Identify JD mower

/ Identify JD mower #1  

milkman

Elite Member
Ky. Between Dead Horse Holler and Yellowbank
Tractor
BX2200, BCS 735
This old mower has been setting in the weeds for at least 12 yrs. Got it out and freed up and was mowing under some fence and a lot that hadn't been mowed in a long time, hit a metal fence post hidden in the weeds and broke the pitman. I think this is a No. 5 mower, would like to know for sure, and need to know if the nut that holds the pitman to the flywheel is right or left hand threads. It's amazing that this thing cuts at all with all the rust. Sure am anxious to get it going again. Here's a couple of pics, maybe Ken or someone can ID this thing.

Attachments

• 678793-Mowr2 (Small).JPG
    678793-Mowr2 (Small).JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 416
   / Identify JD mower #3  
Everything I've seen (using that gearbox number of Z1051-H+) points me to believe you're correct (that it's a #5 mower).

/ Identify JD mower #4  
No 5. JD made a billion-kajillion of them. My brother has one on an H and two more sitting out behind the chicken house. You can still walk up to the parts counter and get pretty much anything for it. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Identify JD mower
Thanks BC and GR, do you know about the threads on the flywheel nut? Billion-kjillion, that sure is a lot. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Identify JD mower #6  
Sorry, can't help you with the nut.

/ Identify JD mower #7  
I just picked up a #5 sickle bar mower myself. Mine appears to also have an added top link. I haven't tried it out yet. How long is the cutter bar? Mine is currently 5' but I also have 7' bar for it. How's it work with the BX?

/ Identify JD mower
The sickle is 7', and the BX does fine so far, although I haven't had it in any thick hay yet, that might pull it sideways, a neithbor had a belly mount sickle on his H JD and in heavy hay, he would have to hold the left brake till he got through the thick stuff.
I just called the dealer and the pitman alone, just the wood part that is 34" long costs $34, I'll find one somewhere else or make my own, bet it ain't even painted green.
I got the nut off the flywheel end, it is right handed thread, I just had to put a small spot of weld on the end with the head to keep it from turning.
Good luck with yours, I haven't figured a way to lift the sickle with the TPH yet, but I have a few ideas cooking, I think I can use a cable and pully set up as soon as I figure it out.

/ Identify JD mower
Just reread your post and noticed the part about the top link mount, I may try that, althought I know I'd have to have the loader on to counter balance that much weight.

/ Identify JD mower #10  
I don't know without looking at it. I do know it's 7' and the little H runs it fine. I think the H is only like 9 or 12 HP, I can't remember without looking it up. There is a lift cyllinder that should go on it to raise the knife. If you had remotes, you could use that. You can also reach behid and pull it up manually, but it can be heavy.