I hang my head in shame !!

/ I hang my head in shame !! #21  
Yeah, you were thinking of Cowboydoc's real tractors and our L was a little tractor/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif. Sure was better than those mules, though.

/ I hang my head in shame !! #22  
The technical term for adjustments made by any type of whacking is "percussive maintenance" /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ I hang my head in shame !! #23  
I had a '77 Buick Somerset with V6 and 4-speed that did same thing. Especially after I put a new pressure plate and high-metalic disc in it. Every rain caused it to lock. Flooring and letting off abruptly while holding down clutch freed it (on pavement). Fun car, wish it hadnt rusted.

/ I hang my head in shame !! #24  
Hi Mark,

I've went through this with my JD950. Simple solution on the 950 is a small c clamp. You will find that it will slip over the clutch pedal and the stop bar. Only takes a second to put on or off, once set no adjusting of c clamp needed. My clamp is only about a 3" clamp if that.

/ I hang my head in shame !! #25  
Interesting, I've Never had this problem on the 1050 that I can remember and it sets quite a bit during the winter. If I remember the only difference in a 950/1050 is the turbo. Brakes on the other hand, are a somewhat of a nuisance.

/ I hang my head in shame !! #26  
<font color=blue>Interesting, I've Never had this problem on the 1050 that I can remember and it sets quite a bit during the winter. If I remember the only difference in a 950/1050 is the turbo. Brakes on the other hand, are a somewhat of a nuisance. <font color=black>

I had the tractor ten years before this happened. You have to watch those brakes. I just replaced the shoes at a cost of $73.00 per shoe, yes that's right 4 x 73.00 for the shoes. /w3tcompact/icons/sad.gif

/ I hang my head in shame !! #27  
I need brakes on my John Deere 850.
But $73 per shoe is ridiculous!
I wonder if the old shoes can be relinded.
Ran into the same problem when my starter went bad.
John Deere wanted $380 for new starter,so I had the old one rebuilt for $100.

/ I hang my head in shame !! #28  
<font color=blue>I need brakes on my John Deere 850.

<font color=black> You may have already done this but if not there is an adjustment you can make on the shoes. The pin that the shoes mount on can be turned which will expand the shoes out for additional usage. Sometimes it is helpful to flip the shoes around at the same time.

/ I hang my head in shame !! #29  
I do the cam flip thing. I also flip the shoes like you say.
It's in the operating manual somewhere. Interesting, I replaced the shoes this spring at $45 dollars per shoe. I still found this a bit hard to swallow but $73 is robbery.
I dunno if dealers vary the parts prices or not but I'd look into it. Counting the set that was on the machine when I bought it, this the third set of brakes in 1000hrs of operation. Really my only complaint with the tractor.

/ I hang my head in shame !! #30  
Thanks Larry,
I haven't pulled the brakes apart yet to see what the problem is.
The peddle ajustment is good as far as free play.
But the brakes are just getting poor.I need to really stand on the brake peddle to stop lately.