If I was a barn builder

/ If I was a barn builder
I was going to let this thread die because I wasn't getting the feed back desired. Not that I can't handle the truth but because I can't seem to fathom to see what the posters are talking about.

When I was in high school my step dad was a prominent home builder. At the time I thought that would be a career I wanted to go into. During the school year and especially the summer, I would schedule subs, get take offs delivered and schedule drops, mitigate any issues that arose. Pretty much a building superintendent for a few months a year than work with trades on weekends. These were $500k+ homes. When the home was complete, a walk thru was conducted and punch list complied. I oversaw the completion. I would carry 3-4 homes at a time. My job title was asst superintendent. This was for over 2 years. Before I could drive I would sweep out the homes at all stages and get any hands on while the trades were working.

Does this make me qualified for being a custom home builder? Absolutely not. Should I be able to handle getting a dirt pad built? Yes, but because I have cleared hundreds of acres and built many pads. Should I be able to meet with a client and discuss what they want in a pole barn? I certainly hope so, but this is pretty much common sense. What about sending the specs to get a material take off? Yeah, I think I can handle that with the lumber yard and metal house. I've always been told I have a pretty good feel for good people. So far I haven't been burned. I have met an excellent pole barn installer that is hungry and wants to work for an organization that will compensate fairly, and give him the tools he needs to be successful (tractor driver post hole auger, telescopic lift etc) and operate safely and effiecntly. I have also made a contact for concrete that again is hungry and does excellent work for a fair price. These building aren't rocket science. They should be completed from breaking ground to punch list in two weeks or less. Ideally a week.

All these post saying I need to have 250-400k liquid on hand to cover costs obviously isn't listening to what my goals are. I would be happy to build 1 shop a week. 4 a month. A 30x30x10 can be installed in a day. Worst case 2 with concrete the next. Easily a week long project max. With a payment schedule in place that helps minimize risk, I don't see what's the worst I'm out.

Again, thanks for many of these replies even if there isn't a single one that has been supportive. I was mainly hoping for replies in lines of what a customer would like to see not necessarily a I won't respect you because you haven't swung a hammer for 2 years or your going to loose everything on this venture.

There's a lot of business that are started by the guy that works from the bottom up, gets tired of being the low guy on the pay scale. While he might be the best and most knowledge at the manual side of the business, when it comes to customer service and the administrator side of the business they flounder. We all have strengths and weaknesses. I have run successful businesses but my services were the product and I was the only employee. If this comes to fruition, I will surround myself with someone that will compliment my weaknesses and allow me to utilize my strengths.

Brett

The home builder mentioned earlier is extremely successful, award winning and past president of the local building assoc. never had any issues with the buyer as they felt they were getting special treatment with the bosses kid and issues were always handled quickly. As far as I know, I was never thought of as the spoiled kid with a handout. I've always worked and had rough hands and brown neck

/ If I was a barn builder #22  
Your last reply adds a lot to the equation. Your original post read like you were a fireman and hired a barn built, didn't like the way it was performed and thought you would start a barn building business. There was no explanation at all about your background and experiences. For all we knew you did not know anything about it or have experience in that area at all. Your past experience with your step dad and growing up around home building changes things. You likely do have good experience that would be beneficial in building barns, especially managing it and subbing out the work.

I certainly don't think you need 250k to get started my concerns were just about you entering a world you knew nothing about.

As to what customers want it it is what they always want - the best product for the cheapest price. Around here there are huge differences in metal building prices. There are people doing what you want to do I presume that manage the thing and sub everything out. They are expensive. Then there are small independent guys who do all the work themselves that are much cheaper. For example on my 25x50 I paid to have skinned a couple weeks ago I called three general contractor types that specialized in metal buildings and there prices were all very close. I found an independent guy who did the work himself and it was just a little more than half what the other bids were and they did an excellent job and did it quick. No middle man and no markup.

I am sure you will find some customers but a metal building isn't really the type of thing that requires a general contractor. An individual can easily hire the concrete done and then hire the erection crew and save a lot vs having someone oversee it all for a hefty profit.

/ If I was a barn builder #23  
My old dad always told me " If it were that easy, everbody would be doing it!"

