I give up, what is this chain notch for?

/ I give up, what is this chain notch for? #1  

CalG

Tractor
Hurlimann 435, Fordson E27n, Bolens HT-23, Kubota B7200

Attachments

• Kubota Three.JPG
    Kubota Three.JPG
    194.4 KB · Views: 636
Last edited:
   / I give up, what is this chain notch for? #2  
You hook the anti-rotation chain from a PTO pump there.

/ I give up, what is this chain notch for? #3  
I'm guessing here... but PTO hydraulic pumps need to be locked down from spinning around. :2cents:

/ I give up, what is this chain notch for? #4  
Older tractors have that notch for the old style PTO shaft guards to latch into.

/ I give up, what is this chain notch for?
You hook the anti-rotation chain from a PTO pump there.

Maybe I'm too cautious, but I would NEVER check a pto pump off that slot. Too close to the drive, and not nearly secure enough "lip" to hold a chain. Maybe if a safety wire were added, but there are no holes drilled.

Perhaps if a "strong arm" reaction bar were bolted to the pump and slotted into that notch,... there are possibilities. ;-)

I would like to see those "old style" pto covers ;-)

/ I give up, what is this chain notch for?
Here's a link link to one on eBay:
Farmall IH Tractor implement extendable Power Take Off PTO shield cover 15 or 23 | eBay

Take a look at it and notice the spring latches and how the sheild slides on itself

The slot in the pto shield is to accept the extended shield fixing bolt. That makes sense. And the "lip" is more than enough to secure a nut and bolt connection.

Thanks

I don't believe I will ever need that feature, but at least I can scratch that one off the puzzle list.

/ I give up, what is this chain notch for? #8  
The bolt was t really a simple bolt. It was spring loaded with a flat tab on top. You forced the spring down, slipped the tab lengthwise into that notch and rotate the tab perpendicular to the notch and over that lip. That locks it onto the shield, more or less. There was a matching one on the implement, and the shield was only a 3/4 coverage. Open on bottom and both ends slid sort of in a groove in each other. They could be pigs to use. Which is why so many people just didn't. The tubes are better, but I never chain mine down. I let them rotate and keep my self out of them.