I have a confession to make...

/ I have a confession to make... #21  
... Likelihood of injury probably 1 in a billion....
Actually, the injury rate is a lot more frequent than that. Somewhat more frequent than 1 in 100,000.

From National Ag Safety Database - A Review of Farm Accident Data Sources and Research: Review of Recently Published and Current Research, 4 Oct 2013.

HEALTH AND SAFETY OF YOUTH

Youth present a special problem in the area of farm safety. The Fair Labor Standards Act limits the employment of minors according to age and occupational activity (Runyan, 1992).[1] Some children as young as 10 years old may work on farms with parental consent. Children of farm operators may work for their parents on their own farms at any age. In addition, many children are at risk by living on farms. A study of 169 Iowa farm families highlights some of the safety issues related to youth:

more than 40 percent of the children who operated equipment were not supervised;
about 30 percent of children more than 3 years old played alone in work areas and 80 percent of them played near machinery in operation; and
children began operating equipment at an average age of 12, even though parents believed their children were not capable of operating equipment until age 15 (Hawk and others, 1991).

An earlier study of injuries to farm youth (less than 20 years of age) in 1979, 1980, and 1981 used national statistics (Reesal and others, 1992). According to this study,

about 300 youth die each year from farm injuries and 23,500 suffer nonfatal injuries;
rates of fatal and nonfatal injuries increase with the age of the victim;
fatal and nonfatal injury rates are much higher for males than for females;
more than one-half of the victims of fatal farm injuries die before reaching a physician, nearly one-fifth die in transit to a hospital, and about one-tenth live long enough to receive in-patient care;
nearly 90 percent of the nonfatal injuries were treated in an emergency room and released; and
accidents involving farm machinery accounted for most of the fatal and nonfatal injuries, with tractors being involved in more accidents than other machinery. Other farm machinery involved in such accidents were wagons and combines. However, these findings may be somewhat misleading because the data include deaths due to drowning and firearms and do not distinguish between recreation and farm-related activities as agents of death (Rivara, 1985).

A study of fatal farm-related injuries to children 9 years of age and under in Wisconsin and Illinois from 1979 to 1985 that used death certificate data showed the average annual death rates in the study population were 3.2 per 100,000 in Wisconsin and 1.5 per 100,000 in Illinois (Saimi and others, 1989). The study found that the death rate was substantially higher for boys than for girls, that most fatalities occurred in July, and that machinery was the source of more than one-half of the injuries in Wisconsin and Illinois during the period of the study (Salmi and others, 1989).

If it's any consolation, your kids are more likely to die from the following

Cause Rate per 100,000
Perinatal Conditions 17.7
Congenital Anomalies 8.4
Motor Vehicle Accident 8.1
All other natural 6.4
SIDS 3
Neoplasms 2.8
Homicide (Firearm) 2.7
Circulatory Disease 2
Nervous System Disease 2
Suicide 2
Respiratory Disease 1.8
Suffocation/Strangulation Accident 1.5
Homicide (All other) 1.4
Drowning Accident 1.3
Poisoning Accident 1.2
All other Accident 1

/ I have a confession to make... #22  
Actually, the injury rate is a lot more frequent than that. Somewhat more frequent than 1 in 100,000.

I was referring to the probability of my grandson being injured during a 10 minute, low speed, joy ride while sitting in my lap. Granted the general injury rate under all conditions would be more frequent.

/ I have a confession to make... #23  
OP, confess away with a clear conscience...

Way I see it, as long as you know the land, know the machine, know the kid, know the situation, prepare for and avoid all foreseeable dangers, and are willing to suffer any consequences that come from something gone wrong, there is nothing at all wrong with it...

To teach someone the operation of my tractor, I like the fact I can flip up the armrests on my seat and two normal sized butts can share the seat, only controls blocked don't matter for a small ride around a flat area at a slow pace to teach basic operation moving the tractor around or doing some minor instructional FEL stuff... It allows them to steer while I control the throttle, HST pedals, and FEL, or vice versa; either way I'm right there to assist and instruct in any way needed. Once they have the throttle control, steering, HST, and FEL controls understood, then it's time to explain the position and draft controls and step down to let them try their hand at plowing and such. NO PTO Powered Implements... They'll be old enough for that set of dangers once I am too old to deal with them anymore...

When dealing with just giving a joy-ride to a smaller child, I've been known to let them stand between my legs. But when doing this I've always made them wear a good belt and I've looped the seatbelt through the back of their belt. I don't think the belt adds any additional safety for the types of operations we do (just a slow roll around flat ground with nothing to hit, never any REAL work, just wasting fuel for joy :)), but doing it is more to teach them there is never too much "being safe about things where heavy machines are involved"... They get to learn in this process too; get on the tractor, check all the controls, tilt the wheel down, turn the key on for the glow plug/intake heater, get the seatbelt on, inspect the instrument panel to be sure there is fuel, start the engine, ensure there is oil pressure and such once it start, lift the FEL, choose a gear range (always low in these situations), release the parking brake, adjust the throttle, and off we go. Just standing there watching the whole process is a learning experience they'll love.