JMHO

Your last reply adds a lot to the equation. Your original post read like you were a fireman and hired a barn built, didn't like the way it was performed and thought you would start a barn building business. There was no explanation at all about your background and experiences. For all we knew you did not know anything about it or have experience in that area at all. Your past experience with your step dad and growing up around home building changes things. You likely do have good experience that would be beneficial in building barns, especially managing it and subbing out the work.

I certainly don't think you need 250k to get started my concerns were just about you entering a world you knew nothing about.

As to what customers want it it is what they always want - the best product for the cheapest price. Around here there are huge differences in metal building prices. There are people doing what you want to do I presume that manage the thing and sub everything out. They are expensive. Then there are small independent guys who do all the work themselves that are much cheaper. For example on my 25x50 I paid to have skinned a couple weeks ago I called three general contractor types that specialized in metal buildings and there prices were all very close. I found an independent guy who did the work himself and it was just a little more than half what the other bids were and they did an excellent job and did it quick. No middle man and no markup.

I am sure you will find some customers but a metal building isn't really the type of thing that requires a general contractor. An individual can easily hire the concrete done and then hire the erection crew and save a lot vs having someone oversee it all for a hefty profit.

My experience is much like you mentioned on finding hired hands. My original plan was to build a 30x50 myself and sub out the metal to a local crew. I got with mueller and they sent me a list of their contractors. I called them and they were all in the 5-7k range to hang the metal. That was astronomical. It's often hard to find local barn builders or I would've done that myself. Anyone I called wanted a premium. Since I paid cash, I had the freedom of who to use. Like I mentioned, the local outfits all wanted 20k or more for what I built. That was way to high for what the building was. Now that I have the contractors that want work, I can find people that want barns. Since I have a personal investment from the customer stand point, I think I would be able to relate and give my experience. I wouldn't run down my competitors but would show the benefits of going with me. My original builder made it pretty clear that they didn't want to come out this way unless it was for several building due to it being 6.5 hrs from home. I would not have much competition in my price point.

Brett

/ If I was a barn builder #25  
You the expert ... why ask just do it.

You the expert ... why ask just do it.

If you would've read even the first post you'd see I was asking for input on what a customer would want. Maybe aprons at every door included or color options for doors. I know what I would want since as you said, I'm the expert but I was hoping for some input from the masses.

Brett

/ If I was a barn builder #27  
If you can work a year, pay material and labor out of pocket without collecting large deposits and draws on incomplete jobs (your money is after expenses) and put ALL of your profits back into the business, survive off what the wife makes, run your jobs from the Fire Department without a trusted employee (eyes on site), pay taxes on those profits (can't use anything as a tax deduction unless making a profit) and do this for several years- You might make it work.

Been Contracting for 25 years, seen many a good man lose everything trying to contract full time part time with no skin in the game.

:drink:

/ If I was a barn builder #28  
My experience is much like you mentioned on finding hired hands. My original plan was to build a 30x50 myself and sub out the metal to a local crew. I got with mueller and they sent me a list of their contractors. I called them and they were all in the 5-7k range to hang the metal. That was astronomical. It's often hard to find local barn builders or I would've done that myself. Anyone I called wanted a premium. Since I paid cash, I had the freedom of who to use. Like I mentioned, the local outfits all wanted 20k or more for what I built. That was way to high for what the building was. Now that I have the contractors that want work, I can find people that want barns. Since I have a personal investment from the customer stand point, I think I would be able to relate and give my experience. I wouldn't run down my competitors but would show the benefits of going with me. My original builder made it pretty clear that they didn't want to come out this way unless it was for several building due to it being 6.5 hrs from home. I would not have much competition in my price point.

Brett

Go for it. With your attitude you might just make it. We all had to step out there sometime. Better to be in the Arena, than watching from the sidelines...

/ If I was a barn builder #29  
if you think its so easy to do , then why did you hire somebody to build yours ? as for suggests all buildings and customers are different. from cheap as can be to make it nice.

/ If I was a barn builder #30  
On my 25x50 I did the concrete and Welded up all the I-beam and purlin. The contractor I hired supplied all the tin, trim, screws and labor to skin it and did it for $3,950 including materials.