I killed my Ford 8N ... now it won't start

/ I killed my Ford 8N ... now it won't start #41  
Even in good conditions 6V is hard to start. A damp day will make them very hard to start. If the starter motor turns the motor over well check for arc at the plug. If there is not a good arc at the plug it could be one of these things: A bad condenser. My biggest problem. I have bought several brand new condensers that were bad. A bad distributor cap. Check for corrosion on rotor contacts. If the distributor cap is old or dirty replace it. The point gap won't affect your arc at the plug that much. The tractor just won't run well if the point gap is off. And check your timing. It won't start if the timing has slipped. A 6V system won't tolerate much foolishness. Things have to be crisp and clean.

Popycock.

I have 6v tractors that start faster than modern automobiles..

a good well maintained tractor can start in a single rev of the starter.. I have ones that prove it.

soundguy

Totally agree soundguy. My 6 volt 8n starts and runs like the wind. 30 Model A also. Why so many convert to 12 volt is a mystery to me.

Last edited:
   / I killed my Ford 8N ... now it won't start #42  
easier to convert than to maintain properly for some I guess.

soundguy

/ I killed my Ford 8N ... now it won't start
Good idea to tow it around the yard ... gotta move a load of wood in the barn that seemed to relocate in front of the tractor since it wasn't running for so long, but not a big deal. I am also guessing stuck valve. Hope this loosens it up.

Keep y'all posted