Idle or Off

/ Idle or Off #21  
If I need to talk to the boss lady I shut it off, otherwise I just can't hear her. If I am around one of the guys, I usually idle (1,000 rpm) for up to 10 minutes. I like diesels hence the name above.

steve

/ Idle or Off #22  
Idling for 5 to 10 minutes every now and then isn't going to cause any problems. Extended idling lets the cylinder temperatures drop below operating temperatures which causes wet stacking which in turn can cause a lot of other problems.

1. Condensation of exhaust vapor in the exhaust stack and manifold cause exhaust system corrosion and valve damage
2. Fouled injectors and valves caused by excessive soot produced by incomplete combustion of fuel.
3. Improper seating of piston rings causing excessive oil consumption with shortened ring and piston life.
4. Degraded oil as a by-product from incomplete combustion.
5. Excessive buildup of carbon in the exhaust system.

/ Idle or Off #23  
MSU_Keith,

What is the meaning of the word idle? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If you mean to let the engine run at very low RPMs for a long time that is badness for the engine. Most of the time I run my tractor at about 1700 RPMs give or take. Mowing at PTO speed I only do a dozen or so hours a year. If I need to get off the tractor for awhile I just let it run especially if it is cold out.

If things go as planned this weekend I'll be cutting logs into rounds for firewood. I'll use the tractor to carry a log to my chainsaw bench, get on my chainsaw gear, saw up the log, get back on the tractor and repeat until the saw runs out of gas. I won't turn the tractor off at all. Yes its burning fuel but the tractor is made to run. And its not ideling....

Later,
Dan

/ Idle or Off #24  
I regularly get off my tractor with the engine idleing.

Depending on the expected time out of the seat I'll bring it down to idle (±5min) or leave it at higher RPM's (<5min).

My 33D has to be in nuetral and park brake set in order to dismount and if I'm sitting on an incline I'll drop the bucket and whatever implement is attached.