If you did it again, what would you change?

/ If you did it again, what would you change? #1  

hazmat

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L5460HSTC
Looks like I get to tractor shop again - Ma & Pa are looking to put me out of the field mowing business. They want their own tractor. I'm "consulting" on the purchase - ie explaining what this lever does & that one etc. We were checking machines out at the fryberg fair. Pops likes the "Class 2" size - even though there wasn't a Class 2 New Holland or Case there - had to compare via JD & Kubota.

So - looks like I get to "do it again".

What would you have done differently?

Here's my wish list

3+ range tranny - low is too slow, hi is too fast.
suspension seat
quick attach bucket - not sure if it's worth it on the smaller machines
quick hitch - might not need it with the telescoping lift arms...
front weights - loose the loader for field mowing

Am I missing anything?

/ If you did it again, what would you change? #2  
quick attach loader, though TC24 is too small for Skid steer model.
Remote.

/ If you did it again, what would you change? #3  
<font color="blue"> quick attach bucket - not sure if it's worth it on the smaller machines </font>
Hazmat
I have almost as many attachments for my FEL as 3PH.
I'm not sure your Dad will need quick attach unless more than one FEL attachment is purchased.
Purchasing the quick attach will allow Skid Steer attachments to be rented.
Checking the NH spec's you will have to move up to a 35 to get quick attach bucket on a NH loader.

/ If you did it again, what would you change? #4  
ATI has a Pin type quick change. A local dealer quoted me $270 plus shipping. After taking my loader off once, I think I would much rather dump the bucket and drive with the loader on. I haven't bought it yet, gonna make some more calls.

/ If you did it again, what would you change? #5  
I would second the three range tranny and probably look at a shuttle shift or hydro ( I have a lot of tight places to get into when mowing) and add some more HP as well. I would get off the R1s and go to R4s or maybe even turfs if I didn't have a lot of dirt work to do. Think about a sun shade on the ROPS and buy or build a beverage holder /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif.

/ If you did it again, what would you change? #6  
Having a rear remote for a hydraulic top link is nice especially when using a box blade.

/ If you did it again, what would you change? #7  
I would have let the dealer add front hydraulics and a grapple to my package. But it can still be done fairly easy.....

/ If you did it again, what would you change? #8  
The 14LA FEL is available with a quick hitch option for about $275 dealer cost.

/ If you did it again, what would you change? #9  
Hazmat;
I have a TC 45D with a hyrdo and I wouldn't change a thing. I am a horse power freak and any less would be a disaster. I like having the weight, hydraulics, horse power, and wide tire traction to get the job done. The tractor has a small size frame to ease tight spots, yet stable in slope situations. It has great visibility of the low hood and the 16 LA loader positions the load ahead of the unit, not over the hood in the raised position like some others. New Holland did their homework well on this model and it suits me just fine.

/ If you did it again, what would you change? #10  
I would have bought 2 tractors! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif