Identifying an MF40 industrial loader

/ Identifying an MF40 industrial loader #1  

Vicko

Tractor
MF40
Hi,

Bit of a newbie from Australia here. Got a great little petrol kero grey TE20, but am looking at something a bit bigger for track and scrub work.

Looking at what was suposed to be an MF60 but I think its an MF40, wondering if anyone can confirm by the serial number on the dashplate.
Serial is AL 832691. Theres also a number cast on the side of the gearbox by the right footwell is 962725M1 With maybe an F below it. Then what looks like 21FM upside down.
It has a 3 cyl diesel and mechanically looks good other than a crook power steering setup. It doesn't appear to be a reservoir on the pump anymore and the pump seems pressurised and leaks. Turns right ok when fluid is in it, but not left. The steering wheel moves up and down when turned like maybe the bearing has shot.

Need to confirm what model it is and how hard it might be to get part for it.

Thanks all!

Last edited:
   / Identifying an MF40 industrial loader #2  
:welcome:
To the TBN forum Vicko. Glsg you joined and you came to the right place to get any question answered.

/ Identifying an MF40 industrial loader
More info - think I also have the engine number. Under the manifold on the left hand side. It appears to be 2376700.

Image uploaded from iOS (13).pngImage uploaded from iOS (5).pngImage uploaded from iOS (6).pngImage uploaded from iOS (7).pngImage uploaded from iOS (9).pngImage uploaded from iOS (10).pngImage uploaded from iOS (11).pngImage uploaded from iOS (12).pngImage uploaded from iOS (4).png

Attachments

• Image uploaded from iOS (8).png
    Image uploaded from iOS (8).png
    753.1 KB · Views: 340
Last edited:
OK - So it's a 205mkII!
I didn't even know they were a thing until a few minutes ago... so I didnt recognise the barely legible numbers at the bottom of the serial tag.

So who knows about 205s?
What are they worth? Are they any good? How do they compare to mf40s?
Can you still get parts for these things?

/ Identifying an MF40 industrial loader #6  
Looks extremely similar to my MF40 - I paid $2500 about 5 years ago, but had to recondition the engine due to a spun con-rod bearing. That cost another $1000 plus a few days work, but it sorted out a lot of engine-related leaks etc, and it's back to as-new condition now.
Compared to my 135, it's a much heavier tractor, good for pulling a lot more, but with the same engine and gearbox but larger diameter rear tyres needs the low range gears a lot more. I can see 3PT controls, if it also has PTO, you'll have a really strong and useful tractor, you'll be glad you bought it.
Parts are still readily available - Sparex, Bepco and several other companies manufacture reasonably good quality and really well-priced non-gen parts. Also second-hand is a good bet for major assemblies - a lot are common to many models.
Sort out the power steering issue - I have to reseal everything there yet too. It isn't rocket science - the most difficult part I'm told is removing the steering wheel. Loosen the acorn nut and soak the tapered spline with diesel, CRC or similar for SEVERAL days. Then use a substantial puller - here's how I removed a couple:
DSC01255.jpg DSC01249.jpg

First thing I did was make a grille to protect the radiator - yours needs one too.

When purchased: :eek:
DSC00313.jpg

Working; :)
Taking a break.jpg Double duty.jpg

Here's a better view of grille pieces ... and headlamps: :thumbsup:
DSC02399.jpg

Good luck! :drink:

Brilliant! Thanks Patrick.
I haven't seen any MF40s going for that money lately - more like 7 or 8 for decent ones.
This one does have a working PTO - but I'm unlikely to use it for that to be honest as the little TE20 does all I need there which is just a bit of slashing.

Very jealous of the little Drott in the background of one of those shots too..

/ Identifying an MF40 industrial loader #8  
Yes, that's the best option - to keep the TEA as well. It's a lighter and more nimble tractor, and more appropriate for those jobs. There's no sense in using a mallet to swat a fly! :laughing: The industrials - especially if there's a backhoe with that loader - are worth good money if they've been maintained and kept reliable. That's because they're tough, capable and reliable. :thumbsup: I used my loader and 135 quite a bit building another dam here, but the drott you referred to was borrowed to help with the job. It's only about 60HP and around 5 tons, but so very good for the heavier digging, as well as for tramping down the soil and clay to form a reliable wall.

Here are some more progress pics - ground was drier and harder than you could imagine:

Just started.jpgAdded weight for ripper.jpgInstalling overflow pipes.jpgOverflow exit.jpgWorking on outer wall 10.JPG3 Weeks Later (2).jpgDSC02513.jpg

During the heavy rain and flood last Easter it filled from empty to within 4" of overflowing in less than 48 hours ..... I was quite nervous about it filling so full so quickly :eek: Now it's empty again (2 weeks ago) and we're pumping from the other dam. ;) Rain is forecast though :cool:

/ Identifying an MF40 industrial loader #9  
I love my 205!
Mines also has a locking diff. Which has come in handy a lot clearing palmetto brush from my property.
They are actually half mf35 and half 165/175.