I need a smaller bucket - BH90

/ I need a smaller bucket - BH90 #1  

txdon

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 3032E
One of my upcoming tractor project is removing selected smaller mesquite. I have been using my 18" bucket on my BH90 on my L5030 but it just digs too big of a hole. I also feel like I will be able to pop more roots with more power and less dirt with a small bucket. I have several questions:

Has anyone have any experience digging out mesquite or other trees with a smaller bucket?

What is the procedure for changing out the buckets? The owners manual basically says to put both buckets next to each other on level ground and remove bucket. I was hoping the manual would tell in detail how to remove the bucket. If anyone has changed out the bucket how easy or difficult is it?

Thanks!

/ I need a smaller bucket - BH90 #2  
We don't have mesquite :) But I've used the 12 in bucket on my BH90 to extract Agarita and Texas persimmon.

The Agarita pops out with only a small hole remaining. The Texas persimmon lives up to it's namesake and is quite difficult, due to its large root system which can run in any direction.

I was also disappointed in the BH90 manual's terse description of how to switch buckets. FWIW I was planning to get the dealer to show me how to do the switch as part of the deal when buying my 2nd bucket :)

Talon Dancer

/ I need a smaller bucket - BH90 #3  
I've got a 4690 backhoe, not a BH90, but I think the bucket attachment is the same. There are two pins that hold the bucket and dipperstick together. There is a bolt through the end of each pin to hold it in place. Just remove the bolt and tap out the pin. If you can, use a brass drift against the pin to tap it out - that will keep it from getting banged up.

If you have been keeping the pins and joints greased, they should come out easily. Otherwise it may take more than a "tap".

When reinswtalling, the toughest part will be aligining the dipperstick and bucket hold to drive the pin back in. Your drift or some other bar can probably help to align the holes. One the pins are back in, reinstall the retainer bolts.

/ I need a smaller bucket - BH90 #4  
Greetings,
Yep, I switch between a 12 and an 18 inch bucket on occasion.
Use the 12 for water and electric lines, popping mesquites and root balls and the 18 for digging holes.
It is pretty easy to switch with these smaller buckets as they aren't too heavy.
Follow the instructions above and you should be good to go.
I use aluminum tube for a drift only because I have quite a few pieces laying around.

/ I need a smaller bucket - BH90
TalonDancer, Hayden, and Vern1, thanks for the info, that's what I was looking for!

Do other companies make the 12" bucket or have all of y'all stuck with Kubota bucket? When I bought the tractor 4 years ago an extra bucket was about $500, has the price changed much?

/ I need a smaller bucket - BH90 #6  
When you dig up them Mesquites make sure you get the "NUT" as it's referred to as of the root ball or it will keep coming back. You don't have to get all the roots or the tap root under the "NUT".

Digging and breaking roots is easier with a smaller bucket.

Watch out for the thorns, they like tractor tires, hands, feet, leggs and if you don't already know will cause a knot to swell up if ya get stuck by one, they have some kind of substance on the thorn tip that doesn't agree with flesh.

One more thing is to pick up all the thorns since they will take many years to decompose, unlike the limbs, the thorns will cause flats for years to come.

/ I need a smaller bucket - BH90 #7  
Greetings,
Mine came with both buckets so I can't say on price.
And on the thorns, I used to race off road motorcycles in this stuff so I know about the pain and stiffness associated with them.
Foam filled tires on the 'bota are handy for this (but **** on the back)....

/ I need a smaller bucket - BH90 #8  
Don -- just borrow my 9" to try it. If it works - great - if you break it :eek: then we know it won't work for that and I won't try it.:p I swap between my 9 & 18 without a problem ... 2 keeper bolts and drive the pins out then grease 'em and put 'em back. no biggy. DARN! that means I'll HAVE to go back to the country sooner than expected ... hate it when that happens...:rolleyes: ;) uhhhh it may be the one that's on the BH now which means we'll have to take it off -- may mean mounting the BH on the tractor but we can swap 'em in the barn before you take it home to do.

/ I need a smaller bucket - BH90
Wushaw, my tires were filled with multi-seal at the dealers when I bought the tractor and so far I have had no flats even with my thousands of mesquite trees/bushes.

Mike, The nine inch bucket would be great! The only question I have, and maybe some here on TBN could answer:

Will a WOODS 80X backhoe bucket fit a KUBOTA BH90 Backhoe???