Ideas for service ramp

/ Ideas for service ramp #11  
The FEL is certainly a quick and easy way to lift the fronts.

Which leads me to a product idea: a lever that mounts on the 3PT arms and extends under the rear end and forward. When you lift the 3PT, the front of the lever goes to the ground and then starts lifting the rears.

/ Ideas for service ramp #12  
Not really sure why "Pits" fell out of favor for working under equipment. You could work standing up and could accomplish just about any maintenance project under a vehicle. It never crossed my mind either to install a pit.

I think that a 12" high ramp and platform constructed of sturdy timbers would last the rest of my lifetime and could be used with all our vehicles. Cheap and sturdy.

/ Ideas for service ramp #13  
I was just going to post "Dig a trench". Heck, he has a tractor, won't be hard.

/ Ideas for service ramp #14  
Back in the early 70s, all the military bases had areas that the service members could rent tools and work on their own vehicles. They provided sturdy steel ramps and platforms at varied heights. Much appreciated when that monthly paycheck was only $188.

/ Ideas for service ramp #16  
Pits fell out of favor when it became apparent they can trap dangerous fumes and even cause affixation.
Good call on that. Never crossed my mind.

/ Ideas for service ramp #17  
Regarding 'pits', the house I grew up in had one in the garage - in the center of a concrete floor - covered by thick planks resting on a perimeter lip. One side had a 'step down' bench. Fine for one person but quite crowded for two. The house was built in 1916. Once my brothers and I were driving and could afford old cars that pit got some use. Friends would also ask to use it. It was great to be able to stand up, use a trouble-light and work under the car. Sure did beat laying on your back and trying to do things.

I suppose if you could dedicate a space for it, you could build a couple of concrete ramps - ramping up to a level area on top - lots of rebar and sufficiently wide - to raise it up a foot or so. That would be kind of nice but I think you would only want to do that if you needed it more than occasionally. If the width fit was correct it could be used for other vehicles.

Last edited: