ID a MF65

/ ID a MF65 #1  

Gary2000

Tractor
MF65 Case backhoe and others
Hi,

I have a MF65 that has no compression, like 185,155,215,180 per cylinder. So its no wonder that I need rings. Embarrassed to admit that I did everything else first before checking compression. Even cracked open the timing cover and set timing as I had put in a new (used) injector pump. So here is my problem I don't have a serial number for this tractor. The emblem is missing. The injectors are vertical to the head and the block has a #0280095X and the head # 280032W.

So I want to order the correct rings but am unsure which ones to use. Also how do I tell if it has chrome or cast sleeves? When I had the head off I was surprised that there was no ridge on the sleeves and it didn't show much visual wear. If I had to guess someone had this engine open before, it looks like whoever did it know the difference between a mic and a 20oz ball peen hammer. You know gasket tack and RTV used carefully and some wrench marks on the bolts.

We are done with harvest around here and I sold the cows so no milking. I would like to use this for snow and maybe the garden. I have big stuff for anything else. I don't really want to spend a bunch on this but the tractor salvage will only give me $250 if its all there and I have to haul it. So if I can hone it and stick in a set of rings so it will run I will be happy.

Any and all help will be appreciated.

Edited to add: There is a casting tag on the block that says "Biltchrome" So I guess it does have chrome sleeves. In the service manual it says to not ream or hone them they MUST be replaced. Oh well....

Last edited:
   / ID a MF65 #2  
Is the oil pan one piece, or does the oil pan have triangle looking piece in-front of the clutch housing. With the injectors vertical its indirect injection (should have the oil pan with the triangle looking piece mentioned earlier) then it's a 4.192 Perkins. If the injectors are at a angle (and a one piece oil pan) it the direct injected 4.203 Perkins. Bilchrome was a foundry, they cast engine blocks for Perkins & Massey-Ferguson. I would suggest you get a sleeve/piston/ring kit, you will be better off with all new parts there. The engine serial number should be a 7 digit number (no letters). This link should help you locate the engine serial number. http://www.advantageengineparts.com/pdfs/PerkinsEngineSerialNumbers.pdf

/ ID a MF65 #3  
If it has chrome sleeves the pistons will have plain cast rings as chrome sleeves and chrome rings can't be used together. It should be the A4-203 with the 3.6 inch bore. I'd take it down, remove the rings and put them back in the cylinder and check the gap, it will be really wide if they are worn badly. If the block came with chrome liners there will be a CL stamped on the block next to the serial # area. I've never seen the A4.192 with the 3.5 bore in the states, my MF history books show that's a UK engine. They also had diesel A4.212 in there 165s, but never had the AG4.212 gas like the states used