I can afford the 19k tractor....it's all the other stuff!

/ I can afford the 19k tractor....it's all the other stuff! #11  
It is amaizing how fast $25 a week can turn into a Box Blade

/ I can afford the 19k tractor....it's all the other stuff! #12  
jbrumberg said:
Tractoritis is insidious and pervasive :eek:. There is no known cure, but it can be managed with difficulty. Jay :D

NOT TRUE...Just take(purchase) TWO TRACTORS and call me in the morning...:rolleyes:

/ I can afford the 19k tractor....it's all the other stuff! #13  
jbrumberg said:
Tractoritis is insidious and pervasive :eek:. There is no known cure, but it can be managed with difficulty. Jay :D

Jay, how?:confused: Could you please let us, or at least me know. What I do know is that it is about to get me in a lot of trouble,:eek: and I don't like being in the dog house.:(

/ I can afford the 19k tractor....it's all the other stuff! #14  
I wasn't really looking for a cure:D
In fact, if things work out well there should be a flail mower added to my collection fairly soon.:cool:

/ I can afford the 19k tractor....it's all the other stuff! #15  
Tractoritis is a function of our genetics, the XY chromosome. We are just wired differently than XX's, and the differences start early. There was a really neat experiment years ago in which the experimenters paired groups of preverbal boys to girls based on pupil response to stimulation (true IQ) and then they exposed both group to different stimulii- pictures of faces and and objects with blinking lights. The girls group tended to focus on pictures of faces (social) and the boys tended to focus on boxes with blinking lights (mechanical). Now go and look in your audio-visual room. What do you see? Anything different? I remember playing in the sand box with my Tonka toys and making a lot of "raspberry-like" noises to simulate engine noises- now all I need to do is turn the key and play in my big "sandbox". Like salmon swimming upstream (to spawn and die or Lemmings going to the sea and die) we are just following our genetic emperatives. Jay :rolleyes:

/ I can afford the 19k tractor....it's all the other stuff! #16  
Flatheadyoungin said:
hahaha

Man, bush hogs, flail mowers, parts to fix them, seeing what all of you own (rakes, PHD's, box blades, forks, yadda, yadda) expensive air filters, lot's of oil, lights, .......

hahaha Isn't that the way all hobbies, er, I mean work related things go?:D

I hear ya. Implements are pricy. Forces you to learn a new skill: how to locate and deal on good used equipment. I'm getting a good education in that area after I decided to go haying on my 10 acres. My collection of used haying equipment is growing pretty fast.

DSCF0291Small.jpg

Most expensive purchase was the $2K for the MF-124 two-twine square baler.

Right now I'm restoring an neat old Minneapolis Moline P3-6 grain drill (10 ft wide, 20 openers, grass box attachments) that I bought for $275 (including a second MM drill for spare parts). That's a lota fun.

DSCF0158Small.jpg

DSCF0157Small-1.jpg

Figure I have about $5K invested so far in haying stuff. Need a good 7 ft 3pt tandem disc, a 50 gal boom sprayer and a 3pt fertilizer spreader to complete the list of gotta have equipment.

/ I can afford the 19k tractor....it's all the other stuff! #17  
Timber said:
It is amaizing how fast $25 a week can turn into a Box Blade

That's how I bought my boxblade, landscape rake and single bottom plow.

Solo

/ I can afford the 19k tractor....it's all the other stuff! #18  
Flatheadyoungin said:
hahaha

Man, bush hogs, flail mowers, parts to fix them, seeing what all of you own (rakes, PHD's, box blades, forks, yadda, yadda) expensive air filters, lot's of oil, lights, .......

hahaha Isn't that the way all hobbies, er, I mean work related things go?:D

I heard that. back when i bought a bigger tractor to mow with.. I traded in my 33hp tractor to get something in the 70hp range ( wanted a ford 5000.. wife instead wanted me to get a NH7610s.. twice the $$).. when i finally got it.. i realized i had almost no budget for a mower since i went over budget on the tractor!!

soundguy

/ I can afford the 19k tractor....it's all the other stuff! #19  
Soundguy said:
( wanted a ford 5000.. wife instead wanted me to get a NH7610s.. twice the $$)
Hang on to her. You have a winner:D

/ I can afford the 19k tractor....it's all the other stuff! #20  
ChuckinNH said:
I sometimes tell folks to look at the attachments they want before they buy the tractor. At least that way, a thou, or two difference in tractor price doesn't seem so bad! :D :D

This is exactly why I bought the MX5000. Enough tractor to do the work sans the bells and whistles. I was able to go out a buy lots of attachments to go with it. The problem that I did not anticipate was the expense of a new barn where all this stuff can be stored. Maybe I should have got the green tractor with the cab and cup holder and only a couple attachments. ;)