoe again.
Apsterbobed:
The crack was right below the angle brace bolt. Picture attached.

Paulfun9:
Your are so right. Those bolts keep coming loose, but I think the operator (me) is to blame for the crack. On multiple occasions I would start digging with the boom and dipper stick fully extended. I'm surprised it didn't crack sooner.

JimmyJ:
I'm going to guess about 400 hours on the backhoe. Really tough slugging. Stumps and rocks. Constantly up against the relief valve. I'm very pleased with the backhoe and tractor. 2007 DK45S 520 hours, almost all on the backhoe. Total repairs to date: $85.
SFCrackArrow.jpgRocks.jpgStumps.jpg

/ I broke my backhoe again. #6  
That's a lot more hours than I have, I would guess I have less than 100. Your tractor is a lot more beefy than mine too, it's amazing the stress we put on these things.

/ I broke my backhoe again. #7  
If your bolts keep working their way loose I would invest in some new and better bolts like jimmyj did. Mine have only worked their way loose once but I do check them regularly and when I tighten them I really crank down on them with some oversize wrenches

If mine were to work loose more than 2 times I would replace them without hesitation!

/ I broke my backhoe again. #8  
I will have to check mine but I had the dealer weld some of the places that bolted together and I think that was one of them. I just didn't trust that the bolts wouldn't work loose. I have had a few fisher plows and the drop brackets are bolted on and always work loose, when they do the threads get mashed and you can't tighten them just replace them. Now I just get the drop brackets welded and the bolts never work loose. I figured the hoe was going to be the same way. The only down side is that if you want to sell or trade either the hoe or the tractor and keep the other you would have to cut the welds to change the subframe. I figured by the time I trade the tractor the hoe will probably go with it, and if not we will cross that bridge when we get there.

/ I broke my backhoe again. #9  
I welded those arms and backhoe to my sub frame.

/ I broke my backhoe again. #10  
ON84; is that lady a midget?!

You have some serious boulders and wood there.