I wish I could weld

/ I wish I could weld #11  
Welding tips and tricks.com is the best. Jody really knows his stuff.

Welding Tips and Tricks - TIG, MIG, Stick and a pantload of other info

Agree, but get a good textbook too. The problem with videos is that they provide snippets of good information but generally fail to go over theory and safety in an organized manner. I bought several welding books but find that just one is head and shoulders above the others as an organized text with clear photographs, specific exercises at each level and is clearly written. That text is Welding Principles and Applications by Larry Jeffus. It is in the seventh or eighth edition now but I am very happy with the sixth edition I got used from Amazon. You get what you pay for, this is not a cheap book but used (about $25) is is a great deal. It is used in vocational ed programs and is so well done that you could literally teach yourself to weld and also understand safety etc. It isn't an industry reference manual, it's a well thought out textbook. The author taught welding for many decades.

I got two copies used from Amazon (one for the summer place) and paid about $25 each. Well worth it. Welding: Principles and Applications: Larry Jeffus: 978141852751: Amazon.com: Books

/ I wish I could weld #12  
dalroo...I picked up a Lincoln 180 Mig 4 years ago (at 53) when working on a Jeep project with my son. I never welded before but with some practice, patience and YouTube...we were fabricating some nice parts. Most of the welding has been indoors and having the option to use gas is key. I went with the 230V machine knowing I need to weld some heavier material. Better to spend a little more up front than regret buying a smaller machine later.

It's not something that's used a lot but sure is HANDY to have around! :thumbsup:
After buying the tractor, there are a few more planned projects that will put it to good use.

/ I wish I could weld #14  
I am 52 and want to learn to weld. I've looked into the vo-techs in the area, and can't find any that offer welding as continuing ed, only full-blown courses for those wanting to make welding a career. I've considered just buying a mig welder and going for it, but haven't done yet. I've watched lots of how-to videos on youtube, and if I can't find someone/someplace to teach me, they may be my primary source for getting started.
I suggest you buy a welder. Look at Everlast's line up. For the money their welders have a fantastic arc:cool:. Then run an ad in your local newspaper. Or Craig's list for a welder to help you. It is amazing how much you will improve with someone that knows what they are doing to stand behind you, reach around you and grab your hand to help. Several members here, and Welding Web have come to my shop for help with their welding. They all say the same thing, just a couple hours with me makes a big difference in their learning.

/ I wish I could weld #15  
>>>very enjoyable to at long last be melting some metal. As you can see, I have a long way to go yet !
[2.5mm(3/32") 6013<<<

Eric if you can weld like that with 3/32, you are a natural. Many folks can't do that with 1/8 for years. 3/32 is held sorta 25% closer to the work and the rod is more flexy, it's significantly more difficult. Good for you! With that good hand control don't shy away from TIG. I know you don't have one.

Most stick welders think of all welding projects as being 3/16" at the thinnest and avoid even 1/8" thick because it burns thru. Many newbies never learn to use materials below 1/8" or even think of it. You can kinda tell because they always advise thicker material. :) Not because the project needs it but because >>they<< can't envision welding it. It depends what you've been wanting to build or repair, what your projects are. And whether you need hydraulics to move them around. But with the ability to use 3/32 stick you can do a lot more than most. MIG can weld to 1/16" with ease, but thats a different tool.

Your friend recommended stick to you, perhaps you explained your projects and that's the right tool. But often old stick welders don't want you to weld before you can walk so they kinda resent the ease of the MIG. If you start with MIG you'd be satisfied quickly thus never appreciate what they had to go thru (back in the day).

I have MIG / Stick /TIG multi-process machine. I only use stick to keep in practice or to be classical. Like welding on my old Jeep, it just doesn't look right with a pretty MIG weld. TIG is my current darling but the MIG does most of the work.

Fun stuff. Congrats on your new skill. :thumbsup:

/ I wish I could weld
Eric they don't look bad at all! Do yourself a big favor, clean the metal real well before welding on it.
Far as Mig being easy. Back when there was a lot of manufacturing in the USA, there was a term for guys who could only run Mig. Mig monkeys. With only a couple hours of training they could make great looking welds, but that doesn't mean the welds are strong! :thumbdown:

Thanks, I will make a better job of cleaning before I start the next time. I can see I am going to be spending a lot more quality time with my angle grinders than ever before.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply there is no skill in Mig welding, I appreciate there is far more to making a good strong weld and dealing with all the other factors. Maybe one day I will have time to do some Mig, or even Tig, but there seems so much I can potentially do with stick, that I will, err stick with it, for now

/ I wish I could weld
I am in exactly the same boat as you. Maybe 6 months ahead but older so you will catch up quick. Just keep practicing. I like to find little dumb things to make just so I can convince my self I am welding :laughing: You do get better with practice. Have fun !!!!

gg

I realise I have to be patient and can only dream of building dumb things at the moment. Maybe the most appropriate one would be to build a bigger metal box to store all the scrap I can see me producing. A heavier ballast box for the tractor would come in handy, that would be a good place to hide all my ugly slag filled welds, topped off with a little concrete to keep it all out of sight.:)

/ I wish I could weld
Check YouTube for ideas on how to run test welds. Get yourself a good metal chop saw so you can section your test welds and check penetration.

Good luck.

A chop saw would be nice one day. Until then, I guess that's another job for my hand held grinder.

/ I wish I could weld
Looking good Eric.
Try a variety of metal thicknesses and rods. I only practiced on 1/4" and thicker, then my first real weld was a patch on a bush hog deck that was about 10 gauge. I blew a number of holes before I got it dialed in.

I will try different rods in time as you suggest. Blowing holes intentionally could be interesting, is that a viable alternative to drilling a big hole ? I ask because I don't have a proper drill press, which has never been a real problem before because most of my holes have been in wood.

I took a couple of adult ed courses in welding at the local vocational high school starting at about age 60. It is a great way to learn as you get theory, safety, equipment and immediate informed feedback on your welding efforts. I'd suggest taking a course before you purchase any equipment other than personal protective equipment. My only advice other than "do it" would be to buy several pairs of "cheaters" before you start. Gotta be able to see the weld puddle clearly and 60 year old eyes don't focus close without correction. You'll need different strength lenses if you intend to learn multiple welding techniques as for example you need to be closer to a delicate TIG weld than to a stick weld. Cheaters can be found at local welding shops and fit inside standard helmets. You can also just wear reading glasses but I found it more practical to have the cheaters in the helmet so I didn't have to fiddle with them when I take the helmet off. Don't use bifocal or progressive lenses as you will be forced to look down to see the puddle and you'd rather look straight ahead.

That is a great suggestion. I started wearing my bifocals and just as you say, my helmet and eyes can't agree where to look, I kept drifting over the edge of clear vision. In the end I had to take them off. It was better to see a slightly blur picture than 3 side by side images of the same weld pool.

Have to echo the advice about cleaning the metal good first. Sometimes I forget and it's obvious afterwards -- the welder wastes energy burning through mill scale and rust and that shows up in the weld quality and the spatters.

I took a welding course when I was a teenager, it was a night class at a vocational tech school and most other students were adults.

I did some as a teenager too, although that was with gas. At least with electric, I don't have to think about which side of the torch to turn on and off first.

/ I wish I could weld #20  
You can " bore" rough nasty looking holes in steel with a rod, but they are not ideal. Some people have used wet 6011 rod turned up high to cut off steel with too instead of a cutting torch. But it makes kind of a jagged cut that usually needs a lot of clean up with an angle grinder. I have a bandsaw and a drill press. Both make much nicer work.:) But you gotta do with what you have.