I think tomorrow is the day!

/ I think tomorrow is the day! #11  
The 290 will cut with a 25" bar but not very fast, It will be even worse untill it get broke in with 5 to 10 tanks of fuel. A better setup would be a .325 20" Steve

/ I think tomorrow is the day! #12  
Man last time I priced a 290 they were $359 last year. :confused2:

/ I think tomorrow is the day!
I still haven't tried out my saw yet as it is raining once again (rains a lot in the Pacific NW) so it is just idling in the shed until our weather improves. I did however get a picture of it getting acquainted to its new home and being with my Husqvarna. So now I have a big saw and a little one which I will not stop there, depending on how well my 290 preforms, I may have to look into a bigger saw as i plan on working with firewood for a long time since I got a log splitter. For now i will make do with what i have and see where I go from there. :) I will be comparing my 290 with my step Dad's 290 which has a 20" bar and I wont compare it with my Husqvarna as i will definitely notice the difference there. :laughing:

Attachments

• 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    922.2 KB · Views: 153
  • 024.JPG
    024.JPG
    908.5 KB · Views: 148
  • 023.JPG
    023.JPG
    919.1 KB · Views: 139
  • 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    918.4 KB · Views: 142
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    926.5 KB · Views: 139
   / I think tomorrow is the day! #15  
The first thing I notice is that you have a great spot for this work. Another is that most if not all of those logs are far smaller then the length of your chainsaw bar. I think the real comparison to your dad's 290 should include how much the longer bar helps or hinders the work, how tired you feel at the end of a full day with one saw as opposed to another. It is not just line up the two guys and see who makes three cuts faster. It's how you feel after using the tool for 6-8 hours.

The guy that cut those trees surely knows how to use a chainsaw from the looks of the hinges on the logs.

/ I think tomorrow is the day! #16  
25" bar and chain are going to add a good bit to the price. As I remember 16" bar was the standard when I bought mine.

MarkV

They had a 20" on them for that here.

That husky 235 has a 35cc strato poulan heart with husky coil spring av. I have a poulan version. They are what they are cheap price, heavy for cc size trim saw or loaner saws.

25" bar I'm grabbing this. :drool:

Kev20101678.jpg

/ I think tomorrow is the day! #17  
Your 290's probably came with RMC or RM3 chain. If you want to surprise your dad. Put a loop of RSC on your saw. In one cut that chain was 35% faster then the RM chains. Square file the RSC chain to a RSLK and it was 50% faster in 1 cut testing.

Then (someday) muffler mod and carb adjustment will get you another 20%-23% faster.

Been there tested that. ;):thumbsup:

/ I think tomorrow is the day! #19  
Nice saw, but I definatally agree with others here, if you burry all 25" of that bar into a log, shes gonna be wanting more power.

Heck, there are many times I wished I had more power with my 84cc ported dolmar when the 24" bar gets burried. And a saw that sized, just wouldnt seem balanced well with that bar:confused2: but to each his own.

/ I think tomorrow is the day! #20  
Well, since you have it mounted up with the 25" B/C, if you're wanting for more chain speed you can try skip chain. (less cutters/more connecting links) It will help. 18-20" is the most I'd personally put on a 290, plus don't see anything in those piles that size wouldn't cut easily. But I understand it's a West Coast thing. I've seen 026/260s w/ 25" B/C full skip setups for limbing.

Good luck putting up your wood this summer. I have a bunch of Sugar Maple to split and put up. Most of it will need to be quartered with a saw just so I can move it to the splitter.