ideas for clearing grown in trails

/ ideas for clearing grown in trails
That helicopter cutter idea seems simple enough. How about this, mount a circular saw blade on a 5/8" bolt, then put through a 5/8"flange bearing on the "cutter"bar attached to fel. Then a sprocket on a 5/8" weld on hub. Have several of these in a row on the bar and have a chain weaving around the sprockets so each blade is rotating opposite to the one next to it and then the chain is driven by a hydraulic motor.

/ ideas for clearing grown in trails #34  
Similar to the samarai, but probably cheaper, simpler, and work much better.....

Why not just build a hydraulic chainsaw bar like you see on firewood processors? You could have it whatever length you want, use standard saw chain, be unlimited in what you could cut, and just mount it in the bucket?

Seems simple enough.

(I've never done this, so I have no idea if it's actually doable or not :))

/ ideas for clearing grown in trails #35  
"If you're looking to accomplish the same type of thing let's put our collective brain power on it" -

Coyote, I wouldn't mind having the "telescoping" function, but I'm more headed toward being able to trim several hedges on my property lines (privacy - I hate gawkers and tend to shoot trespassers after losing over $6k in tools to meth heads a few years ago)

Anyway, I'm planning on a few different hookups for my Samurai, one would be two 10 foot long 2" square tube sections, each with its own cylinder that would give nearly 180 deg. swing - object being to be able to drive down ONE side of a hedge, first pass cuts near side, second pass cuts top, third pass cuts the FAR side (no room to drive back there)

First pass would be cut and (hopefully) as it's cut, fall into the brush bucket I built for the BH

DSCN0992.jpg

Since that pic was taken, I've "upgraded" the attachment points on the loader bucket

DSCN1144.jpg

And finally realized that several of the attachments I either WILL or HAVE made suffer from my lack of "X-ray vision) - so I'm now working on a QA system for brush bucket, brush forks, grapple, hydraulic driven 6' flail, Samurai, pallet forks, hot tub (kidding about the hot tub :laughing: - So anyway, I'm in the middle of a herky version of this

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...verboard-quick.html?highlight=QA+quick+attach

Back to the Samurai - one of its several positions will be at the leading edge of that brush bucket with the teeth pointed UP - come in low, raise the bucket and stuff falls in - bounce the bucket a few times to shift the pile away from the cutter, when that doesn't work anymore drive to the burn pile and dump - repeat as necessary. Top of hedge cuttings will get "combed" out with the forks - shown here in process, they're actually done

DSCN1010.jpg

but I'll need to change the mounts once I get the loader converted to QA.

There's a lot more, but this is already looking like a thread hi-jack (even tho I DID talk about the Samurai) :rolleyes:

As to the telescoping mount, I would figure out just how much movement you need first, then check out Surplus Center for any candidates - you shouldn't need more than about a 1-1/2" dia. cylinder with maybe a 3/4" rod, 'specially if you have access to some UHMW scraps to let your square tubing slide easy. I'd also put a flow restrictor on the cylinder, didja see in the video how quick the vineyard guy's unit moved when the throttle was up? :eek:

Well, gotta go for now, the newest toy won't give me any peace til it gets fondled a bit more before bed

DSCN1375.jpg

It'll get quite a bit of use bushing/boring 8 1-1/2" holes thru 1/2" plate for each implement I mentioned... Steve

/ ideas for clearing grown in trails #36  
I haven't read all 47 pages of replies so I'll blindly throw this out there. Why don't you wrap a small chain around them if they are only 3/4" diameter and pull them out of the ground? Then there's no stub to run over with a 4 wheeler of stumble over walking/jogging the trail. I bought some sort of "tree grabber" from Northern to do basically the same thing. Dang....I'm 6'1", 235 and better than average strong and there was no way I could open the jaws of this thing. The closing spring was a SOB. I had to replace the spring. Work will go 3-4 times faster if you have some one driving the 4 wheeler and some one manning the grabber. I've got a Suzuki Vinson 500 and I have successfully pulled up 3" gum trees in NW FL. Or attach it to your FEL or 3 point hitch. No maintenance, chain to sharpen or jump off and gas and oil can to tote around.

Good luck with what ever you decide(d) on.

CB

/ ideas for clearing grown in trails
the ground is clear, it is the branches that grow in from the trees that are outside the trail

/ ideas for clearing grown in trails #38  
I mostly walk my trails, mowing with the tractor only once or so per year. Most of the time, I lop off overhanging/encroaching branches with extension-handle bypass loppers (like these: Premium Grade Pruning Loppers: Professional Pruning Loppers, Tree Loppers) as I walk. Sometimes I will just bend saplings back into the other brush and wedge them there, rather than cutting them. I occasionally will haul out the brush cutter and hack off trail invaders at ground level, or bring out the tractor with tooth bar or grapple rake to really rip things up...but most of the time, I clear invading foliage along my trails by hand.
Bob

/ ideas for clearing grown in trails #39  
Here is my two cents. The Samurai is a good idea for 1/2 in. or smaller twigs, anything bigger would probably damage the knives. After looking at the Samurai, I built one by using a 4 ft Walk-behind Gravely sickle bar. It uses basically the same hydraulic HP. The Samurai is a nice little machine but little bit overpriced for my once or twice yearly use. Also, it will not cut stuff bigger than 1/2 in.
I am planning to make another attachment, with the same concept, using either a small lawnmower deck or a standard saw blade. I do know yet, I am still playing with the idea.
Here are pics of my attachment, the only difference is that now I install the bar to the bucket. It is a simpler move without dismounting the bucket.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    680.3 KB · Views: 287
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    909.2 KB · Views: 329
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    303.7 KB · Views: 344
   / ideas for clearing grown in trails #40  
Here is my two cents. The Samurai is a good idea for 1/2 in. or smaller twigs, anything bigger would probably damage the knives. After looking at the Samurai, I built one by using a 4 ft Walk-behind Gravely sickle bar. It uses basically the same hydraulic HP. The Samurai is a nice little machine but little bit overpriced for my once or twice yearly use. Also, it will not cut stuff bigger than 1/2 in.
I am planning to make another attachment, with the same concept, using either a small lawnmower deck or a standard saw blade. I do know yet, I am still playing with the idea.
Here are pics of my attachment, the only difference is that now I install the bar to the bucket. It is a simpler move without dismounting the bucket.

That's inaccurate info on the Samurai. It cuts up to 1 1/2" NOT to 1/2". See the details on their website,Cutthat.com | Sabre Samurai