Ideas for bending cattle panels?

/ Ideas for bending cattle panels? #1  

jmc

Elite Member
Tractor
Ford 1920 4x4 (traded in on Kubota). Case 480F TLB w/4 in 1 bucket, 4x4. Gehl CTL60 tracked loader, Kubota L4330 GST
I'd like to bend two 52" X 16', unwieldy cattle panels into 'U' shapes like the attached sketch. Galvanized 4 gage, .225" wire.
Any ideas?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 929
   / Ideas for bending cattle panels? #2  
Do they need to retain this shape on their own?

If not, set some t posts in the shape you want and start attaching the panel to the posts with wire. You could put the posts inside the panel or outside, wouldn't matter.

If it does need to be free standing, I've had luck bending the panels one wire at a time using big pliers.

/ Ideas for bending cattle panels? #3  
Mine are all bent... Tree fell on garden and smashed them all.

If I had to do what you want to i would be looking for the proper size tree to bend them around

/ Ideas for bending cattle panels? #4  
I've done some bends by standing on the panel, near one end, and picking up that end. Then just hang on and walk backwards to the area that needs the bend. Change grips as needed. With a little practice, you can stomp in a pretty nice bend. An assistant is a big help.

/ Ideas for bending cattle panels? #6  
Two trees the right distance apart, fence against trees, one old bull against fence and one cow on the other side of fence.

Of course a vertical log instead of the bull and pull with the tractor might do it.

/ Ideas for bending cattle panels? #7  
Lay the panel on flat concrete, set a portion of your loader buckets cutting edge on the panel at the beginning of where the "U" shape should start, lift the panel trying to bend it some, preposition the bucket back a few inches and bend some again. Do this until you get the shape you want.

I made a sharp 90 degree bend it one of these panels for a dog fence like this. I needed a hammer for the sharp bend.

/ Ideas for bending cattle panels? #8  
I have made a few hog traps in shapes not unlike what you show with the ends on one side overlapping. All secured to T posts except for one inside panel, so they push against the panels all around trying to get to the bait until they find the one that lets them get in then snaps back towards the outside, trapping them.

You can actually secure the top of the one that moves inward letting them in so they can bend in the bottom to get in but cannot lift it up to get out.

Other than that the best way I have found to bend them is to try and keep them flat ;).

/ Ideas for bending cattle panels? #9  
we cut them to length with angle grinder than clip them togeather to form the shape. use them to pen up ewe's with new lambs for a day or 2

Greg

/ Ideas for bending cattle panels? #10  
Two trees the right distance apart, fence against trees, one old bull against fence and one cow on the other side of fence.

Of course a vertical log instead of the bull and pull with the tractor might do it.

You may can find a barrel or fuel tank, tree, rear tractor tire or such that you can use to bend the panel around.