I failed in my mission!

/ I failed in my mission! #11  
<font color=blue>would a veteran tractor owner just jump on his tractor and begin cutting the slope shown in Picture #3 without giving it a second thought?<font color=black>

YES! That slope (left side) in pic #3 is NOT too steep for a CUT to get on at a reasonable speed (slow and controlled), watching out for any potholes on the low side, or debris such as stumps or rocks on the high side.

Look where the center of gravity is and the bulk of the weight between the left and right wheels of your tractor(s). It would take a lot to tip your tractor over on the slopes (even the slope on the right in #3 would likely only present a sliding problem. Sliding is not good as it is out of the control of the operator. Same as sliding on ice. It is the sudden or abrupt stop that causes a tip. IMO.

/ I failed in my mission! #12  
Photo 3, left side is fine. I would not hesitate at all. Right side would require me to move the tires out to the farthest position. If I was on the highway tractors that are properly set up with a lot of weight down low I wouldn't hesitate at all. Just take me a few minutes to set my own tractor up first. With experience you learn that these tractors don't tip too easy unless you get careless or stupid. Accidents do happen but if you know what you are doing and practice safe techniques you will be fine on these slopes.

/ I failed in my mission!
Picture 3 seems to show the slopes the best...

What angle do you guys think they are?

Sure look steeper than the 15 to 20 degree angles that we talk about as being the safe maximum slope angles...at least for those who are conservative...

I don't think the right-hand slope was cut with a rotary mower...looks to me like it was done with one of those boom mowers. The reason I say that is because as I watched the roadside, I saw little posts at the shoulder's edge, and the cut seemed to go right past them...seemed like a state run tractor would not run with just a single rotary on the back...

Bill

/ I failed in my mission! #14  
regarding photo #1 i was caught up in the part of the pic that showed the truck on the highway. seemed to be a tanker but from the photo it could look like a boeing 737 being towed backward. does anybody else see that?/w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif

/ I failed in my mission!
Frank,

I'm sure it was a tanker...but I do see the 737 now!

Bill

/ I failed in my mission! #16  
Pic #3 It look like a 20 degree slope to me, But I have been wrong before, I guess thats why I use tilt meters.

/ I failed in my mission! #17  
<font color=red>be a tanker but from the photo it could look like a boeing 737 being towed backward. does anybody else see that? </font color=red>

Oh ya! You can make out the windshelds on the top. Cool!

/ I failed in my mission! #18  
Hi Bill,
Hey Guy, thanks for the pics. Sorry you had trouble on the
adventure. When I go to the National Farm Machinery show
in Feb. I will try to get some shots of a few hills they mow in
Ill. And Ky. Now that's some hills. Again, Thanks. Rick

/ I failed in my mission! #20  
Here are some pics of this guy drilling in seed on the road banks.
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/MachineryTalk/posts/20845.html>http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/MachineryTalk/posts/20845.html</A>

DCP_0552.JPG