I think my John Deere dealer is becoming "lazy"

/ I think my John Deere dealer is becoming "lazy" #71  
It's not going to get any better. Be sure to have Plan B at the ready.

/ I think my John Deere dealer is becoming "lazy" #72  
Hmm..sounds like a vast price fixing conspiracy!

/ I think my John Deere dealer is becoming "lazy" #73  
One of the dealers here was told he would have to either sell or buy up some smaller dealers. He already out sold 3 local dealers. He owns a large farm, a seed/fertilizer business, the grain elevator, and the cotton gin. He probably buys a million or so equipment a year. He told JD that he could use and sell red stuff just as easy as green. I know one of the salesmen there and he told me all this several years back.

It's either "GO BIG OR GO HOME"

/ I think my John Deere dealer is becoming "lazy" #74  
I'll stand up for my dealer as well. They have been great to work with. Just last week, they fixed a leaking seal on a cylinder on my Valby grapple. Valby only warranty the parts, not the labor. Dealer didn't charge me a dime for the labor, although I know they must have had at least 1.5 hours in it.

They always call and/or email me when parts I ordered arrive, or when something they are fixing for me is ready to be picked up.

Heck, they even sold me a 1981 Ford compact tractor at their cost just last week, which was a steal at $2800 with only 380 hours on it. 4x4 no less. :D

They have given me loaner tractors in the past while I was waiting for my tractor to come in. They recently replaced the cab on my M tractor, and gave me a $2500 credit since there were some things I was not completely satisfied with (I'm very picky).

Everybody is always very nice and talkative any time I stop by. And I'm a very small customer of theirs in the grand scheme of things.

Sorry everyone, I know this is off topic but.

Since when did you get a Maschio H205? :D I hope you like yours as much as I like mine, Remember to keep the PTO shaft yokes well greased and everything else on the tiller.

Last edited:
   / I think my John Deere dealer is becoming "lazy" #75  
I think what causes the dealer problems is the protected territory. I remember in the ancient days of the 90's when buying on the net was in it's infancy. I went to my local Kubota dealer and he had the " You gotta buy from me I'm the ONLY guy around". I'm in Ca, and I contacted a dealer in South Carolina that beat his price by almost 10K. I went back and STILL offered my business to the local guy, but he wouldn't budge. I bout from the guy in SC. As he built my tractor he sent me digital pictures every day - remember this was the 90's when digital cameras were only 1MP and they just came out. He made me feel like I was there every day. If manufacturers let two dealers in an area then service would improve because we all can just go down the road. My Local Kubota dealer is such a Jerk I refuse to buy parts or service at his location. He forced me to buy the CAT I have today.

/ I think my John Deere dealer is becoming "lazy" #76  
Cat_Driver,
I have always found Caterpillar sales people to be top notch and hard working salesman too.

/ I think my John Deere dealer is becoming "lazy" #77  
My local Deere dealer was also recently bought out by a "mega" dealer, they are now part of the Pape' group. I have never bought new machinery, both my Deere's are used, one even came from a New Holland dealer! However, I have a great relationship with my local dealer. The parts guys are awesome, they can get me parts within a couple days and the prices aren't too bad, plus they have interests in other things that I have interests in (Jeeps especially). Everyone working in the showroom knows me by name (I must spend too much $ there :laughing:). In my opinion they must be doing something right, I have came in just to visit a few times and always felt welcome, not like they try to push you out the door if your not gonna buy something.
My experience as well, and i don't even have a John Deere Tractor, sounds like some of these more central and eastern dealers could learn something from (PAPE) I get the feeling they PAPE have the policy that any one who walks in the door get's treated with professionalism and respect no matter which of their dealerships it is

/ I think my John Deere dealer is becoming "lazy" #78  
Pleased to report this malaise hasn't spread to South Australia - at least not yet. Our local dealer has sold JD for decades - (also Stihl BTW is there some kind of global link-up there?)

Great, personalized service on a first-name basis, competitive pricing on new equipment, excellent trade-in prices allowing only a reasonable profit margin and great service.

Unfortunately, I realize JD is a global product - if some Harvard- educated whiz-kid has convinced them to shoot themselves in the foot in the US, we're unlikely to escape.

I like my JD a lot, but if our local dealer was forced to change the color of the tractors they sold, I'd still make them my first port of call when trading up. I'd still check what was on offer at other dealers, not looking for the lowest price, but the best overall package for my needs. And that package would include service and support, so they'd have a head start, whatever brand they were selling.

/ I think my John Deere dealer is becoming "lazy" #79  
My experience as well, and i don't even have a John Deere Tractor, sounds like some of these more central and eastern dealers could learn something from (PAPE) I get the feeling they PAPE have the policy that any one who walks in the door get's treated with professionalism and respect no matter which of their dealerships it is

PAPE is the mega dealer I refer to that wouldn't work with me, but that's just one data point.

I had similar results from the huge JD dealer in Ore. They bought up all the JD dealers and cater to corporate ag and construction accounts. I put in a simple request for quotes on 3032E and 3038E tractors and a couple implements using the JD 0% 60 mo. financing. What I got was a super sketchy series of emails culminating with a brief email (not a real quote) offering a used 2011 3038E that wasn't eligible for the JD financing. But I was told I could get "good" financing (but no actual terms specified) for the used tractor. They obviously don't give a hoot about me or my business.

I got a better price and a real quote on a new 3038E from the only other JD dealer in Ore., which is a lawn & garden shop. So they only sell up to 100 HP.

I am getting better pricing from the mega dealer on parts and supplies, however. The price on 5 gal. of hy gard was almost double at the lawn & garden shop. So it really pays to shop around.

/ I think my John Deere dealer is becoming "lazy"
Update: my dealer finally called me today to tell me my loader was in and they'd be picking up y tractor Monday. Took a little longer then I expected and apparently they had a hard time finding a loader to fit my 5203. Does the 553 not fit it?