I jumped the gun... now what?

/ I jumped the gun... now what? #12  
You have 15 acres of land. Get a building or a container on the property to store the tractor and start working on the land. Figure where you want a drive and the house pad, other buildings, trails etc and get after it. No reason why can’t start doing that now until it’s time to build.

/ I jumped the gun... now what? #13  
With inflation going the way it is it’ll probably cost more in 2 years. Without considering other factors like storage or freeing up $ I’d just keep it.

/ I jumped the gun... now what? #14  
So we were moving back to my wife's home province. We bought land (15 acres) and were going to build. I got a good deal on a new Bobcat CT2035HST with loader. I bought it and hauled it across the country, as it will be perfect for when we build our house. that was 18 months ago, and we are at least another year away from building... between the cost of materials still being really high, to the long wait-list for contractors, etc.

In the mean time we are living in town, in a house we were renting while we were away. So we don't have to rush into building or buying something out of town (though we are both dying to get out of town). But my little tractor is sitting in a friends shed, and I have accumulated at total of 8 hours on it! I did add a diverter and grapple on it. Pushed some snow around this winter, but that is it. It could be 2 years before I actually need the tractor the way things are going.

With market the way it is, I could likely get what I paid for it... and then in a year or two re-buy.... thought with inflation, that could be costly too. But in a 2 year window I may be abled to root out a good used deal too.

I'm a little confused Sheamus...

you bought 15 acres out of town, planning to build - some delays, bought the Bobcat (nice machine)

currently living in town, renting, Bobcat is in a friend's shed, things in a holding pattern until able to build

So we don't have to rush into building or buying something out of town - that's good, no rush. You are waiting to build, so what confused me is the or buying something out of town part. You already have property and a build site out of town, is that right ? Happy planning.

since you got a Good Deal on the Bobcat, would you be confident in getting a similar good deal in the future ? should you decide to sell this one ? unless, over the (waiting) time, a different machine / features would be more practical for you.

tough call

I agree with ddgood, LS, 4570Man, M59, etc ... :)

/ I jumped the gun... now what? #15  
You have 15 acres of land. Get a building or a container on the property to store the tractor and start working on the land. Figure where you want a drive and the house pad, other buildings, trails etc and get after it. No reason why can’t start doing that now until it’s time to build.
A shipping container makes a secure and protective option when you’re not living with on site.

/ I jumped the gun... now what? #16  
A shipping container makes a secure and protective option when you’re not living with on site.

get a 40 ft shipping container for the extra security, as it requires a specific towing vehicle and trailer - less of a target / opportunity when it is sitting on vacant property. whereas a 20 ft shipping container can be picked up and moved (stolen) by almost any suitable truck with a tilt deck and winch.

/ I jumped the gun... now what? #17  
I doubt very much we shall see tractor prices lower,run it couple times of the month and try to keep rodents from the tractor.

/ I jumped the gun... now what? #18  
OP, I wish I had a friend with a shed and bought my tractor last year. Prices are unlikely to fall below what you paid though they may stabilize. Good advice here to get it some regular exercise. Maybe do some tasks for your friend in thanks for the parking space?

2 years from now bobcat could stop selling tractors AGAIN sell it now
And the Bears could win another Superbowl in our lifetime; but since both of those things are unlikely, give it a rest. Even in the unlikely event Bobcat gets out of tractors... a) they have a solid business in similar tools with good mechanics and support. b) Kioti makes most of the tractor, so parts will not be a problem....unless you want him to sell you his tractor, I don't understand the unnecessary alarmist approach.

/ I jumped the gun... now what? #19  
I think M59 hit the nail on the head. If you paid cash and don’t need the money, if you are making payments, it might be time to get rid of it.

/ I jumped the gun... now what? #20  
With rising costs, when you do start to build in 2 years, you may not have the money to buy another tractor. If it were me, I'd keep it, store it properly and, if it's financed, use the time to pay it off.