I USED to want a HST, not anymore!

/ I USED to want a HST, not anymore! #51  
tuolumne said:
John Deere has done some work with automated GPS guided farm equipment. There was a very intriguing photograph in a 2005 calender I had of a sleek four wheel drive tractor with no operators station. I would love to know more about this project if anyone has any information. Technology like this troubles me a bit, but I can't help being curious. I saw a solar powered self operating lawn mower a few years back that would continously mow the lawn at random.

I can see it now, computer locks up on remote controlled tractor and it runs amok tearing down fences and a barn. Cows escape causing wreck on roadway, etc . JD says it is just a minor glitch :) We should have considered that the controller was not waterproof...

There are limits as to how far I trust technology, and I have worked in the bleeding edge of Tech for many years.

/ I USED to want a HST, not anymore! #52  
The latest Case RTK units will provide accuracy of less than an inch when the tractor and attached equipment is traversing a field. That includes compensating for any tilt away from vertical caused by the lay of the land. No way a human operator could do that from the cab.

/ I USED to want a HST, not anymore! #53  
Mine has basic CC as well. I switch on the right hand near the 3 point lever. You can upgrade to automotive CC as well.

I use the basic one for brush hogging... although, when you disengage it, you have to have your foot on the pedal or you come to a sudden halt. I'm tempted to upgrade to the automotive version.

/ I USED to want a HST, not anymore! #54  
Greyfields said:
Mine has basic CC as well. I switch on the right hand near the 3 point lever. You can upgrade to automotive CC as well.

I use the basic one for brush hogging... although, when you disengage it, you have to have your foot on the pedal or you come to a sudden halt. I'm tempted to upgrade to the automotive version.

I have the automotive style and it works basically the same way. You still have to have your foot on the pedal if you don't want that sudden stop. For me, I just use my foot. Don't think about cruise anymore.

/ I USED to want a HST, not anymore! #55  
I have a JD 3320 with Automotive Cruise Control and I keep MotionMatch on the long run out setting when using it so that releasing it is not such a big jolt. MotionMatch settings can be adjusted to taste.

Steve