Sometimes my dog likes to go on rides too, I keep a collar with a short leash on the tractor that I put on him and loop on the seatbelt as I put the seatbelt on. Keeps him tied in the center so he can't make an exit off either side of the tractor while I'm working, but he can stand on the platform and watch off either side.

In the end, understand you can die anytime you approach a piece of machinery and you need to be cautious (even the most cautious of people with a lifetime of experience can (and do) end up dead quick). Adding the life of another person to that situation is a huge responsibility to take on, you need to understand that even if the Earth opens up and swallows the machine and your rider whole while spitting you back out healthy and unharmed, it is YOUR FAULT for allowing it in the first place. The second you allow such a thing, there are are no set of circumstances that can occur that are not your fault. Be willing to accept the consequences and accept full responsibility from the start. I think as long as you understand and accept things in this manner, your safety practices will most likely be as such that nobody gets injured, everyone learns proper safety, and your family will remember those times fondly.

My :2cents:...

/ I have a confession to make... #24  
Hi Bill, good to see your post and hear you are doing well. Congratulations on your retirement. You'll soon discover that retirement is not the "dark side.":)

As far as taking young kids on a tractor, I say that you need to be careful and cautious, but not to a fault. When and how do you teach a kid to ride a horse? Isn't the horse much more unpredictable than your tractor? If a child approaches a horse from behind and gets kicked, is that because the child was given a ride in the saddle with their grandpa? I don't think so. You and I are in complete agreement on the process for approaching when I'm on the tractor. I over-stress to anyone that the process is to stand clear until you get my attention. In the same vein, I also demand that some activities like using the rotary cutter are NOT spectator sports. The safe distance for loader work is not the same as it is with the cutter. Small children have to be watched by another adult. If they cannot be watched, then it's your responsibility to stop what you are doing for the child's sake. Once a child is 6-8 years old, they should understand what you mean by staying away and be punished if they don't follow your instructions.

I let my 13 year-old grandson operate my tractor and full-size TLB, but only if I am there with him. I have never let him around while I'm operating the rotary cutter. Like TxDon said, some kids take longer to mature than others. I still have to closely supervise him because he wants to get too fast and reckless. One thing for sure, kids won't learn by just watching. They have to experience some demonstration and practice seat time to become operators. Then, they want to learn to drive the car. . . :eek:

Thank you! Excellent points. Every kid is different. If you are comfortable with the kid being around a horse, you certainly should be comfortable with them around a tractor under controlled situations.

/ I have a confession to make...
Hi again!

Well, I have decided to give the little guy a try at working the loader and backhoe. That means I will have to leave the backhoe on until next Monday probably, as things have reversed and he has less time now, being in first grade, and I have the time available that he used to have, being retired again!

We will have a "pre experience" safety talk, about how letting him run the loader and backhoe should help him understand how dangerous these tools can be, and how important it is to stay well clear of equipment when someone else is operating it. I will set the tractor on a level spot, keep it at idle, and see how he does. I will report back afterwards...

Timswi...I live in Allegheny county, near where I79 crosses the Ohio River. My younger daughter is an elementary school teacher in Beaver county...so we are neighbors, kind of...(for those not from around here, our two counties border each other).

/ I have a confession to make... #26  
Timswi...I live in Allegheny county, near where I79 crosses the Ohio River. My younger daughter is an elementary school teacher in Beaver county...so we are neighbors, kind of...(for those not from around here, our two counties border each other).

Cool...Nice to meet you neighbor:drink:

/ I have a confession to make... #27  
Henro, when I was training the 11yo I told him if he got confused with which handle sent the bucket in which direction just release the handles. We practiced this about 10 times. I was surprised how fast he learned the correct positions - the BH controls must be something like a video game control.

/ I have a confession to make...
Well, a couple weeks ago I got a chance to let the little guy operate the loader and backhoe functions.

At age six, it was a little hard for him to control the levers. No problem with moving totally on, but difficult feathering the controls.

After trying the loader he was eager to try the backhoe. The tractor was sitting on a VERY slight slope, but I figured it was better to turn it around and make the backhoe seat slope backwards, rather than slightly forward. I instructed him to run a distance and observe, while I turned the tractor around. He immediately ran about 50 feet and stopped and stood there while I moved the tractor. And he waited until I signaled him that it was OK to approach before moving back to the tractor. I was very pleased that he respected the safe distance teachings that I always try to impress the kids with.

The backhoe was the same deal. He could make things move, but it was difficult for him to feather movements and movements were jerky. But he had the experience. I also belted him into the backhoe seat, even though I was standing right next to him.

The thing that impressed me the most was that although operating the tractor was a good experience for him, he seemed more interested in running down to the pond to catch frogs and fish with his net. He has not asked to operate the tractor again, but does always want to immediately run down to his "habitat" in and around the pond.

I am actually pretty proud of the little guy. I have small Kershaw knife that I showed him and told him it would be his when he was able to use it safely. He was not able to open it...without difficulty. He said "maybe next year when I am seven..." I think on the same note he realizes he needs a little more strength to work the tractor controls smoothly.

I feel very positive about taking the time to give him the chance to experience something that other kids his age (around here, we live close to the city) do not have the opportunity to experience for the most part. May do it again in a year, maybe two...