I cant decide if I should keep fixing this thing...

/ I cant decide if I should keep fixing this thing... #1  

BMXER10

I bought the mower 2 years ago for $600 (kubota g5200). It has about 1300 hours on it, the last owner mowed 10 acres with it.

I cant mow more than 2 times without a new problem popping up. I only mow 1.5 acres with it so the mowers pretty heavy duty for my application, but I do like using it.

- It started frying drive belts, $200 later I fixed that, bad tension pulley.
- It overheated constantly, $150 later its staying fairly cool now.
- The steering gears are broken & worn, thats not fixed yet, but its about $200 because they changed it to sealed bearings.
- The gear box on the mower deck is leaking like a sieve, worst case scenario its going to be $294 for a new box. But I think its just going to be a seal. Plus it needs to be repowder coated.

So far the motor is strong and doesnt smoke. I really want something that I dont have to work on every month. Maintanence is easy, repairs I dont have time for.

Onto my question. If I sell this I think I could get $800 for it, then just buy a plain ol mower from lowes that will probably last 10 years. OR do I spend $400-$500 getting whats broken fixed and run the risk of more problems like I have had?

Picture001.jpg

/ I cant decide if I should keep fixing this thing... #2  
For what you got in the machine I would fix it because a big box lawn mower is gonna cost way more than the repairs and it will not last 10 yrs
Plus you wii have a classic Kub
DGS

/ I cant decide if I should keep fixing this thing... #3  
I'd fix it. I agree you aren't going to get 10 years out of a Lowes cheapo and you are probably only looking at $200-$250 to fix the Kubota ( I wouldn't worry about powder coating the gear box, get a can of Kubota orange). I am certain the Kubota is far better built than the new cheapos and if it has been maintained well (it looks like it has) it may last another 10 years.
If you have doubts about how much you are going to put in the Kubota, address the leaky gear box first...it is probably just a cheap gasket. If that's all it is, it is definitely worth spending the $$ on the steering.

/ I cant decide if I should keep fixing this thing...
I think you guys are right. Ill get completely greasy again and take that gear box apart. Hopefully it just needs a cheap seal. Ill post up some results tommorrow and see what happens.

/ I cant decide if I should keep fixing this thing... #5  
I would keep fixing that one since it is a very good unit.... you just happen to buy it when it was time for all the little repairs.

Alright, I took everyones advice and tore into this thing yesterday. Im going to fix the steering last.

I took the deck off and began disassembling the gear box. The whole thing leaked oil everywhere which mixed with the grass. Surprisingly it came apart easily. You can definitely tell it was built with quality as a priority. Two bolts on the deck were giving me trouble, I think the previous owner damaged the bolt heads. I might have to grind em off.

DSCN2516.JPG

The gear box bearings were in great shape. I cant really locate the leak, but Im going to replace all the seals.

DSCN2514.JPG

The gears were COMPLETELY shot. They had actually worn down side to side till only about a 1/32" of width left. I think it was only about 2 months away from shredding apart. I think the previous owner didnt keep up with the gear oil. You can see where pieces started chipping off.

DSCN2515.JPG

I got a fax into the local kubota dealer for a quote on all the parts. Hopefully it will be cheaper than a new box.

Any ideas on the best way to get all that grease off the deck?

/ I cant decide if I should keep fixing this thing... #7  
have u tried gasoline and a stiff paint brush to remove the grease?

I'm glad you decided to keep the bota. You have a tough little machine right there.

If nothing else, its a diesel, so you get better fuel efficiency for cutting 1.5 acres. I'll bet a similar powered gas machine will cost you X2 in fuel for the same effort.

Besides, you have a lovely project for this coming winter if you need one? A ground up refurb? It looks in great shape cosmetically judging from the photos... fix up the few minor problems you have right now & keep on top of the regular maintenance..... and you'll see another 10 years from that machine easy.

good luck

/ I cant decide if I should keep fixing this thing... #8  
OOOKAY, there goes the cheap leaky seal theory. Well, I have to admit, if it were mine I would be in re-evaluation mode. The good news is that the pics appear to show only two gears need to be replaced, hopefully they are available because I am sure they are considerably cheaper than buying the whole gear box.

As far as the grease is concerned, I'd be using some automotive degreaser and a power washer but I have plenty of room to drag it outside and blast it off without killing the lawn...don't know your situation. You could start with some degreaser or old diesel and a putty knife and finish up with your solvent of choice and scotchbright pads and rags.
I found a guy on ebay that is parting one out, his email addy is hhc1@juno.com ...problem with that is with used parts you could be getting good parts or junk, it's a dice roll most of the time.

I have seen a number of these mowers for sale on the net and the price they
sell for is all over the spectrum, selling from $700-$2000+ for seemingly similar machines. I would have to stick by my original advice at this point though....if the gears are available, I'd fix and keep the mower. Unfortunately, unless you want to part this one out, it is probably not worth much with the gearbox/steering issues. However it's a darn good machine with those items fixed.....at this point it appears like the best choice would be to fix it.

Well, it appears each bevel gear is $109... Thats $220 in gears only, not including all the seals etc. Im going to order the whole gear box because its $294. Plus I wont have to reassemble all those gears. The pulley is still in great shape.

That should get me part of the way there. Ill post some more updates tonight after I get it degreased and attempt to get the stuck bolts off.

/ I cant decide if I should keep fixing this thing... #10  
Not to play one up manship, but the center spindle on a toro groundsmaster cost $350 to be rebuilt...center shaft had stripped on pulley. Now have to install it on the mower!