If Deere made the 318 would you buy?

/ If Deere made the 318 would you buy?
One main difference in the old 400's like the 420 Onan and the 430 Yanmar was that they had a 2 speed transmission. I love it. Have driven a few and they are slick. A little larger than say a 455 Yanmar diesel. I wanted to buy the 430 we have on the lot but it is in too rough of shape. To go through the motor is would cost upwards of 1 grand. I like the 318 as it is well build and parts are still easy to find. I know when I look up a part at home then go into work to buy it the part may have been replaced by another part but is usually the same.

I can't wait to tear into my 318's motor and get it running as good as new. It's a slick machine. I for one like hand hydros like my 318 and our 320.

/ If Deere made the 318 would you buy? #42  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( No, I would not. Life is all about moving forward. "Those obsessed with the past are destined to repeat it." )</font>

Then you are obviously unfamiliar with the 318. Dual hydraulic remotes, optional FEL, front blade, standard power steering, optional 3 pt hitch and rear PTO. It was the X series of the 80's before the current X series came along.

/ If Deere made the 318 would you buy? #43  
Does anyone know how much the optional FEL for the 318 would have cost to purchase new back in the early 90's?

/ If Deere made the 318 would you buy? #44  
I don't know how much they cost back in the 80's but there is someone on ebay with one and I think they are wanting $2100. Ouch!

/ If Deere made the 318 would you buy? #45  
Read this entire thread, and seems the X series of today is the answer to the question, given that the '318' new would not be priced at it's original level. (there are several cars I would buy in a heartbeat if I could buy them new at the price I paid for them).
The X series may be a larger footprint, but will take a larger deck (62") and can be bought with 4wd. Seems the answer to me, and I don't mean to take away from the excitement of the 318's. I never owned one (had the 212 through those years) but think they were a good tractor.
Yellowsocks seems to have answered his original question, by changing to the 316 in a pinch. But lots of good information came out in the meantime. A lot of money can be poured into fixing up the older, worn out GT's that can be fun, and entertaining. Still hard to justify if just for 'work', IMO.

/ If Deere made the 318 would you buy? #46  
beenthere - I have to agree. In all of this discussion I went back and re-read the X-series info. I have looked these over and driven them at the dealer - very nice machines.

If I ever have to replace my 318 completely - an X465 wouldn't be that hard to take. (Yeah, I know the advantages of the water-cooled bigger brothers, and the diesels at the high end - but the price starts jumping up a lot). They're nice machines and I think an X465 is a legitimate heir to the 318 in toughness and range of duties, since no one builds the equivalent of an "X300" size tractor.

But I think I'll try to keep my 318 going another decade or two! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ If Deere made the 318 would you buy?
No, I actually bought the 318! Did not get the one at my work but a little better one from our arch rival. I've got a ton of new parts for it already hope to get the underside of the fender deck coated with spray on bed lining and I will rebuild the motor as soon as the tech manual gets here.

I for one hate change. That's why I bought a new 990 before that style goes away for good. Never goin to sell the 970 either! For some reason I like stuff from the 80's: Cars, tractors, combines, music and everything else. Maybe it's cause I was born in the 80's and the little time as a kid I spent in the 80's was great. Got my first go kart in the 80's! A replica of the Mazda race truck! I would love to go back and live life in the 80's. If you have ever driven tractors(ag) or combines from the 80's they are cool driving in my opinion. Not to mention the best garden tractor of all time the 318 was born in 83. I shall keep mine forever.

/ If Deere made the 318 would you buy? #48  
The only gripe I actually had about my 318 was the lack of traction, if it had 4wd it would have been able to use the horsepower it produced in slippery conditions. Mine had a 54 inch front blade, it always ran out of traction pushing heavy snow or grading dirt. I loaded the rear tires, had chains and 100 lbs. of wheel weights, 200 lbs. of barbell weights hanging off the rear end, and many times I would get stuck because only one rear wheel was driving a total machine/operator weight of 3/4 ton. All the weight was on the front end and my ATV weighed half as much but would plow circles around the JD because of the 4wd. Too bad Deere didn't offer the 420's diff lock on the 318.

/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ If Deere made the 318 would you buy? #49  
A quick note to all you 318 admirers. There is a JD 318 for sale here in CT at Ganos Power Equipment in Colchester. It looks pretty solid - I saw it while driving by yesterday.
Ganos

/ If Deere made the 318 would you buy? #50  
Steve, are you sure that it is a 318? In a quick satellite cam scan of their sales lot it looks like a 316.
Thanks, Ken /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif