I hate Yellow Jackets!

/ I hate Yellow Jackets! #11  
How would you like to discover this nest in your car? :)
yellowjacketslarge.jpg

Okay. That for real?

/ I hate Yellow Jackets! #12  
You'll get a lot more bees per gallon if you wait as late as you can and pour a gallon down the hole and don't light it. Just go to bed. I have a 2 inch piece of pvc about three feet long with some screen taped over one end. I quickly jab the other end in the ground at the hole and then I have time to pour the gas in without too much worry about getting stung.

/ I hate Yellow Jackets! #13  
I quickly jab the other end in the ground at the hole and then I have time to pour the gas in without too much worry about getting stung.
I can 'almost' picture that, but were going to need video to confirm.

/ I hate Yellow Jackets! #14  
To eradicate a YJ nest; after the sun goes down, place some liver right near the hive entrance. If you have a skunk nearby, it will smell the liver, and discover the nest at the same time. If you don't have a skunk nearby, the aroma of the liver will soon bring one.

Once the skunk discovers the nest, he will gladly tear it apart to eat the contents. This always works for me.

/ I hate Yellow Jackets! #15  
My brother was using my tractor at my Mom's tearing out blackberries with the boxblade. He got stung above the eye. So he figured he had hit and underground nest. My Step Dad was watching him work from a short distance away and got stung on top of his bald head :eek: My brother takes off out of the blackberries with the tractor and gets stung again. So he bailed off the tractor when he had moved it out a distance. As he got off the tractor he got stung again. It was then that he noticed the YJ's had built a nest in the loader arm in a drain hole... He shot that hole full of carb cleaner. That fixed them little bloaks. :)

/ I hate Yellow Jackets! #16  
I pulled a log from the fence line before brush hogging last weekend and set off a nest of them too. Fortunatley I was using the forks and had a cab on the tractor:eek:

There was a bunch of them on the glass in short order.

/ I hate Yellow Jackets! #17  
I like the "natural" method proposed by AchingBack, but for expediencie's sake (and not wanting skunks around the house), I use a reasonable amount of gasoline. After dark (when everybody's "home") & don't light it. Stuff a rock in the hole when you're done. I've never had a nest come back after that.

Best,

Tom

Gee, I don't even know if we have any skunks in the neighborhood...

/ I hate Yellow Jackets! #18  
One of the best tricks I ever did was to use a electronic bug killer, a rather large one. I plugged it in and put it on the end of a 20 ft PVC pipe, and put it close to the pampas grass where they were nesting, and wiggled the bug killer. They came out of there like they were on a mission, and attacked the bug killer. Bad mistake. All you could hear was snap, crackle and sizzle. Killed every one of them.

They don't like petroleum products either.

Another trick. Sneak up on them with one of those propane weed burners. Wear long sleeves and a hat.

/ I hate Yellow Jackets! #19  
I don't mess with them until early light after a very cool night when they're sluggish.. Luckily I'm not allergic, but they've gotten me more often than I would have liked..
They're one of the more aggressive hornets.

/ I hate Yellow Jackets! #20  
One of the best tricks I ever did was to use a electronic bug killer, a rather large one. I plugged it in and put it on the end of a 20 ft PVC pipe, and put it close to the pampas grass where they were nesting, and wiggled the bug killer. They came out of there like they were on a mission, and attacked the bug killer. Bad mistake. All you could hear was snap, crackle and sizzle. Killed every one of them. /QUOTE]

We had some get in above the suspended ceiling in a finished walkout basement just before a 2 week vacation. I did what you did, got the biggest zapper I could find, hung it from a tall stepladder, placed a tub half full of water with a skin of oil on it underneath. Plugged in the zapper and left for the holiday. On return we found lots of bodies in the tub and no live yellow jackets in the house anymore after that. We came out on top that time.