I Won't Tell -- Do You Always Get a Required Permit?

/ I Won't Tell -- Do You Always Get a Required Permit? #61  
   / I Won't Tell -- Do You Always Get a Required Permit? #62  
   / I Won't Tell -- Do You Always Get a Required Permit? #63  
Have not read all the posts yet.

But no i dont get a permit. But permits are not required where i live. I dont even think there is a place to get a permit? I guess i could go to the county to get one, but because the town i live in has no code enforcement and is not covered under manditory county code not sure if you can get one?? Well im sure if i went into code office they would gladly take my money and give a permit. I guess they would still inspect it at that point as well, even though im in an area not requiring permits??

Good question?

/ I Won't Tell -- Do You Always Get a Required Permit? #64  
Have not read all the posts yet.

But no i dont get a permit. But permits are not required where i live. I dont even think there is a place to get a permit? I guess i could go to the county to get one, but because the town i live in has no code enforcement and is not covered under manditory county code not sure if you can get one?? Well im sure if i went into code office they would gladly take my money and give a permit. I guess they would still inspect it at that point as well, even though im in an area not requiring permits??

Good question?

/ I Won't Tell -- Do You Always Get a Required Permit? #65  
IMHO.. if everyone worried more about what was on their side of the fence.. EVERYTHING would be better.

I like the idea of doing what I want on my own land, and leaving others to the same. But that assumes folks are going to do it safely, and that should be the real backing reasons for codes (though we all know that some codes seem to be in place just for the revenue).

So, two points:
- #1 The assumption that someone is going to do it safely may be true even 95% of the time, but that one person in 20 who (contaminates everyone's well / Doesn't pay attention to wire gauge on all parts of electrical circuit / etc.) which can have fatal results is why the codes should exist. In other words, it's to make sure there is safety across the community. See point #2.
- #2 When there is a a natural disaster in the U.S. (earthquake, forest fire, flood, etc.), the number of fatalities is typically in the tens or hundred or so. In places like Mexico, Bangladesh, etc., it is typically in the multiple thousands. One great factor in this (not the only factor, but a big one), is the adherence to building codes.

My brother, Mom and I got a big laugh when visiting a hole-in-the-wall restaurant in earthquake-prone Mexico City years ago. We noted the spiderweb of gas and electrical lines right next to each other along each wall and near all the tables. A bad earthquake would have broken many of them and had the ignition source right next to the fuel... Really gives you some perspective.

As many others here, I find codes and such to really be a topic that goes beyond black-and-white answers (i.e. completely bad or completely good).
-Mitch

/ I Won't Tell -- Do You Always Get a Required Permit? #66  
Local builder just got fined over 120K for out buildings that he did not get permits for. So I do the risk/reward thing.

/ I Won't Tell -- Do You Always Get a Required Permit? #67  
I'm a subcontractor, and no, I don't always get the permit the state says I need. In my trade, their loose interpretation is that anything permanently attached to the structure requires a permit. My loose interpretation is that with a big enough hammer, everything is removable.

Someone mentioned a surcharge waiting for the inspector, I don't have that, but I do charge $100 extra in one town because their building department treats me like a felony puppy murderer whenever I walk into their office.

I recently finished a project with 2 buildings (2500 sq ft each), all new construction, all inspections passed. It was only after the final inspection was passed, that we learned no sub permit was pulled for my trade. I thought the GC did it, he thought I did it.

/ I Won't Tell -- Do You Always Get a Required Permit? #68  
where i live, the owner can pull all his own permits ( it'sa hassle ), and record himself as doing all the work.

if the work passes inspection.. it's good.

no law says you can't have other people over to help out. :)

like plumbers and electricians.. :)