Identifying Oxygen/Acetylene Tanks

/ Identifying Oxygen/Acetylene Tanks #21  
Not sure if the oxygen cylinders could be sold or not. The acetylene are B(Presto-lite) tanks that are generally purchased by plumbers. I highly doubt anyone would fill the rusty BOC cylinder. You also need caps for the oxygen cylinders but find out if they were available to be sold back in the day. If they weren't, they are useless to you.

/ Identifying Oxygen/Acetylene Tanks
Well, yesterday, I decided to hook up the tanks and see if they wherr 100% empty. Plenty of Oxy after something like 18 years of sitting. Acetylene also was at least partially filled.

Now the bad, when I opened the small square nut on acetylene tank, a small ammount of fuel gas leaked out (saw dust move and smelled it) but when fully open no leak. The Oxy regulator also was hissing, so I think it was leaking from regulator, but I was getting oxy to torch, had nice bright white flame.

Sunday I found in scrap pile at in laws a brand new acetylene regulator, so I grabbed it too.

So I have a B tank and I want to use a BBQ tank, so I need a 510 to 520 adapter?

/ Identifying Oxygen/Acetylene Tanks #23  
If the tank has a +, It's only good for 5 years between tests. If it has a + Star, It's 10 yrs between tests. Old regs are very dangerous. The diaphragms inside could be rubber and are likely cracked due to ozone and could leak violently at any moment. If they have sat around more than 10 years, I would be leary of lighting a torch off them. Really shouldn't open the Acetylene all the way open. All safety training says to crack 1/2 turn only to be able to shut down quickly if there is a proble. Oxy can be opened all the way up..Good Luck.

/ Identifying Oxygen/Acetylene Tanks #24  
It's not a good idea to open an acetylene bottle all the way! 1/4-turn is the safest.

Did your flame look something like this?

Attachments

• neutral flame.jpg
    neutral flame.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 249
  • Cutting cone.jpg
    Cutting cone.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 177
   / Identifying Oxygen/Acetylene Tanks #25  
You should really read up on oxy/acet. safety and set up before you start experimenting with the equipment, especially stuff that has been sitting around for a long time.

/ Identifying Oxygen/Acetylene Tanks #26  
^^^^ What he said. Oxygen and acetylene can be very dangerous (as in explosive) if not handled properly. Old hoses, tanks, regulators are a very high risk.

/ Identifying Oxygen/Acetylene Tanks
I get what y'all are saying about safety, but the oxy tanks are structurally sound.

I plan to switch to propane when I round up a cheap adapter.

Hoses didn't leak, but I've started pricing new ones. I have seen often (but don't plan on it myself) just "half inching" the hoses at any leaks (half an inch of electric tape lol).

If the oxy regulator is bad, I'm pretty much SOL, there not DIY rebuildable are they. Cheapest new are ~$50 at HF.

Sunday I found 1 acetylene cap, and 2 oxy caps in scrap pile.

/ Identifying Oxygen/Acetylene Tanks #28  
"I get what y'all are saying about safety, but the oxy tanks are structurally sound."

The only way to tell if the cylinders are structurally sound is to have them hydro-tested. Oxygen cylinders hold 2200 PSI. That's close to what hyd. systems run. Ever seen an air hose let go at 100 PSI? Now imagine 22 times more pressure letting go? I have never seen anyone tape up leaks on O/A hoses. I've seen some old hoses with lots of repair splicers. Opening the acetylene more than 1 1/2 turns is a big no no! I would not rebuild my own regulators and I also wouldn't buy regulators at HF. A torch set will last a lifetime if taken care off. Some even have a lifetime warranty. Why buy the cheapest thing you can find? You should read up on O/A safety and not just get it but understand that it can kill you if something goes wrong.

/ Identifying Oxygen/Acetylene Tanks #29  
We use Victor for Medical Gas at the Hospital and when a Doctor tightened the regulator in tight it ruptured the diaphragm.

Victor charge me $20 to repair while I waited...

Lucky, the factory was only 20 minutes away.

/ Identifying Oxygen/Acetylene Tanks #30  
"I get what y'all are saying about safety, but the oxy tanks are structurally sound."

The only way to tell if the cylinders are structurally sound is to have them hydro-tested. Oxygen cylinders hold 2200 PSI. That's close to what hyd. systems run. Ever seen an air hose let go at 100 PSI? Now imagine 22 times more pressure letting go? I have never seen anyone tape up leaks on O/A hoses. I've seen some old hoses with lots of repair splicers. Opening the acetylene more than 1 1/2 turns is a big no no! I would not rebuild my own regulators and I also wouldn't buy regulators at HF. A torch set will last a lifetime if taken care off. Some even have a lifetime warranty. Why buy the cheapest thing you can find? You should read up on O/A safety and not just get it but understand that it can kill you if something goes wrong.

I agree. My Purox set was $379, is made in the USA, and has a lifetime warranty. I would never mess with regs and hoses that old, and as far as the oxy cylinders are concerned, get them hydro'd to be sure. It may cost you up front, but it's better than hospital bills and property damage that could occur otherwise...take a look on youtube for some interesting explosions from these products...it WILL make you think twice about using substandard equipment for sure. This is an expensive area for the hobbyist to be in, and if you either don't have the will or the ability to pay for good stuff, it can definitely bite you.

Sent from my LGL35G using TractorByNet