I need a new (used) truck

/ I need a new (used) truck #31  
Rat; find yourself a second generation 12 valve Dodge Cumins 2500 with a good motor. Rebuild the steering and running gear and your good for quite a few years.:thumbsup:

/ I need a new (used) truck #32  
Ah, yes, the corrosion problem. Note that the news release was just last month and they are covering vehicles built clear back in 1995. How many manufacturers would do that? In fact, 40 years ago, a rusted out 5 year old car wasn't unusual in the rust belt. I knew a guy in California who would buy a clean, rust free older car, a highly desired model, and drive it to the northeast and sell it for enough of a profit to pay for most of his trip, a trip he had to take anyway.

You can check out reliability & read reviews at Edmunds or Cartalk. But to my surprise, Edmunds reports the base models of the 2004 Dakota, Ranger and Chevy Colorado get the same reliability rating as the Tacoma--obviously unreliable reliability info!

That press release was from two years ago, and the inspections have been extended through the 2004 models. We have a 2004 purchased in August '04 that recently passed the frame inspection. Although the rear bumper is starting deform/rust.

/ I need a new (used) truck
Rat; find yourself a second generation 12 valve Dodge Cumins 2500 with a good motor. Rebuild the steering and running gear and your good for quite a few years.:thumbsup:

Yeah, MChalkey was hot on that one. :thumbsup:

/ I need a new (used) truck #34  
I had a 2nd gen dodge ram 1500 4x4 quadcab (1999). It was great when it ran. Had sensor problems, also the steering was horrible. I put about 4k into the steering before i just refused to do it anymore. This was the year that they took the jeep front ends and put them onto the trucks, bad move. I had a lot of lumberjack steering (going back and forth with the steering wheel as you drive). I ended up cash for clunkering it. I couldnt drive it that far, and there were bees in the wheel well. The wife got a vw out of it and i will be first in line for a small diesel truck when they get here.
If you are thinking of an older dodge, go to dodgetalk.com and talk to the folks there they are a good group.

/ I need a new (used) truck
I had a 2nd gen dodge ram 1500 4x4 quadcab (1999). It was great when it ran. Had sensor problems, also the steering was horrible. I put about 4k into the steering before i just refused to do it anymore. This was the year that they took the jeep front ends and put them onto the trucks, bad move. I had a lot of lumberjack steering (going back and forth with the steering wheel as you drive). I ended up cash for clunkering it. I couldnt drive it that far, and there were bees in the wheel well. The wife got a vw out of it and i will be first in line for a small diesel truck when they get here.
If you are thinking of an older dodge, go to dodgetalk.com and talk to the folks there they are a good group.

I'm not (thinking of a older Dodge)

/ I need a new (used) truck #36  
Re: Date of press release, Oops! I guess I am living in the past. Another senior moment.

One more thing about my Rangers that I recalled yesterday, both of them leaked water around the windshield. Didn't get an electrical fire like I did with the Dodge, however. The '91 Ranger leaked when almost new and the dealer wasn't interested in fixing it--said I would have to leave it for a week or more. Never went back to that dealer for service...

/ I need a new (used) truck #37  
This is what _Rat_ asked:
Any advice on a truck, your experience on fuel economy versus what you thought you would get?

Reckon some of you lads are losing sight of the fuel economy requirement.