I have horses in Northern California and want a power post driver

/ I have horses in Northern California and want a power post driver #21  
if you like i can take pic's of mine of any section that will help you.
I for one would really like to see pictures! Never know, I might be talked into building one at some point. I just can't get my head around building one with a hydraulic ram, just can't figure out how they free fall:confused:. I have used hydraulic impact hammers in the past. But they are a different animal all together!
Hammer & Steel | American Dealer for Junttan Hydraulic Impact Hammers

Attachments

• Pier-91.jpg
    Pier-91.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 141
   / I have horses in Northern California and want a power post driver #23  
I for one would really like to see pictures! Never know, I might be talked into building one at some point. I just can't get my head around building one with a hydraulic ram, just can't figure out how they free fall:confused:. I have used hydraulic impact hammers in the past. But they are a different animal all together!
Hammer & Steel | American Dealer for Junttan Hydraulic Impact Hammers

some only put the hydraulic to 1 side of the ram and put a small air charge int to the other side to help push the ram back, the hydraulic 1 i used had a large return pipe, will put some pics up soon, if i can work it out
cheers stuart

/ I have horses in Northern California and want a power post driver #24  
SA my friend copied another friends farm driver. Its just a beam with a slot in the web of it and a cylinder on the back. The rod end has a bushing welded to it with a square rod running through it and a collar on each end with a spring between the collar and bush. Past the collar is a one sided taper. On the down stroke the pin will work like a door latch and engage a square hole in the drop hammer. on the slide pin theres a lug welded to the top that hits a wedge welded to the main beam of the hammer. When it raises up and hits this it pushes the pin out of the square hole in the hammer letting it drop. You can also use the valve and tap one in or even drive it without triping it. The smaller the cylinder the faster it will cycle.

The cable drop hammer like posted would work slick with the winch type I posted.

/ I have horses in Northern California and want a power post driver #25  
sorry it was dark by the time i remembered to get the pictures, basically the main frame is a heavy section c channel about 8"x2", with 2- 1"x1" solid bars for the hammer to slide on
cheers stuart
the cap on the top of the weight i put there to add lead weight extra 30lbs.JPGside angle adjustment back and forward is done of the top link for 3pl.JPGpost driver handle.JPGoverall picture.JPGcatch for hammer.JPGcable comes out of the wich drum around a bolt and clamped.JPG

/ I have horses in Northern California and want a power post driver #26  
So I take it as, you engage the PTO to raise the lump / weight, and then kick the PTO out of gear to drop the lump / weight?

I really like the idea of C-Channel and square stock welded to it for rails! Have to remember that trick! :thumbsup:

/ I have horses in Northern California and want a power post driver #27  
So I take it as, you engage the PTO to raise the lump / weight, and then kick the PTO out of gear to drop the lump / weight?

I really like the idea of C-Channel and square stock welded to it for rails! Have to remember that trick! :thumbsup:
you engage the pto and leave it running, adjust the driver to vertical, to raise the hammer you lift the lever thats connected to the bottom pulley's, that takes up the tension on the belts, and raises the hammer to drop it relax the handle but just lift it as the hammer hits the post to stop an overrun on the winch, took me around 6 posts to get the timing, i was told the cable lasts about 1000 posts, mine is a bit ruff, i found it in a paddock were it sat for 10 years, it didnt take much to get it going, the winch drum collapsed, rust on the inside, it could do with some new bearings, very slight rumble, that can wait till the final paint goes on and back together, this is as basic as they get but easy to get parts or remake as needed, i did start out to build a hydraulic, but since i have got this one have been happy and will probabley set the smaller one up similar
cheers stuart

/ I have horses in Northern California and want a power post driver #28  
OK! I think I get it now, the V-belts slip on the pulleys until you want to lift the lump / weight? When you want to lift the lump you engage that idler wheel / pulley to put tension on the V-belts?

/ I have horses in Northern California and want a power post driver #29  
OK! I think I get it now, the V-belts slip on the pulleys until you want to lift the lump / weight? When you want to lift the lump you engage that idler wheel / pulley to put tension on the V-belts?
yes thats it, if you have a look up the channel there is a hook type keeper to hold the hammer up, while you back up on a post or to put a post in, the channel is around 15 to 16 ft tall, and has 2 of those hook positions, it can fit a 10ft post into it, without raising the 3 point linkage and still have room for the hammer, the hammer is around 300 to 400lbs
cheers stuart

/ I have horses in Northern California and want a power post driver #30  
Yeah, pretty slick setup!:thumbsup: Nice and simple. In a way some what on the lines of my idea of using a capstan. I'll save your pictures!;)