If you have forgotten what older trucks were like

/ If you have forgotten what older trucks were like #41  
   / If you have forgotten what older trucks were like #42  
I personally have no interest in towing with a mid-size truck platform. The problem is not the power as many new mid-size platforms have impressive power, but it the difficulty in seeing behind the trailer you are pulling if the tailer has any width or height to it. Had a small apache all fiberglass pop up camper that an S10 4 cylinder 5 speed could handle pulling (i owned a 1990 S10 with a 4cyl as well as a 1986 with a 2.8 V6) but could not see behind the trailer even with mirror extensions. Camper behind a Dakato mid-size truck (truck not mine) and still could not see worth a hoot behind the trailer.

/ If you have forgotten what older trucks were like #43  
Am I the only one thinking a 1985 truck isn't that old? I'm either insulted or am just coming to the realization I'm the old one! Haha
I learned to drive in a 3 on the column F100 inline six. There were plenty Chevrolet C-10's, Studebaker, and International pickups around too. My current F150 has been great but I loved my 1985 Scottsdale 2500 too. I'm a fan of my 4 wheel disk brakes but not much of an antilock fan. I always had a positrac rearend until this truck and I do miss that. At times I even wish it were 4WD but not that often.

/ If you have forgotten what older trucks were like #44  
My first pickup was a '52 Willys 4x4 pickup. What a piece of junk compared to the '73 Chevy pickup I traded it in on. If I had the money to spare I'd buy a new one just for the heck of it.

/ If you have forgotten what older trucks were like #45  
What a great video! 2 clowns that could not even get the trailer wiring working!
As for the handling, with that stupid dog-leg hitch they probably had excessive tongue weight taking weight off of the front end too.
Having owned a half dozen 305's they were a total dog.
When I bought a new 1979 Chevy Van, by the window stickers the 350 had better mileage estimates.
I used to tow a 6500lb boat to the Fl Keys fishing and diving with the 1979 1/2 ton van with 350 and 373 rear end. It was about 1000 miles round trip.
I ran at highway speeds with no problems and I had no brakes on the trailer.

/ If you have forgotten what older trucks were like #49  
Thinking about it.... I have a 1985 Chevy 1/2 ton Custom Deluxe 4x4 sitting in my back yard for the past 14(maybe longer) years! I forgot all about that. Bet my wife hasn't! :laughing:

Anyhow, its got a 350 in it with California emissions and a 700R4 automatic transmission (non-electronic with overdrive). Its got manual locking hubs and a (I think) New Process 205 transfer case. All this was stock. 8' bed. Single bench seat in the cab. Served me well for many, many years. We stopped driving it due to rusted body and 2nd child... we all couldn't fit in it. I'm saving the motor, tranny and transfer case for a project.

Here's some more info as to what was available on the "third gen" 1973-1987 chevy pickups... (stolen from Wikipedia, of course).

Also called Chevrolet Scottsdale
Chevrolet Custom Deluxe
Chevrolet Silverado
GMC Sierra
GMC Sierra Grande
GMC High Sierra
GMC Sierra Classic
Production 1973?987

Engine 250 cu in (4.1 L) I6
292 cu in (4.8 L) I6
262 cu in (4.3 L) V6
305 cu in (5.0 L) V8
350 cu in (5.7 L) V8
400 cu in (6.6 L) V8
454 cu in (7.4 L) V8
350 cu in (5.7 L) Oldsmobile Diesel V8
379 cu in (6.2 L) Detroit Diesel V8
Transmission 3-speed Turbo Hydra-Matic 350 automatic
3-speed Turbo Hydra-Matic 400 automatic
4-speed Turbo Hydra-Matic 700R4 automatic
3-speed Saginaw manual
4-speed Saginaw Muncie SM465 manual
4-speed New Process NV833 overdrive manual

/ If you have forgotten what older trucks were like #50  
Looking at this document from the gm archives, the only way you could get a 350 in a C10/1500 Chevy pickup in 1985 was to buy one with California emissions and 4x4. In other states, the only engine choices were the V6, the 305V8, or the diesel. As I recall now, the guy we bought the truck from said he purposely got the California emissions AND 4x4 so he could get the 350. Its all coming back now.

See around page 22 of this PDF document.

https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/do...its/Chevrolet-Trucks/1985-Chevrolet-Truck.pdf