I want spray paint my chicken coop - need sprayer recommendations

/ I want spray paint my chicken coop - need sprayer recommendations #11  
I bought one of these. It works amazing. We have sprayed mostly oil through it and clean up is easy, just run mineral spirits through it. Latex would be easier clean up, just use water. The one i bought was reconditioned from ebay and has stained a house and 2 large barns so far. You can spray most large buildings in a half day easily. Airless Electric Paint Sprayer Gun Hose Painter Roller Refurbished | eBay

/ I want spray paint my chicken coop - need sprayer recommendations
Airless got it. Graco got it - maybe.

What do you guys think of this one? Graco Project Painter Plus-257025 - The Home Depot

19fdae5f-dcd0-43dc-bba1-9e685fc63cfd_400.jpg

The one attribute that really caught my eye:

"Spray directly from 1 or 5 gal. paint containers"

/ I want spray paint my chicken coop - need sprayer recommendations #13  
I have painted my whole house with Wagner power Painter - it worked great but it can be noisy and holding the quart of paint on the end of your arm can get a little tiring after a few hours of standing on a ladder. The keys to a paint sprayer is the paint viscosity and the sprayer adjustment and, of course, clean paint. Almost any sprayer will do. I purchased a commerecial wagner unit at a garage sale for $100 many years ago now and it is great as it sucks it out of a pail and it is much faster than a power painter.

Paint - I prefer Behr but there are a lot of good paints available. Behr is not low cost. Like Eddie said though use a primer and he gave you great recommendations. If you want to stay low cost barn red and white are definitely lower cost than other colors.

I have one of these, and have painted enamel on a metal trailer and latex in the house - including on an acoustic ceiling. Works great.

/ I want spray paint my chicken coop - need sprayer recommendations #14  
I have two airless sprayers, a commercial Graco,which I use for painting rental houses, and a small Wagner with a 2 gallon hopper on the top. For painting a chicken house the smaller machine would work well for you.
The advantage of the smaller unit includes ease of moving it around the project, it's much easier to clean, and it is a lot cheaper. I paid 150 dollars for mine at HD, and it gets used to paint a lot more than buildings around here
Please don't ignore the advice to use a primer before painting the topcoat, it is essential to a quality finished product, and if you want a paint job that will still look good a few years down the road, put on two coats of paint. You won't regret it.

/ I want spray paint my chicken coop - need sprayer recommendations #15  
   / I want spray paint my chicken coop - need sprayer recommendations #16  
I'm rebuilding a chicken house that my BIL built about 5 years or so ago. Parts of it are old, parts of it are treated wood and parts are just OSB.

I really don't know what I'll paint it with yet. I need to call my local paint store and get their recommendations. I know that I used some sort of "sealer" paint that I had left over from our house painting of late 2013. The painter then recommended it for my pole barn sniper's hide that I built concurrently back then. It's held up well, although it's not directly in the weather like the chicken house will be. ETA: I think the brand name was Valspar as well.

I know most people don't want to hear this, but it needs to be done on the "cheap". Or maybe a better way to put it is: highest value for the lowest cost.

I like the idea of renting from HD, except that I'm about 20 miles from the nearest one, hence, I'd rather just get the paint gun sprayer so I'll have it for other projects.

I need to get some pics of this chicken house. It's turning into a monster.

Thanks,

Honestly, I think I would paint it with a brush instead of spraying it because of the variety of materials you are working with and the ability to really force the paint into areas that might not get very much if spraying. I really don't like to use my sprayers, I do when it makes sense, but when you factor in prep work of an area and clean up time, I almost always go for the roller and brush.

Behr used to be a great paint. Somewhere in the recent past, they where bought out by Kilz or whoever owns Kilz and the quaily of the paint is now just as bad as Kilz is. I've never understood how they stay in business or why anybody would buy that stuff. I never see any commercials for it, but I always hear from the people who have used it that they heard from somebody that it was the best. Word of mouth seems to be the only thing that sells it, an dit works. And of course, the crazy part is that it's terrible compared to what Sherwin Williams sells and any of the Zinsser products. I also heard that all paints had to be reformulated by some Federal Government law eliminating something that was used in the paint. Kind of like what happened when they took lead out of the paint. Valspar seems to be the only big box store brand of paint that has been able to come up with a formula that works. Cost of paint has doubled because of this, but when you paint for clients, it would be suicide to use cheaper paint and expect to get referrals for other jobs. Clients pay for the paint anyway, so I always go with what I feel is the very best product for their homes.

Eddie

/ I want spray paint my chicken coop - need sprayer recommendations #17  
Eddie - Can you more specific about you do not like about Behr? I find it goes on easy covers well and is very durable. I have using it for 15 years but I do not use it every day like you do. Still, what I purchased and applied last year didn't seem much different than what I had used before.

I did buy a gallon at a DoItBest hardware locally because I did not want to drive to get the Behr and that was a PITA to apply and it hasn't been very durable.

I definitely agree with you on the prices - and I think Behr has been on the leading edge of price increases.

/ I want spray paint my chicken coop - need sprayer recommendations #18  
I haven't used Behr in over a year because the last couple times I used it, I had to paint everything twice. The semi gloss white was horrible. I'm always painting trim and use that one color probably more then anything else. Used to be a time when I thought it was better then Valspar, but it costs the same, but takes twice as long to get the job done.

And NEVER, EVER try to use their exterior wood stain!!!!! Probably my biggest disaster ever. I recommended Sherwin Williams or Cabots stain to my clients for a deck that I built for them. They went to Home Depot and brought back some brochure showing all the different colors they had to chose from. They wanted five different colors. All UGLY!!! It didn't stick very well or absorb into the wood. When done, it looked blotchy. My clients where very unhappy and accused me of doing it wrong. We called Behr and talked to their Representative who said that I did everything right, and that the wood was the problem. They wouldn't take back their stain, or give a refund, but they did sell them the stuff to remove it. Fortunately it came off pretty easily by applying the remover and hosing it off. Then I did it with stain from Sherwin Williams in just once color and it came out awesome. I ended up losing money on that job because of the time dealing with the Behr stain and trying to make the client happy. Mistake on my part, but sometimes you just get in so deep on a job, all you can do is keep pushing to get it done.

Eddie

/ I want spray paint my chicken coop - need sprayer recommendations #19  
I would recommend a airless for latex,
if a air sprayer, is desired use a paint pot and a air gun, one will not get enough paint with a siphon gun and you will have to thin the paint to water like thinness,
with a paint pot you can push the paint to the gun with very little thinning,

my airless is a Graco EH333 it was made in the 70's is my guess, still a very good sprayer, and I sue a titian pole gun, you can cover a lot of area in a short time,

but I have used the paint pot and air sprayer to paint latex paints before,

/ I want spray paint my chicken coop - need sprayer recommendations #20  
I just painted the inside of my grainery/workshop and the inside of a 40x60 barn that was never painted with a Cambell Hausfeld airless bucket sprayer. An airless sprayer like those better ones mentioned make easy work of the job. If you are young and may ever need to use a sprayer for a house job or a garage job, spring for a $3-400 dollar one. You won't use them every day but they sure make life easier.