I need a round baler!

/ I need a round baler! #61  
Using sisal twine means you just feed the hay and stay in the comfort of a heated cab. Net-wrap on 4' wide round balers is not as popular in the center states like TN,KY,NC,VA,WV and other areas because this is the freeze/thaw region. Much of the hay is stored outside & net is frozen to the bale. When the net is frozen to the bale it is a mess to cut off & all this happens in the cold in the morning before work. The cow/calf producer often feeds in multiple places. The time saved on the front-end with net-wrap does not work on the backend.

So they can digest that stuff eh.

Makes sense to me.

D.

/ I need a round baler! #62  
So they can digest that stuff eh.

Makes sense to me.

D.
Yes they digest the sisal. We have been doing it since 1972. 400 cow heard.

/ I need a round baler! #63  
I have been looking at used round balers, and found one that I have questions about. It is a JD 458 standard, looks like new except for the pick up teeth are all bent, not in a straight line like they should be, yet it has both gauge wheels. Weird. The dealer says he will throw in new teeth but I have to put them on. Can anything else be damaged in the pickup that I cant see? Changing teeth is about like a SSB?

Also it is twine only, although it is electric with the monitor. I will have to store these bales outside until fed up and most everything I read says to go with net. Time isnt so much of a concern due to the quantity of bales I will be making per year but I dont want them all to spoil.

I can get it for half the price of a new 458 with net, so I am really tempted to pic this up soon, but if net is the way to go I will keep looking or break down and order one.

I have JD dealers close so that is what my search is concentrated around.

/ I need a round baler! #64  
I have been looking at used round balers, and found one that I have questions about. It is a JD 458 standard, looks like new except for the pick up teeth are all bent, not in a straight line like they should be, yet it has both gauge wheels. Weird. The dealer says he will throw in new teeth but I have to put them on. Can anything else be damaged in the pickup that I cant see? Changing teeth is about like a SSB?

Also it is twine only, although it is electric with the monitor. I will have to store these bales outside until fed up and most everything I read says to go with net. Time isnt so much of a concern due to the quantity of bales I will be making per year but I dont want them all to spoil.

I can get it for half the price of a new 458 with net, so I am really tempted to pic this up soon, but if net is the way to go I will keep looking or break down and order one.

I have JD dealers close so that is what my search is concentrated around.

What kind of money are you looking at?

D.

/ I need a round baler! #65  
Darin, the used 458 is around 13500.

/ I need a round baler! #66  
Darin, the used 458 is around 13500.

you can get a brnad new New Holland Rollbelt 450 which is the equivalent of the Deere 458 for $17,500 with low rate financing for 4 or 5 years. THe New Holland comes with a rear bale ramp, gauge wheels, is auto wrap and has a monitor.

/ I need a round baler! #67  
I didn't read every post here, but i didn't see anyone comment on your comment that you were looking at a Gehl.

I would avoid the Ford and Gehl round balers at this point since Gehl is out of the farm equip business and parts are already getting hard to find ( so my Gehl/ Ford owning friends tell me). The Vermeers are an excellent and economical choice as they have low hp requirements.