If you have Toolcat questions, ask them here...

/ If you have Toolcat questions, ask them here... #11  
UFM82,

Thank you for the info! I have been thinking about a third Toolcat but was unsure if I wanted to wait for a low hour/used B series or look at new C series.

timm9

/ If you have Toolcat questions, ask them here...
CRJ- I've spent my life as a mechanic and a fleet manager for a landscape company. I currently work for and sell Bobcats and have 12+ years of experience in this field. I had 4 machines at the L/S company I managed before coming here so I have hands on as well as product knowledge.

I'll be glad to help anyone with questions.

UFM82

Timm- depending on what you do, the used B series could well work. If the rollback issue is a critical issue, stick with the C.

/ If you have Toolcat questions, ask them here... #13  
UFM82 - With the Hi-Flo hydraulics option(26gpm I believe) can one use something like the Fecon Bull Hog(small tree clearing mulching attachment) which is commonly used with skid-steers and excavators? If it could handle the Bull Hog the only question is whether the windshield is protective enough for the flying debris? Many thanks for your reply.

The Toolcat cannot handle the Fecon units. I handle the Fecons as well and they work extremely well on the large frame tracked machines such as the T250 or T300. However, with an operating weight of 1 ton for even the smallest Fecon unit, the BH62SS , they are not approved or functional on a Toolcat. Their minimum flow requirement is 27GPM and the Toolcat puts out 27.3GPM. That's the minimum required flow and that alone would cause me to steer away. However, the Toolcat won't handle that weight for very long. I wouldn't do it and I doubt you'll find a rental store/dealer that would let you try.

Also, the windshield is not impact rated to withstand the abuse a Fecon tyoe unit can dish out. That wouldn't protect you well enough should a limb of rock come flying at you.

UFM82

/ If you have Toolcat questions, ask them here... #15  
UFM82,

I have a need to mow CRP ground (2-3' tall grasses) at a minimum of 8-10". I have the 72" finish style mower but that has a max cutting height of 5.5" and the BrushCat has a max cutting height of 4". I plan on buying the 90" finish style mower and fabricating a set of larger wheels to meet my minimum cutting requirements. The larger wheel set would be setup for mowing 6-9". I may also use the larger wheel set for pasture mowing. The Toolcat with the finish style mower is well suited for pasture mowing with the exception of the small mower wheels that don't stand up to the abuse.

Do you know if Bobcat has any plans for a wheel option that would be better suited for agriculture use?

dsb

/ If you have Toolcat questions, ask them here... #16  
UFM82,

I am considering purchasing 2 new C-series Toolcats (tubo, hi-flow, heat, A/C, deluxe road package, turf tires, air pre-cleaner, primary rear hydraulics, pto kit, keyless start, bed liner, rear window guard, radio, etc.) with FC200 flail cutter and the 90" mower attachment for ROW maintenance and large institutional/industrial property management.

Questions:
-I understand the flail cutter is approved for use on the Toolcat, but because of the size and weight, does the Toolcat handle this attachment well(hydraulic wise)? I will be mowing 2'-3' high grass with intermittent small brush.
-Which way does the flail rotor rotate, (forward or reverse rotation)?
-One change I have noticed on the C-series Toolcats is the visor on the top front of the cab (which the 4 work lights are mounted under). It appears to be made of plastic and has been extended over the work lights by a couple of inches. Also, the 2 inboard work lights have been spaced slightly closer to the outboard lights. Do you know why they have changed this? Has the cab been redesigned?
-I have received an itemized quote from my local dealer and have noticed that the air filter intake pre-cleaner kit (which is a must for mowing) costs $619.70. Why is the price so high? What else is the kit composed of other than a clear dust separator bowl and extension pipe? Is my dealer is trying to stick-it-to-me?
-What is the maximum degree of slope a Toolcat can traverse?

I would appreciate any feedback or experience you may have with the above questions. Thanks.

Eric V.

DSB- I do not have first hand experience with anyone modifying the mower to do what you want to do. However, that doesn't mean it can't be done. Keep in mind that any modifications that you do to the unit without permission from Bobcat Co. will render your warranty void. That being said, I see no reason why you couldn't do what you are planning provided the safety shut-off continues to function. As the height of the deck increases you'll need to pay attention to the travel limits. My reservation would be the height at which you are mowing and the likelihood of objects being thrown from under the deck. I would only use it under certain conditions where no personal or property damage could occur.

I had several John Deere TriCycler mowers at my previous place of employment that were set up to mow at extreme heights, upwards of 10" for some specific landscaping designs we did. Euonymous was one particular species we would cut high like that. The Deere guys would shield their eyes and feign ignorance when they saw us. LOL

UFM82

/ If you have Toolcat questions, ask them here... #18  
UFM82 - Thanks for the reply. I thought it might be a stretch. I did not realize the smallest Bull Hog weighed in at 1 ton. I would imagine that the hydraulic flow, lift capacity, and safety cab configurations on skid-steers and excavators are better suited for the Bull Hogs. Thank you again.

Eric,
The Toolcat should do very well with the FC200 flail mower. While the operating weight of the unit is slightly higher than the ROC of the Toolcat, it must be on the ground to operate. That eliminates any boom issues. The flail mower will do very well in your application- particularly the heavy grass and light brush. The flails on the drum are heavy-duty and do a great job. The nice thing about the unit is the adjustability- by raising or lowering the drum height you can change how the unit mulches. I am a little put off by the cost of the unit but we have one in our rental fleet now and it has been very popular.

The flail rotation direction is from the rear of the unit forward. While the bi-directional hydraulics on Bobcats will allow rotation in either direction, it will only cut in the forward rotation. This also prevents objects from being thrown back at the cab of th machine.

The visor is indeed made of plastic and is different than that of the A and B series. I really don't know the reasoning behind the change- I can only guess that functionality hasn't changed but production costs were lowered? As for the light spacing, I don't think it's all that significant.

You are correct on the pre-cleaner. The list price from Parts is indeed $619. That is exactly what it says in my price book for the option. After examining the parts list, I am puzzled as well. Tubing and a pre-cleaner unit appear to be the extent of the kit. No, your dealer isn't raping you- he's straight up on the price. Is it worth it? Toolcats operate in some pretty dusty conditions and dust kills. I would most likely add the option if I ever planned to mow or work in dusty areas. Of course, I don't own a Toolcat so it's easy for me to say that! :) I just sell 'em- I don't make 'em or price 'em.

As for gradeability, (the theoretical grade that a machine can climb) Bobcat does not publish a number. The only product they assign a gradeability # to is the excavator line. Skid loaders and Toolcats do not have gradeability figures as they can be weighted or counterweighted depending on load and the #s will change. I can personally say the 30° has not been an issue here at our shop. The machine handles very well on such an incline with no wheel spin and no loss of control. That is an empty machine with a bucket on the front, nothing in the bucket. Obviously a load in the bed or in the bucket will affect the performance.

UFM82

/ If you have Toolcat questions, ask them here... #20  
UFM82

I really appreciate the reply and info. I plan to demo a Toolcat next Monday and I think this will help answer some of my concerns. Thanks for your help!
Eric V.