I broke my SLT 1554 PTO Drive Belt

/ I broke my SLT 1554 PTO Drive Belt #11  
I tried to loosen the engine. After removing the four bolts holding the engine down, it wouldn't wiggle much because the muffler was holding the exaust pipes tight. So, I removed the muffler. Still all it would do is wiggle. The pto clutch keep getting caught on part of the steering gear. I never could get enough clearance to slide the new belt on. I don't think removing the belt guides would help either. So tractor is at shop and grass is growing. My dashund is slowly disappearing. This is the second belt replacement in 165 hours. I may invest in impact wrench to remove pto clutch.

/ I broke my SLT 1554 PTO Drive Belt #12  
Got my mower back from the shop. LT1554. According to the paper work, in order to replace the drive belt, they had to pull the engine. No wonder it is hard to do at home. I don't know why it is designed like that.

harryoh_98

/ I broke my SLT 1554 PTO Drive Belt #13  
WOW!... Having to go thru all that to replace a belt! I hope your problem is solved. That could get **** expensive!

Michael

/ I broke my SLT 1554 PTO Drive Belt #14  
I had to replace mine @ 214hrs since it was missing chunks out of the belt, what a pain, I removed the deck, pto clutch with a impact wrench and it came right off, of course the drive pulley was STUCK. It would not come off with persuasion from an air hammer, the pulley is to flimsy to use a puller on so I got mad and cut the tabs as another user had mentioned.
There are things about this mower I like, and things I don't like, This in my opinion is a Cub cadet Engineering marvel. Something that should be simple is a complete nightmare, I mean really, pull the engine to change the belt..... Oh well its done and it is running fine.....

/ I broke my SLT 1554 PTO Drive Belt #15  
The "standard belts" they use must be very cheaply made. I have replaced the PTO belt at least 3 or 4 times. Once was due to my own stupidity as I didn't have the twist on the front pulleys right. The current belt is about ready to go as it has several cracks in it. I am just going to run it til it breaks.
The next belt is going to be the Kevlar belt.

Michael

/ I broke my SLT 1554 PTO Drive Belt #16  
Hello,

All your posts helped. I am not very good mechanically. Just for the novice people what I did.
1-Took old belt off after you remove the mowing deck, Cut it (take pic first)
2-Unscrewed the steering bars (2 of them)
3-unplugged PTO, used an air impact to remove PTO
4-put belt on rear, will not work if you do this last if you have fan above
5-Took out the 4 motor bolts (move steering to clear 2 of them)
6-Had friend help wiggle motor and tilt forward (need help only for this)
7-pull the new belt through and while motor is tipped put belt on
8-didnt have to bend guides, anti freeze shaft and put PTO on
9-make sure belt is on correct (do not tension belt)
10-put bolts back in, be careful its aluminum block I think
11-tension the pulley correctly
12-put steering bars back on
13-plug PTO into connector

Not as bad as I thought, 45min-1 hr total. Motor loosening not bad, easier than I thought. Make sure you have a friend wiggle and tilt motor forward a little (mine only lifted 1-2 inches so dont expect alot). You CANT do this alone unless you are a pro and even that will be hard. The biggest time was finding my Air impact. Also when tightening use 35lb racket impact so you don't break it. High impact can be used for removal. Also bolts loosen counter clockwise (normal). No one mentions this.I applied anti freeze lube anywhere I had access since it was apart. Lastly, take a phone pic of the belt and anything you are unsure about or before you take apart. It only takes a second so make sure you take advantage of it. Good luck....................