I think I have overfilled my HST

/ I think I have overfilled my HST #1  

DGS

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota 1830 BX
When checking the HST the other day it did not show any level on the dipstick but the fluid being so clear I may have misjudged the level. Put over 1.5 liters in the oil fill In diff.
Going out next day I checked the level on the dipstick and it showes double over the top mark.
Any sugestions please?
Thanks in advance.
DGS

/ I think I have overfilled my HST #2  
When you first checked it were your implements all they way in the down position? Were you on level ground?

/ I think I have overfilled my HST #3  
DGS,
Sometimes this dipstick thing is a pain in the %^*#! It is hard to see.On my 23 its a pain to get it out.I too have wondered about the implement positioning thing.In MY OPINION [i might be wrong] it shouldnt matter,where that they are all double acting cylinders.When the oil is coming out of one side it is going in the other .If a piston is all the way out the oil is behind it,when its all the way in its in front of it .If you are sure its too high on the dipstick,id just loosen up the drain screw[dont remove all the way] and let some drip out.Some here have suggested paint your stick white.I rub mine on a paper towel,that shows where its wet.Good luck
ALAN

/ I think I have overfilled my HST #4  
Remember, The oil volume in a retracted cylinder is less than an extended cylinder. So implement position will effect the volume in the sump to a certain extent. I don't think that the modern tractor transmissions are very sensitive to being overfull since they are basically open sumps. Each time you break the hydraulic connections you will lose a little fluid anyway.

Vernon

/ I think I have overfilled my HST #5  
texbaylea said:
Remember, The oil volume in a retracted cylinder is less than an extended cylinder. So implement position will effect the volume in the sump to a certain extent. I don't think that the modern tractor transmissions are very sensitive to being overfull since they are basically open sumps. Each time you break the hydraulic connections you will lose a little fluid anyway.

Vernon
True,the piston shaft would take up some volume,good point VERNON.I overfill mine sometimes. I would say unless you think you way overfilled it ,id leave it,if there is a problem it will come out the breather,might want to check that after the oils hot
ALAN

/ I think I have overfilled my HST #6  
I agree with all the previous posts, but configuring implements to measure oil level seems a tad esoteric for my little redneck brain.

My BX23 HST oil level definitely varies depending upon what is attached. After a while I stopped worrying about it, as long as *something* shows up on that puny little dipstick. When the dealer delivered it, the HST dipstick was dry. So was the front axle dipstick for that matter.

If you want to remove some SUDT, you can completely pull the drain plug and let a little out with no problem. As long as the filler cap and dipstick are in, it comes out SLOOOOW as air has to glug back in through the drain.

I change my HST filter for grins every 100 hours. It loses maybe 1/3 quart of SUDT total.

No worries. :)

Russell in Texas

/ I think I have overfilled my HST
When I checked the level all implements were lowered .
The FEL was off the machine so it should not have been a factor.
Tractor was on a level surface.
Can someone tell me what capacity is between the marks on the dipstick as this will help me determine just how much to drain if need be.
Thank you all for all your replies.
DGS

/ I think I have overfilled my HST #8  
I did the same thing on my BX-24. I happened to have one of those cheap, plastic 5 dollar hand siphons so I just pumped a little out. That would be the easiest solution IMO. I would estimate the width of the full zone to be about a pint or so.

/ I think I have overfilled my HST #9  
Singlecoil said:
I did the same thing on my BX-24. I happened to have one of those cheap, plastic 5 dollar hand siphons so I just pumped a little out. That would be the easiest solution IMO. I would estimate the width of the full zone to be about a pint or so.

I don't doubt it, but one pint on a 2.7 gallon system seems a tad tight.

RDnT