ignition key

/ ignition key #1  

Eric_Phillips

Platinum Member
Tractor
FarmTrac 270DTC
Are the ignition keys on tractors truly universal? I parked my tractor in the front lawn knowing I was going to need it again soon so I took the key out. Now that key has vanished into thin air. I was wondering if those universal keys at TSC might work. The tractor is a Farmtrac 270DTC. The picture of the universal keys on their web site look similar but not exact.

/ ignition key #2  
I would put a call into the dealer. There seems to be several variations of universal keys. If the key at TSC is for the Farmtrac then it most likely will work.

/ ignition key #3  
Are the ignition keys on tractors truly universal?

I think the answer is "sort of." The super of a construction project I was visiting pulled out a ring of maybe two dozen keys and said that with them he could start most any kind of power equipment on the job site. That says there are a number of variations, but large numbers of common keys. I suspect that if a key is supposed to work with your model it probably does.

/ ignition key #4  
JD is that way unless specified when buying.

/ ignition key #5  
our two JD tractors have universal keys, the JD skid steer is unit specific

/ ignition key
THank you for the replies. I looked at TSC and their keys looked like the key for my Farris mower which did not work. LS is still using the same ignition switch so the dealer had them in stock.