I finally started my pond

/ I finally started my pond
I have been monitoring the pond leaking water past the overflow culvert. A week ago Friday, I noticed water bubbling in the middle of my driveway. I immediately drained the pond down and starting digging around the overflow culvert's end concrete. I put concrete around it when I realized the culvert was too low, and I didn't want to raise the culvert. I spliced in, an end plug on the culvert and cut out the top. I sealed all the splice seams with concrete. Then I built a form and poured concrete. This has worked for 8 years.

But while I am working enlarging the island pond, the ducks have made the small pond their nightly home. They have dabbled all around the dam and the concrete. 1-21-17 Suspected Leak Area Caused By Duck Dabbling.jpg

So, last Saturday, I dug the dam out around the culvert behind the existing concrete and install forms for concrete. Nothing is square as I was in a hurry to get the concrete poured before dark. Besides, it will all be covered with dirt. 1-21-17 Concrete Poured.jpg1-21-17 Overflow Pipe Concrete Form.jpg
hugs, Brandi

Last edited:
Last Sunday, I removed the forms and filled the pond just below the new work. I added white stones around the base of the existing concrete to prevent the ducks from dabbling. 1-22-17 Drain Culvert Concrete Detail.jpg1-22-17 Dabbling Prevention Stones In Place.jpg1-22-17 Small Pond Filling From Island Pond.jpg1-22-17 Concrete Around Drain Culvert.jpg
hugs, Brandi

I was able to fill and pack in around the new and old concrete yesterday. 1-28-17 Small Pond Overllow Concrete Holding.jpg1-28-17 Small Pond Overflow Concrete From Pier.jpg

Then I filled the pond to leak check the overflow culvert. So far, this morning, no leaks noted. You can see the one corner that is not level with the water. This was level when first installed, 8 years ago.1-28-17 Small Pond Overflow Concrete Corner Low.jpg
hugs, Brandi

Been awhile since I posted. Here are the ponds a couple of weeks ago when we had record temps., ice, and snow. This was Monday, the 15th of Feb.
Snow Feb 2021 Ponds Ducks.jpg

The last day of the freeze, the small pond froze over. Here are the ducks getting used to the ice. It was Friday, the 19th.
Ducks On Frozen Pond Feb 19, 2021.jpg

They are so funny getting their ice legs. I have a video on my phone where they are flying from the uniced large pond to the small pond. They landed and skied. One drake lost his balance and went down on one leg slidding on his belly.
hugs, Brandi

Last edited:
   / I finally started my pond #495  
I can only imagine how they feel when they expect a nice smooth landing and the touch down is hard and slick!

The second time I got them to fly from the large pond to the small pond, they flew over it and landed at my feet.
hugs, Brandi