I have a Massey Ferguson 1533 year 2006 It's is overheating to a the max and past I replaced the Thermostat flush the sytem with water What else

/ I have a Massey Ferguson 1533 year 2006 It's is overheating to a the max and past I replaced the Thermostat flush the sytem with water What else #21  
blow the radiator out to clear the chaff and debris?

That was not in your list of things you have done..

Is the fan operating properly?

We have a 2005 1533... She runs like a top - 450+ hours..

Only overheating has been when the screen was packed with garbage or the fins in the radiator were.. we are constantly cleaning both during mowing season.

This is exactly what I have to do with my 2007 1540......when the radiator is cool, I run the garden hose through the fins both sides. It's amazing the amount of gunk that comes out of what looks to be a clean radiator.

/ I have a Massey Ferguson 1533 year 2006 It's is overheating to a the max and past I replaced the Thermostat flush the sytem with water What else #22  
First of all, start with the basics. How do you know it is overheating? Are you getting steam and a jet of boiling water when the radiator cap energency overpressure vent opens? You won't miss that happening! It makes a lot of noise and steam!
Or is it just reading too hot on a gauge or indicator light?
Have you measured the temperature?

When cleaning a radiator fins I never use a pressure washer. Fins are too fragile. Use a paint brush, dish soap and and garden hose with a mild spray. Clean from the fan side forward.

It's probably the thermostat. I've seen lots of bad thermostats, but can't recall ever seeing a water pump where the fan turned but it didn't pump.

You might want to check the antifreeze. Most older tractors use a glycol based antifreeze, and using 100% glycol in any system will give problems if the system isn't working well. Pure glycol doesn't transfer heat all that well. You want a 50/50 mix of glycol and water.

Auto parts stores sell jusgs of either pure 100% ethylene glycol or a 50/50 mix of glycol antifreeze and water. I've seen them mixed on the same shelf. So check the label; they expect the buyer to know the difference. The best solution for heat transfer is 50/50 antifreeze and water.

If none of this works - and then chances are you have an old hose that has collapsed or a radiator with plugged tubes.
rScotty
+1
Most gauges will show max temperature if the sensor lead is grounded.

How do you know it's overheating? Is it by the gauge? Gauges can be wrong but you have to trust them until you can verify if they are correct or not. Use an infra red thermometer (~$20) and measure the temperature at the top of the coolant tank and the thermostat housing. They should be close to the same temperature IF the thermostat is working. Compare those temperatures to the gauge temperature if it's so marked. Then measure the temperature of the lower radiator tank, it should be around 40°F cooler than the top of the tank. There are a host of reasons for an overheat but make sure that's what you have before you start the process of finding the cause.

Last edited:
   / I have a Massey Ferguson 1533 year 2006 It's is overheating to a the max and past I replaced the Thermostat flush the sytem with water What else #23  
In the beginning the OP stated it gets hot within 15 minutes. Once the problem was found that made more sense. The system was low on coolant because of losing it out the puke tube. If the heat sensor is at the thermostat housing, which most are, that's also a high spot. Once the system got low on coolant there would be an air pocket at the sensor. The sensor readings are then flawed.

The OP can continue to use the tractor in this condition. Just needs to check the radiator content before he cranks it cold each time.

/ I have a Massey Ferguson 1533 year 2006 It's is overheating to a the max and past I replaced the Thermostat flush the sytem with water What else #24  
I would pull out the thermostat and try running it without one. If it runs ok and does not overheat then the thermostat is not opening.
Sometimes when you totally remove the thermostat the coolant can circulate too fast and result in overheating. The coolant circulates so fast the it does not cool as it passes thru the radiator.

/ I have a Massey Ferguson 1533 year 2006 It's is overheating to a the max and past I replaced the Thermostat flush the sytem with water What else #25  
First of all, start with the basics. How do you know it is overheating? Are you getting steam and a jet of boiling water when the radiator cap energency overpressure vent opens? You won't miss that happening! It makes a lot of noise and steam!
Or is it just reading too hot on a gauge or indicator light?
Have you measured the temperature?

When cleaning a radiator fins I never use a pressure washer. Fins are too fragile. Use a paint brush, dish soap and and garden hose with a mild spray. Clean from the fan side forward.

It's probably the thermostat. I've seen lots of bad thermostats, but can't recall ever seeing a water pump where the fan turned but it didn't pump.

You might want to check the antifreeze. Most older tractors use a glycol based antifreeze, and using 100% glycol in any system will give problems if the system isn't working well. Pure glycol doesn't transfer heat all that well. You want a 50/50 mix of glycol and water.

Auto parts stores sell jusgs of either pure 100% ethylene glycol or a 50/50 mix of glycol antifreeze and water. I've seen them mixed on the same shelf. So check the label; they expect the buyer to know the difference. The best solution for heat transfer is 50/50 antifreeze and water.

If none of this works - and then chances are you have an old hose that has collapsed or a radiator with plugged tubes.
rScotty
Yes the water pump shaft can break and stop turning the impeller, have found a few of these over the years.

/ I have a Massey Ferguson 1533 year 2006 It's is overheating to a the max and past I replaced the Thermostat flush the sytem with water What else #26  
I'm riding a 2005 GC2300 that does the same thing. On my tractor the air is pulled in from the rear of the motor housing. My solution is to keep an old paint brush on the tractor and when the screens on the housing(right in front of you and on the sides) gets about 30% clogged brush them clean, I do this whole I'm moving. Also when you're done for the day don't forget to open the hood and remove the screen in front (air flow wise) of the radiator and clean that too. Before I put the screen back in I often attach a vacuum cleaner hose to my shop vac that I took from an old vacuum from the house that is thinner and can put the wand all the way down on both sides of the radiator and suck up the crap left behind. It works for me and hope this helps someone else.
S

/ I have a Massey Ferguson 1533 year 2006 It's is overheating to a the max and past I replaced the Thermostat flush the sytem with water What else #27  
I know it's been a while since you posted and I hope you've got it straightened out.
If not continue.
From my experience your radiator is still dirty. You can do all the remedies and it will look clean in the outside and it still won't be. In the center of the fins that's very had to see there will still be dirt.
Wet the fins down with your water hose on both sides. Take a can of cheap oven cleaner and spray in and on the fins as best as you can. Wait 3-5 minutes but no more. Spray both sides of the fins with water to get all the cleaner off. You should be amazed at the amount of dirt that comes out. Good luck.

/ I have a Massey Ferguson 1533 year 2006 It's is overheating to a the max and past I replaced the Thermostat flush the sytem with water What else #28  
Put a trouble light in behind the radiator, by the fan blades.
Go around front and look in thru the fins from the front. Works best inside or on an overcast day.
If you cant see light, more cleaning is needed....