I keep bending my tie rod on L2800 Kubota

/ I keep bending my tie rod on L2800 Kubota #1  

woodchuckie

Platinum Member
Tractor
KUBOTA L 2800
I bent the right tie rod (the one with the adjustment) on my Kubota L2800 for the third time over a 2 or 3 year period. So I am having it straightened for the third time. They heat it and straighten it for 5 dollars. I wondered if it gets weaker each time and if I reinforced it by sliding some kind of tube over it, what would the next part be to give if that part didn't. I haven't priced a new one but an considering it based on the results of this question.
I make trails with the tractor and push and ride over stumps and logs putting the front wheels in bad positions. With the power steering I don't realize when it's in a bind.
Thanks for your response.

/ I keep bending my tie rod on L2800 Kubota #2  
I did that once. Had mine straightened on an arbor/shop press. I would think heating it would soften the metal. Just back over the stump that bent it to straighten it out :laughing: I think the tie rod is by far the weakest link in the steering. Don't know what would break/bend next.
Dave.

/ I keep bending my tie rod on L2800 Kubota #3  
I have an L4310, i think the front ends are comparable, if not identical. last year I broke mine on the right. I think these things happen at low or no speed when cranking on the steering. Mine broke right at the threads of the adjustment section. Lesson learned, watch out when the ground is really uneven and you are putting Lot of stress on the steering. I wAs manuevering to pick up a three point implement perpendicular to some deep ruts. Not recommended.

/ I keep bending my tie rod on L2800 Kubota #4  
i'd wager a repaired part is a lil weaker than the original, unless it is beefe'd up.. so it's not surprising it keeps bending. perhaps add a lil angle or something to it..

soundguy

/ I keep bending my tie rod on L2800 Kubota #5  
If it's tempered on heat treated in any way, the heating will probably anneal it (which ruins the temper/heat treat).

Last edited:
   / I keep bending my tie rod on L2800 Kubota #6  
Why cant a tractor manufacturer put the tie rods behind the axle rather than in front. That would eliminate most of the problem unless you back into a tree or something..

/ I keep bending my tie rod on L2800 Kubota #7  
WIthout the FEL, the L2800 has a piece of metal that drops down about 4 or so inches to protect the rods. Most of the time when they mount the FEL with the brush guard, they remove that guard (you would need to have longer bolts to use both guards, I was told). A few dealers would go the extra mile but mine sure didn't :mad:.

I bent mine rod once, now I watch out for it. Could you build a something to protect the tie rod???

/ I keep bending my tie rod on L2800 Kubota #8  
Why cant a tractor manufacturer put the tie rods behind the axle rather than in front. That would eliminate most of the problem unless you back into a tree or something..

Gary for those manufacturers that do put it behind the axle, it really doesn't get any protection as it is below the axle!!!! That to me is even worse as you can't normally look at it and we use the axle as a guide as to how deep we can go but the tie rod is below the axle so it still gets dragged and bent!

/ I keep bending my tie rod on L2800 Kubota #9  
or it gets shrouded in a steering pedistal, and when it does need service it's hard to get to.. etc.

soundguy

/ I keep bending my tie rod on L2800 Kubota #10  
When I was a teenager, My Grandfather bought a Late model 60+ HP Case tractor and a New 6 ft Bush Hog. It was direct spline drive on the gearbox, no shearpins, no slip clutches. He installed a 4 inch well casing across the entire front width of the tractor (tire to tire) and told me that anything I could push over, to cut it then mulch it with the bush hog. I did a lot of 6 inch sasafras and locust. The front well casing protected the tie rod ends and grill of the tractor. I can remember having the tractor 5 ft in the air, riding down a sapling, then using the hand clutch to ease forward and basically saw off the tree, then raise my bush hog over the tree lap and lower it slowly while mulching it into hundred of pieces. Man that was fun LOL. That was then and this is now and I better not see my Kids or Grandkids trying something like that today! Ken Sweet