I learned some things today about top and tilt while blading gravel and dirt.

/ I learned some things today about top and tilt while blading gravel and dirt. #21  
A couple of things to know about roll-over box blades. They were first designed when rear remote hydraulics hadn't really even been heard of let alone commonly used. With a RO box blade you basically can set your top link and you normally would never have to adjust it again. You raise the implement up and pull a lever to rotate the box. It is common for the rippers to fall down and you would be ready to do some scarifying. :cool: After the implement has been raised and the lever pulled, you then lower down close to the ground and back up if you want the box facing backwards or pull forward to have it facing forwards. You often may need to pull on the lever to get past the ripper lock position. The whole idea was to be able to have the box in all of it's different positions without having to ever get out of the tractor seat. Where as back then with a std box blade you had to put the rippers down by hand and you had to always be adjusting the top link depending on if you were digging forward, or backwards.

Today with all the hydraulics that are available, pretty much no reason to have to move much of anything except your hand to make all of these adjustments. ;)

Thanks for the information. I found a video on You Tube of a guy using a roll over box blade and can sure see how handy it would be in comparison to a regular one without hydraulics. It was an old one and didn't know if maybe there had been some improvements to utilize hydraulics.

Free Gannon Earthcavator - YouTube

/ I learned some things today about top and tilt while blading gravel and dirt. #22  
Thanks for the information. I found a video on You Tube of a guy using a roll over box blade and can sure see how handy it would be in comparison to a regular one without hydraulics. It was an old one and didn't know if maybe there had been some improvements to utilize hydraulics.

Free Gannon Earthcavator - YouTube

Before Land Pride discontinued their roll-over version, they had an option of a hydraulic instead of the pull lever. Did exactly the same thing. Other than that the hitch points changed design over the years and from manufacturer to manufacturer. ;)

/ I learned some things today about top and tilt while blading gravel and dirt. #23  
The original rollover box blade was the Earthcavator, built by Gannon in Buena Park, CA starting in 1948. Gannon was later bought by Woods Equipment. Woods sold both the Gannon and the very similar Gill flavors until a couple or three years ago. Land Pride also built one, but discontinued it about five years ago. Currently they are sold under three brands: Dirt Dog Mfg. (sold by McGee Farm Equipment and Sweet Farm Equipment, among others). Bush Hog (made for them by Dirt Dog), and A&B Eagle Line. The Eagle Line is about 100 pounds heavier than the Dirt Dog/Bush Hog - a 6' Dirt Dog is 710 lbs, an Eagle Line is 810. I really wish I could find one of the Land Pride units with the hydraulic cylinder!

/ I learned some things today about top and tilt while blading gravel and dirt. #24  
Hi Fred, I haven't heard from you in a good long while..Are you getting any good out of that DK45se?

James K0UA

Hi, James, long time no see. No I haven't taken delivery yet, I still have to go to the dealer to exercise my visitation rights. We've decided on our building, and are in negotions with a contractor for the necessary site prep and erection, so hopefully I'll be able to take delivery within a couple of months. It's been quite frustrating to have a tractor and not be able to use it for lack of secure storage.

Fred

/ I learned some things today about top and tilt while blading gravel and dirt. #25  
Before Land Pride discontinued their roll-over version, they had an option of a hydraulic instead of the pull lever. Did exactly the same thing. Other than that the hitch points changed design over the years and from manufacturer to manufacturer. ;)

Thanks for the information, I couldn't find much on them.

The original rollover box blade was the Earthcavator, built by Gannon in Buena Park, CA starting in 1948. Gannon was later bought by Woods Equipment. Woods sold both the Gannon and the very similar Gill flavors until a couple or three years ago. Land Pride also built one, but discontinued it about five years ago. Currently they are sold under three brands: Dirt Dog Mfg. (sold by McGee Farm Equipment and Sweet Farm Equipment, among others). Bush Hog (made for them by Dirt Dog), and A&B Eagle Line. The Eagle Line is about 100 pounds heavier than the Dirt Dog/Bush Hog - a 6' Dirt Dog is 710 lbs, an Eagle Line is 810. I really wish I could find one of the Land Pride units with the hydraulic cylinder!

Thanks, I didn't know anyone still made them, I guess I would have to use one to fully appreciate one. The hydraulic scarifiers and floating rear gate seem to allow me to do everything I need, but as mentioned have no experience with the roll over, I guess we prefer what we know best.

/ I learned some things today about top and tilt while blading gravel and dirt. #26  
Thanks for the information, I couldn't find much on them.

Thanks, I didn't know anyone still made them, I guess I would have to use one to fully appreciate one. The hydraulic scarifiers and floating rear gate seem to allow me to do everything I need, but as mentioned have no experience with the roll over, I guess we prefer what we know best.

Most all professionals out west used to have them all the way into the 70s-80s. But with rear hydraulics and the design of the box blade such as what you have with your Land Pride unit, the roll-over has become a thing of the past such as that the major manufacturers of them have discontinued them. The RO units being built today are for home owners or ranchers mainly. They are still a very good implement and a person gets all the benifits without having to have any rear remotes. ;)